xisto Community
FirefoxRocks

Windows Vista: Prices

Microsoft Canadian Website has released prices (accidentally). I think they are now confirmed by Microsoft because the the spread of the information from blogs to major websites.

Here are the Windows Vista prices:

Windows Vista Home Basic - $199 ($99.95 to upgrade)Windows Vista Home Premium - $239 ($159 to upgrade)
Windows Vista Business - $299 ($199 to upgrade)
Windows Vista Ultimate - $399 ($259 to upgrade)
Windows Vista No-computer - $0 ($0 to upgrade)

The last one? It was just a joke! :) It doesn't really exist, unless Microsoft decides to make it, which would be really stupid.

These prices are in US Dollars. Personally, I think Vista is too expensive to buy the Operating System. I would just buy another hard drive/computer.

Those seem about right for a windows operating system. First of all, most people will not need anything above Home Basic (esp. if they dont have a graphics card to handle Aero which isnt included in it). Secondly, the reason these prices have to be high is because most people wont upgrade without a new computer being purchased and this way they will make more money than just the deal with computer manufacturers like Dell.

Well i get all microsoft software sent to me anaway so ill get all the vista's and stuff i just have to pay microsoft $200 dollars a year which roughly translates to about ?150

i would prefer Windows Vista Home Premium. it has all the features with new graphics. and i think it's better to buy a new computer that is already equipped with windows vista becuase i think it wouldn't cost that much.

Any lists with specific features for each one? I've seen features for Vista, but not individual versions. I'm going to guess it's nothing terribly major other than some bundled software and minor operation improvements, etc...But yeah, they do seem the right price for a Windows OS.

Reasonable prices but damn, thats way too expensive for me. Anyway i always get any program by $5 dollars (50 pesos) here in Mexico :)And do you all think that a Pentium4 3.00 Ghz, 512 RAM and a Radeon 9550 256MB would support perfectly that OS? i guess yes, but i heard somewhere that this new OS will be demanding the most of PC performance.

Download the Microsoft Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor RC. It features Vista's features on the scanning page.
You can also see the features here, at Microsoft Vista's website.

My PC can run Vista, however I have to get some driver updates and that WDDM driver, I can't find it anywhere!

Now that Vista has been officially released, all new computers will ocme with it preinstalled instead of XP. According to PC World, Home Basic is so basic that it's not even worth getting. Personally, I think Home Premium is the minimum anyone should get, even if they don't have the graphics power to run Aero Glass. Business seems nice too, especially since it includes the new and updated networking features, which I think are pretty useful (so does PC World).

as all other software, i'll buy massively cheaper version, and if it is any good 'm going for the origi.. upsk.. premium software.. ;)edit: lol, i watched those demo movies and it doesnt even go smooth in them.. i wonder how much will it take for the first patch to be updated..

Edited by matak (see edit history)

I want Windows Vista Ultimate if I could get it. But my parents won't let me. So realistically, I'd say Home Premium Academic Upgrade. Either that, or I'd buy a new computer. My parents, being Chinese, support Lenovo. So I hope I can get a ThinkPad with Home Premium installed. If that doesn't happen, I think I'll just get Ubuntu. I don't want Home Basic. There's no point getting it. My parents say they'll get a new laptop sometime soon. If it's a laptop with Home Basic, I'll just install Ubuntu on the old laptop. It's, in some ways better than Vista.

If you take one look at any chart comparing the Windows Vista editions, you will quickly learn that Home Basic is too basic. Even if you don't want (or can't use) Aero Glass, there are other new programs that you might be interested in that are included in Home Premium. Home Basic should probably be reserved for first-time computer users.

Edited by michaelper22 (see edit history)

Ah, yes, expensive, but from what I hear, if you buy Vista Ultimate, you get as many copies of Home Premuim lisences you want for only 50 dollars each. I don't know if this is a nationwide thing, but there doing it in my city. Which if you think about it, it's a very good deal.

Seems a bit steep for now, although if I had to choose I'd probably take the Home Premium....as in get a new computer that has it pre-installed instead of getting a separate upgrade package.

Dudes, i didn't payed for vista!! but i have a legal copy...

I downloaded the beta version and 2 weeks later i've dowloaded the patch.

When i've installed the patch i was able to update and all the things you can do in the original version(ultimate!!).

I downloaded the patch from the official microsoft website so it isn't a crack!!

Lucky me :P

grtz, Styno

Notice from jlhaslip:

Signatures

You have been signing-off your posts. Please use the Signature Block of your Profile. Continuing to sign-off your posts will result in a - warning being registered against your account. -

- Xisto Readme -

Dudes, i didn't payed for vista!! but i have a legal copy...I downloaded the beta version and 2 weeks later i've dowloaded the patch.
When i've installed the patch i was able to update and all the things you can do in the original version(ultimate!!).
I downloaded the patch from the official microsoft website so it isn't a crack!!
Lucky me :P

grtz, Styno

Somehow I have a feeling that your copy of Vista will stop working in April or May this year. Microsoft has previously put expiration dates on beta software, to the best of my knowledge.