xisto Community
red_dragon_here

Is There Life Anywhere Else On The Universe ?

In my humble opinion there is life in the universe. It is only that as human specie is so selfish that we cannot see nor we can understand the point of how large is universe. That's why we mostly consider ourselves as special and only one. However I wouldn't agree with such opinion and to some extent we already agree to existence of extraterrestrials when you believe in god. Which might have seeded us into this planet. If you look into Kur'ran (hopefully I spelled that alright) there are some things written which in fact explain existence of other lifeforms next to distant stars. And I would like to add quotation from discovery channel not exact. They explained that there are so many planets just in our galaxy and every 1000 planet is capable of supporting life similar to our own. That makes 10 of thousands planets capable of supporting life with similar conditions to our own planet and what if we consider that life might just form in some other form not even similar to our own or maybe not eve perceivable by us. I think that it is feasible thing to say that life is almost statistical certainty.

Of course there is. if we live in a world where there are millions of other glaxies beside the milky way, then of course there has to be life in the other millions of galxies. Now, I am not saying they are aliens or anything else. But, they maybe humans just like us, but in another world with betetr technology and much more knowledge attained. Or I could be completely wrong with this theory, but it just seems like that there is not way that we are the only lifeforms in the world, there must be more out there!

This one sentence says it all in my oppinion. I only wish I knew the name of the scientist that said it.

To suggest that we are alone in the universe is inexcusably egocentric._____Scientist

I for one do believe there is life out there besides us; however, not so much other organisms, if you catch my drift. ;)

[. . .] [1]He held in his hand a plastic container holding 4 grams of sand. He spread them out and counted 1/4 of the sand grains which were 500. the total numer of sand grains were 2000. He then said that a two (2) tonne truck can hold 500 000 000 grains of sand. Now imagine a row of two tonne trucks all loaded with sand bumper to bumper around the equator. Every single grain of sand is a star. [. . .] [2]Of course there is life - you would have to have a very small mind to think so.

[1]This reminds me of something.[2]I wouldn't say they are ignorant or have a small mind. Some people require proof. By that i mean if other life doesn't come into contact with us, to them, everything is just words placed together to make it seem logical and like as if there is life out there or there would be a high possibility of life out there. Until any contact with them and this other 'life' is made, there is no proof and just mere words for them—which in reality that's what it all seems to be. The farthest they'll come to believe would probably be just bacteria, but that's not what they had in mind, as far as i'm concerned.

Hmm it depends here highly what and how we define organisms and what do we expect to find out. If we are taking for example any organisms they will probably be found some of the theoretical scientists have stated that even the life on the planet earth might have been started by microorganisms from the other planet. Actually from the other cosmic body like asteroid or so. So it doesn't matter if it is similar to our form or way of life or if we even process information I think that we are all discussing that here whether there is consciousness in the universe that is conscious life form. With which we would be able to communicate and reason learn and so on. That is and should be point of this discussion. Because there are many predictions that there is micro life on the Europe that is satellite.

not only do i think that there could be life in other solar systems, i bet that almost every single one has some type of life filled planet. maybe even more than one. i could just be bacterial life or even intelegent life.anyway it is it would be selfish and stupid of us to think that out of all the galaxies and solar systems we are the only planet that has life. it would also be selfish of us to think that the life on those planets are like us. like you know with limbs and whatever... our physical form.i don't know... it is hard to assume.there are known knowns and known unknowns and there are unknown unknowns. those unknown unknowns suggest that we know nothing about life outside ourselves so it is even hard to me to state my opinion on this topics.

I find it completely impossible, that we are the only life in our large universe. Life doesn't have to be advanced, ,microorganisms might inhabit a planet, which would till be considered a form of life. Mars once had water, maybe there is still a small form of life in its frozen ice caps? I also heard that another planet similar to Earth was discovered, so maybe it might have life that is either advanced or primitive

there must be life outside our planet and to think otherwise is really stupid just look at the life on earth it has developed in so hostile environments that someone would say it is impossible if you told him so.within last few months scientists have discovered planet that has temperature which is similar to the temperature on earth so liquid water can exist there and we all know that water is basis of life on earth so why not there.that planet is not far from earth in universe proportions.but even without water life could exist based on some other elements in very different environments and probably very different shapes which we can't even think of.just think of this every time you are in doubt every star you see in the night sky is potential sun and for each star you see there billions and billions and billions... of others

The fact that Pluto was taken off the list of planets had me thinking about other planets and other galaxies.

Surely somebody like us will be inhabilting one of those distant galaxies. If life started on the Earth, then it should have started on any other planet near a start like the sun. And there would be many such planets.

What sort of people world they be ? Would they also have houses, electronic stuff, nuclear weapons etc. Would they be more advance than us ? Communicate by thought. Travel through time etc. Would they travel through space and find us. Because there is no chance of our finding anybody in the near future. If somebody else is living on this universe they have to come and find us out.

Lets wait for them...

Universe is not more complex than u imagine,

It is more complex than u can not imagine.

How can scientists assume that the other form of life outside earth ll also need same basic things for existence as in earth?

Is it impossible that some form of life ll not even need oxygen ,water ? There may be some form of life which is totally different from that of earth?

I have recently been looking into some topics on another unknow planet within our system known as planet 'X' this planet suppsosedly is the only true fact of how our Earth could've been created. Every 50,000 years this planet passes extremely closely to Earth and the last time it smashed the planet in half with a full blown impact, one half formed Earth while the other is unknown as of today. If half of this planet has fromed us then surely the other half would be able to inhabit life depending on it's position within the universe. For thos wondering this planet is supposed to next pass Earth in 2012 and is thus recorded as being the Apocalypse by Mayans and thus why their calendar ends on the 21st decmber 2012. Nostradarmos (sp) also has recordings of such an Apocalyptic event and he also has a date set at 2012.

Life? Umm, there surely is on Mars...some bacteria, fungus maybe...and yeah, a bunch of interesting viruses, I guess. I'm skeptical that there's any type of what we call life (multicellular organisms with an advanced degree of structural development) anywhere close to us. NASA and other agencies all over the world have been studying for 'alien' life forms for more than half a century, yet they only came up with 'habitable' planets, but there's no sign there might be life on any of them.

When you realise how big the universe is, you realise how probable it is there is life somewhere else. It would be cool to make contact with an alien species and have a chat. :)Although, they might not communicate using the same senses as us. Imagine that, they use all that effort to get here, but have no method of communication. Makes you wonder.

There are some questions which can't be answered, as people from SETI build those antennas to detect some waves from other beings. We have to just wait.But I think there might creatures in other planet who don't need water, air at all.We can't be sure of anything. If someday they visit us, they may be surprised that we need water and oxygen as bare essential for life.And this topic would never going to end...

We shouldn't try to make first contact! We should develop our own technologies so that atleast we are on par with maybe asgard (from stargate). Because there is without a doubt that many 'aliens' out there are not going to be friendly. Trying to make first contact is inviting a technologically superior species to Earth, and what if they react violently? We'd be helpless... and remember the saying -curiosity killed the four legged feline (cat).Also, the moon Europa orbiting Jupiter has an ice surface, considering what Jupiter can do to Io then underneath the surface of Europa must be vast oceans teeming with life. Life doesn't need sunlight, as long as it has warmth, moisture, and nutrients it will survive. Considering how many solar systems that area out there (googols, maybe even googolplexes) of 'em. About atleast 3/4? will be blue supergiants with super gas giants orbiting it etc etc. Others will have super gas giants orbiting suns and during summer (on that planet) half of it goes inside the star itself.Others will have a look similar to our solar system but that number will be miniscule.And last of all, the pictures of stars we are seeing are actually millions and billions of year old, some stars would have even being destroyed and moved. So a star presumed to be '10 million years old' and is '10 billion light years away' but in real-time the star is already 10 bil+10mil years old...Just considering how vast the universe is, there must be live. There could even be life on the ice surface of Europa...

Okay, I'm just going to go through one of my many theories on the subject.YesI fully believe that there is life elsewhere in the universe.As I'm sure was mentioned many times in this thread, if you take in the sheer size of the universe, and take in the massive, massive amounts of rock bodies and planets, all with slightly different compositions... There has to be life on other planets.Didn't scientists find a planet last year or the year before that they thought had an atmosphere similar to Earth's, or they thought humans might be able to survive in?I mean, that has nothing to do with my theory, but if my memory serves me correctly, that there proves that Earth isn't all that unique. And neither is life.However, I try my hardest not to share the same arrogance that most of the human race does when they theorize on this subject.And I apologize for the use of the word arrogance, but it's what I see it as. I don't see this as a negative use of the term though.I don't see why, if there is other life in the universe, that it would be civilized in any way such as humans.Think about itThere are thousands, maybe millions, of different kinds of life on Earth alone... And only one species managed to civilize themselves, and managed to make the (what has to be) one in a million chance pass over into starting to evolve into discovering things like technology.While I wouldn't be surprised if there were species on other planets that, say, had technology similar to prehistoric man, or even with a language. I just don't see it likely that there are other life forms in the universe hanging out behind the computer.I don't see any reason why an alternate life form, billions of light years away, would follow the same path in evolution that humans have found.---On a slightly more pessimistic note:If there are other life forms out there, I don't think it will ever be revealed to us.As much as I hate to put limits on possibilities,traveling at a speed above the speed of light doesn't seem much like a possibility. None the less, several million times the speed of light.Which is what would be required to travel to one of these distant stars, that are billions of light years away, in any amount of time comparable to the human life span.So something tells me our universe is going to end up like North America and Europe before the 13th century (14th? 15th? Whenever Columbus sailed his *bottom* over and said "hey, there's inhabited land here").There's life out there, life living,But we just won't know about it.And just to add to the first part of my post, because I realized something as I made the Columbus analogy,When Columbus did, indeed, sail across to North America, it was revealed that Europe and Asia's technology was vastly superior to that of the "New World"'s people. In fact, I'm near positive that European explorers referred to the First Nations people as 'Primitives' or 'Savages'.Finding life on other planets would probably be moderately similar to this.It could be there,And it could be living perfectly adequately for itself,But it won't be living like us.