xisto Community
Dooga

Viruses That Hurt Hardware

I have to agree hardware viruses if they do exsist are rare but if you think about it a well executed computer virus could damage the hardware to the point that you have to replace it like a cdrom drive or a hard drive itself.Call if fuzzy logic if you can follow that, But remember if at the most extreme that you have to reinstall an os that virus could still be in the hardware floating around.So in my instanity you can say that all computer viruses are hardware viruses.

I am surprised by the signifgant lack of people who believe that hardware viruses are possible. I have known them to be possible for ages, and I'm pretty sure that there is already many well known ones that show why an antivirus is a necessity.But, it must suck to see that you have one. You may not be able to get rid of it, but you should try. If you can't, then... I hope you've got money...

I didn't say they were impossible Im just saying that they are rare and barely spoken of in the net world. Most virus are OS and software destructive cause either the elite don't bother with hardware viruses because replacing hardware is cheap especially when the systems are under warrenty and the noobs have no idea how to do it.And so they go for the most possible destruction and that's the loss of information thats critical for business.

What you want to do is if you have the option in your BIOS is enable Boot Sector Virus Protection. This will stop a virus sucking all the life out of your cpu and also if you have the option lock the CPU and fan to a constant speed. This is wjhat i do and when and if i get a virus its stops the virus from doing anything bad to my pc. Then when your in windows run a virus scan and the problem should be gone. And yes it is technically possible to get viruses that hurt hardware as all hardware hes to be controlled by software or it just simply would not function.

Yeh i know there are so many viruses that can harm your hardware. Actually they try to occupy a lot of space of your hardware memory and try to execute the garbage type program which has no sense but need a huge space to exectue that results an ill hardware crash.

il lell you, that works! my computers internet wasn't working, i threw the wireless card across the room, it hit the wall then just for the hell of it, i put it back in and it worked :D even if there was a chip in the card, so i had to buy a new one even though it worked :D
lol ive never heard of this virius, but i hope i never get it because i cant afford anything like that...

YES!!!!!!!! ive done this many of times... infact my graphics card has some electric tape holding a little black sphere thingy... cause it broke off lol... anyways...

Never heard of this virus but im sure it exists...

1 thing i sujest doing IMEDIATLY is reinstall windows or boot in safe mode and try and find it

if its slowing down your cpu fan that can be very deadly for your computer...

10 seconds without a cpu fan on todays proccessors can be very deadly for the cpu and can often fry it to a point of no return so in other words its going to destroy your computer...

so unless your looking into buying a whole new computer id get rid of the virus before you do anything else... o and also get a better virus scanner cause you shouldnt be getting these...

i know a few virus that coz ur pc to get slow, an shut it down automatically, destoy data, freeze it up etc but i never heard of that one. you make me gonna purchace the latest antivirus :D cause i deffinately dont wana end up like ur aunt.

i know a few virus that coz ur pc to get slow, an shut it down automatically, destoy data, freeze it up etc but i never heard of that one. you make me gonna purchace the latest antivirus :D cause i deffinately dont wana end up like ur aunt.

just get a reliable one that is up to date

im using norton antivirus corperate edition which was back form 2000 so far i deem it the most trusty and reliable one out there and also it dosnt bog down my computer!!!!!!!!!

Recently, my aunt just got a virus... it's not a normal virus that deletes files or monitors my movements... it's actually a virus that does permanant damage...
What it does is that is starts up with Windows, and occassionally use up your CPU excessively, causing your CPU fan to speed up. Then it suddenly drops down, so your fan slows down in a sudden stop. This not only hurts your fan, your CPU, but it also hurts your Harddrive, since your hardware's heat is inconsistent and jumpy. This resulted in some "harddrive inconsistencies" which made her computer freeze after 10 to 20 seconds after startup... ouch!

Anyone else got or know anything similar?

YA , these viruses are easy to make. tried pressing ctrl-alt - delete to see which process is using up your cpu?

Till this date I havent come across any virus(God forbid) that does hardware damage. Three years back I also had a similar thought, I thought my computer had been attacked by a virus which is eating up my processor and hard disk which wasnt the case. It turned out to be the regular 'attack of the spywares/adwares'.

u reccomend doing it with ewido....the true masters of these things are at techsupportforums.com go there post a hjt log and they will tell you what to do step by step.....i hope this helps....DONT go out and buy a new virus scanner. this will just be a total waste of money....hope this helped best of luck to you

Well she got a new computer anyways so it doesn't matter. The problem with the old one is that the harddrive is actually damaged, so even booting in safemode won't work, and any excessive use of the harddrive (such as surfing the internet) will mess it up and almost make it not work for a couple of days. But it doesn't matter, since the computer was just a temporary (crap) one she had until she bought another one, and she did.

Tweak your windows register, and denie acces from it with a password. Then a virus cant enter anything in it with the use of your account. Due to the password.I tweak windows register for permanent fan speed, and max cpu performence and memory. Put a pass on it and the virus coud never ever change anything what you dont want. That way spyware cant ether autostart due to you have lockd the autostartup programs in the register.Same as php files and the main config file of it, change in the config and the website is changed. Lock the config and your safe. This works for me also I never use a viruscanner or anti spyware simply because I do protections that windows alreaddy have.Keep windows up to date, prevent acces from registers and they coudt do anything.. And if you woud block any programs you dident accept to acces your cpu or memory etc. No harm can be done. Working like this with internet for over 10 years now never had a problem as far as i know.