xisto Community
Dooga

Viruses That Hurt Hardware

Tweak your windows register, and denie acces from it with a password. Then a virus cant enter anything in it with the use of your account. Due to the password.I tweak windows register for permanent fan speed, and max cpu performence and memory. Put a pass on it and the virus coud never ever change anything what you dont want. That way spyware cant ether autostart due to you have lockd the autostartup programs in the register.

Thats a very good idea, and I'd like to know how to do that. Is there a simple way to do this or do you have to be a supergod to hack the darn thing!

Appreciate advice on how to set registry password. (maybe quick new tut thread???)

James

Nowdays there are no why to be worried. Yes, it is truth, about 10 years past now, there was viruses who was maded to flash into BIOS, and run on start of computer. Kaljinka, was the most dangerous. When you turn on your computer, it was just showing some random colours, and play music on beeper... But in that time, DOS was "best you can find" OS. Now we have winXP, and with winXP, there is no way to run an aplication with higher priority than a OS. It can be done, like antivirus does, but those aplications are big, and not like a viruses in most of cases, small but efective... If you update your BIOS regulary, you do not have to worry. There is a option in BIOS, "Virus protect" just turn it on, and there is no way you can get a BIOS virus. There is, but only in case you do not update your BIOS on time...

I haven't heard of this virus before. Hopefully I don't end up with that on my computer. Sounds as bad as the one that continually restarts the computer. I never thought that overusage and then sudden stop of using CPU could hurt your computer beucase that happens to me when I tried playing a few games it jumped my CPU up to about 99% and as soon as I closed the game it went back to normal. I have deleted that game though and had only played it for like a week and a half so I hope it didn't do that much damage although I used it continually during that time.

Wahhhhhhthat is an antique virus..................................I want to see this virus................ do you have berakdMay be this virus created using assembler

Well, I dont like to abuse my things, but I do threaten my things. "IF YOU DONT WORK! I'm going to break you!" after the next couple of tries it works... but about that virus... the virus, is spreading all over... it affects everything it is so horrible that someone would want to create something that would destroy someones computer that probally cost around 600 - 2000+ mine cost 1600$ USD and I got it on sale... I would be furious if it happend to me just if you are out surfing, make sure that activex doesnt run on anypages this is one main cause of the virus and scan each download file very carefully I recommend PCillien... thats what I use and it scans the files as they download and lets you know if there is any malicous software in it and gives you the chance to stop download immediatily and even STOP internet access so it can be dealt with easily.

If you are using a old OS i.e. win95. The MBR may not be protected, so the virus may start even before DOS is started. All newer OSes have the MBR protected, so could be that.

I think you should consider the other option that this might not necessarily be a virus. We should not be too quick to adjudge a system virus-infected when it starts acting funny. Some system file may be corrupt in which case you could do a system repair with windows cd that came with the system. This you can do by booting up the system with said CD in the drive, select install option and when it loads up it will detect the existing windows installation, then you pick Repair installation - it will replace system files whilst keeping your files on system intact. You could also alternatively Restore the system up to point where the system was working right.

A Report on a NewsPaper

(IDG) -- The first virus capable of damaging computer hardware is in the wild, but reports vary on whether it's a serious risk to most PC users.

The CIH virus was first discovered last month in Taiwan. Besides infecting Windows 95, 98, and NT portable executable files, CIH contains a routine that, when triggered, will overwrite the code in the infected PCs system BIOS, the software that's contained in a chip on the PC's motherboard and is loaded on boot-up to control the keyboard, disk drives, and other system functions.

"It flashes [the BIOS] with a bunch of garbage and basically renders your machine useless because if you [try to] boot up without a BIOS, your machine doesn't boot," explains Wheat. "You actually have to take the chip out and either have it reprogrammed or purchase a new BIOS chip. But you can't do a thing with your computer other than pop your door open until you replace your BIOS chip."

it would be very awful to have that kind of virus in your computer. Something that will damage even your hardware aint something anyone would pray to have.

it would be very awful to have that kind of virus in your computer. Something that will damage even your hardware aint something anyone would pray to have.

i hate virues. i had to formated now and then because of this viruses. Then i started using AVG antivirus the best of best.I never got any virus from then since 2 years. Un beliveable .. believe it.