xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
keri-j

Opening Our Minds, It's Happening In My School Thanks to the small Bi/Gay community

Cultures and Sexualitys etc. helping to open people's minds?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

what i have seen in alot of articles is that poeple who go to all girls/ all boys schools are more likely to turn out gay/lesbian than if they went to a mixed comprehensive.i didnt find this that suprising but it certainly proves that when poeple are in social groups of only boy or girls they have a higher chance of being/becoming gay/bi/lesbian overall this is quite a good thing since it would discriminate traces of homophobia within schools and let poeple get used to how other poeple think and like you said open their minds and see that not everyone is the same as youheymish

Thanks for all the replies, it's great to see that some people understand me! Did I mention I hate christianity? I've got nothing against christians as people, just the the ones who think that anyone who isn't christian or doesn't conform to christianity is sinful and will go to hell and should be physically abused. :)

Argh, I know. I am 16, and people have actually suggested to me that maybe I am just confused about my sexuality, and have been for the past 8 years. :) When you know, you know- regardless of age- but for some reason people don't understand this. I think that perhaps people are reluctant to admit that people don't 'turn' or 'decide' to be gay/bi/asexual suddenly, rather than it just coming about as naturally as being straight does for others.

I get this so much! Especially when they say that kids my age can be straight but not bi or gay! Which is totally hippocritical seeing as just before saying that they say that I'm probably confused as no one knows their sexuality at my age!

I just hope the world can grow up!

Edited by keri-j (see edit history)

@ not knowing your sexuality at young agesDon't you just love how to world seems to thing that people under the age of 18 are un-capable of making decisions on their own? I mean, what does being 18 have to do with anything? You have to be 18 to move out of the house, you have to be 18 to be able to do something on your own without the consent of a parent or guardian. And NOW you have to be 18 to determine whether you like guys or gals? I don't think that's appropriate, i think that people under 18 should be able to make decisions on their own, but on some things need permission to do, like field trips for school, getting out of school early (Early Dismissals). When i say make their own decisions, i don't mean make MAJOR decisions in their lives, I'm talking about minor ones such as whether they like guys or gals.But as you said keri-j, hopefully someday the world will grow up and realize that there is an elite group of people out there who are under the age of 18 and are capable of making decisions on their own with having everybody and their mother contradict what the decision is (Everyone and their mother is basically saying EVERYBODY)

I don't think anyone is bisexual, and the reason is...well you stated a big reason, you say you like guys more...and you apparently [from what you wrote] flirt with guys a lot more, so do you even ever think of girls...ever? Do you just say you are bi to get a little bit of normalcy? Did you ever wonder maybe you just call yourself bi, so people who don't agree with homosexuality will still be able to accept you thinking, one day you will end up with a woman? I am not saying at 13 you can't have a stable sexuality and know what you are, but at 13...do you really even know yourself? I have been gay for as long as i can remember, and no i have never liked girls, but i never flat out said i was gay, until 3 years ago...you just shouldn't smack a label on yourself at such a young age, because teenage years are so up and down, and one minute someone is gay, the next straight...Anyway as for open mindedness, i think that people have become open minded, because more people are coming out. There isn't a greater number of gays and lesbians than there was before, but more are coming out. There wont ever be more gays or lesbians than straight people, there will just slowly be more outted and open ones. People can't be open minded of things they didn't know existed, and now that people know gays and lesbians exist, they technically do have an open mind. However the problem with homosexuality being so 'new' to the world, many kids feel they want to be different and act as if they like the same gender...so that is a problem, especially for gays who want to prove that homosexuality isn't a choice, but because straights act as if its so different, and so 'horrible' younger kids want to push those peoples buttons...its just a sad cycle.

I say I'm Bi, not just for some normalcy, but because I may be unsure about my sexuality, but I know I'm not totally gay because I still find girls attractive... and do have some sexual incidences with those of the opposite sex.

JasperIK said at 13, do I even know myself? I really don't know... I don't think I'll ever know myself. I'm sorta "disconnected" from my conciousness... it's weird I'm gonna write one of the biggest topics Xisto has ever seen sometime with EVERYTING in it.

heymish said

what i have seen in alot of articles is that poeple who go to all girls/ all boys schools are more likely to turn out gay/lesbian than if they went to a mixed comprehensive

This may be true, but my primary school (5-11 years old) was mixed, and although supposedly you have no sexuality at that age, I just kind of "knew". What I do agree with is that you have no sex-life at that age, you may just have a sexuality though. I think all this stuff about ages and sexualitys really depends on the individual.

I know that I'm not just saying I'm gay to stand out or anything, although I know someone in my school who I think is, he was saying he was Bi, then I heard from the school's gay comunity that he wasn't very involved and he himself said he was "rebelling against the gay comunity" and now (after the negative attention), says that he's "unsure". I simply KNOW he's straight.

Something that may help explain 4 (maybe) is that if you are one of the comunity at school, the "elders" of the comunity control you. Well, not really control you... but you have the respect to obey them because they're older and they pretty much fight for your rights day in day out. I myself have been physical protected by one of them once. And if people are saying nasty things orientated around your sexuality (or sometimes not).... they'll back you up :)

I have no idea why I numbered this... It's just a little update. Although I may extend it further at a later date.

Edited by keri-j (see edit history)

@ not knowing your sexuality at young ages
Don't you just love how to world seems to thing that people under the age of 18 are un-capable of making decisions on their own? I mean, what does being 18 have to do with anything? You have to be 18 to move out of the house, you have to be 18 to be able to do something on your own without the consent of a parent or guardian. And NOW you have to be 18 to determine whether you like guys or gals? I don't think that's appropriate, i think that people under 18 should be able to make decisions on their own, but on some things need permission to do, like field trips for school, getting out of school early (Early Dismissals).

When i say make their own decisions, i don't mean make MAJOR decisions in their lives, I'm talking about minor ones such as whether they like guys or gals.

But as you said keri-j, hopefully someday the world will grow up and realize that there is an elite group of people out there who are under the age of 18 and are capable of making decisions on their own with having everybody and their mother contradict what the decision is (Everyone and their mother is basically saying EVERYBODY)

Well, if your under 18 you can like girls or boys.
But you cannot marry them, you can't also hold a big responsibility.
It's now set to 18 because in our world most people under 18 can't hold complete responsibility for themselfs.
And our parents must guard us to do anything because in this world, there are many things that could happen without a guard, such as making a big mistake which no one can stop you, breing kidnapped which no one can save you or even know about it. But most people above 18 can take care of themselfs, they have more strength, more wisdom and more experience.
Our parents do not want us to risk our lives to just do something.
Think of when your a kid. You do funny stuff and sometimes really silly.
But when you are a kid, you think it's ok.
And for liking girls or boys, why not?
some of our parents do let us do that, some does'nt.
If my parents is like that, why not try explaining things to them?
Some do not let us like girls or boy because they are afraid that we will have a baby.
Some parents are wise enaugh to trust you.
They explain to you that why we cannot do this or that, and not keeping you from the problem but solving the problem.
for example:
As mother A:
she explains why we cannot have a baby with each other, why we cannot be too close to each other.
she explains about the law, and why our law was set like this.
she thinks that you are big enaugh to think for yourself, because you already hit puberty(or how it's spelled).
now you end up understanding them, and control yourself.
As mother B:
she stops you from going into a girl/boy, stops you from having love.
making you confused, why can't you be with someone you like? Why can mom be with dad?
Why must I be 18 first??
now you end up mad, and sad...

As for being a gay/lessbian, it's ok, but for unwise/unopen minded parents, they think it's bad because they think "I don't even do that, no one normal does that" or "gay guy looks like a girl/not man, my son is gay? It's abnormal!" They need to understand...it's not about the new generation, new thoughts, mutation or you are a bad person, it's just absolutly normal!
EDIT: typing error.
Edited by quakesand (see edit history)

Sorry for having to disagree, but you're only 13 man. You can probably only remember like the last 7 or 8 years of your life. It's way to early to label yourself as bi when you haven't even fully matured yet. Everyone was 13 once, and I'm sure everyone else will agree how naive you are when you're 13.And with the greatest amount of respect possible, isn't it a huge oxymoron to be openly bisexual and go to a catholic school? I mean, Christianity teaches tolerance, but I'm shocked that you are still allowed to go there.

I only go to the school because it's a good school and I want to good employment prospects, and I know that my parents want to give me a good start in life; go to a good school, get a good job, have a nice life. And even if the teachers at the school knew that I was gay/bi/whatever, it would be illegal for them to kick me out, human rights ;). I am fairly mature for my age, but I do agree that I'm not 100% sure... That is, I know I'm either gay or bi... I just don't know how much and in which direction.

A boy in my school who I get on with fairly well said that he disliked bisexuals because they were just gays who were trying to keep some normalcy, I can see what he means (even though it is not so in my case, because I'm not very sure of my sexuality) and I can see that what he says can go both ways. I have a friend who is 16, he says he's bi, but I've never seen him with a boy... I have however seen him with various girls. Most of his friends are gay, and I think that maybe he's saying he's bi for a bit of normalcy... interesting.

Everyone knows about Gay/Bi people. But it is the upbringing, it is due to their parents on how they react to them. The prober understanding of why people are gay/bi would expand their minds on society. Look at america for example, they empraced the gay nation and they have nearly appceted it. People are free in america, and now are even more so. But for us Brits they is phobos of gay people. And I think they will be for a long time to come.

yeah, I've got an opinion ;) I'm sick of all those queer and bi and straight people giving me strange looks and sometimes kind of insulting remarks for throwing in the keyword "asexuality" when they're talking about sexual orientations. It's not like I'm encouraged to tell anyone that I'm asexual when I get remarks like that... (well, it's way easier to tell this stuff on the net - I can choose to ignore anyone attacking me for that...)
well, I'd sign your opinion if you'd mentioned asexuals ;)

-edit- there was an error in one of my sentences, making it kind of hard to understand. *fixed*

Umm... Doesnt asexual mean like one person?

Anyway

Ya there are gays, bisexuals and all of that at my school too. but i dont make fun of them or anything like that. i talk to them like i would talk to my strait friends and whatnot. i am strait and always will be too.