xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
TypoMage

I Just Got A Toad

I just got a toad. I am pretty sure it is a male Fowler's Toad. Well most people know that a wild toad kept in captive will die more quickly then normal. But I found this one right next to about a dozen snake holes. So I put him someplace else. Then he went back there but this time he was almost swallowed by a snake. It was just about to eat him. So I saved him. I know that the snake will probably die now. But I cannot resist helping a poor toad. So I put him in a glass tank.(I have alot of experience with Toads when I was little I used to always catch them and see what they eat and we always use to catch a few then let them go again into the wild. I am also saving money by breeding my own crickets. Then the next morning my brother found a female Fowler's Toad. So we put them together hoping that they will mate. If anyone needs help on taking care for toads or breeding crickets please pm me at my name. I would not prefer you emailed me by my yahoo. And one more thing got any names for the two of my taods?

good heavens! what would you do with a family of toads when they start to breed and propagate? :P hope there is a market for toads so you can be profitable in the future at least! hehehe? kidding aside however, saving that toad from being prematurely swallowed into the food chain is commendable. <_< keeping them as pets will be good also, and i hope others will share your enthusiasm in keeping pets of whatever kind of animal -- even a toad. a pet is a pet no matter what kind it is, and as long as it is properly taken cared of by the owner, then its good. :D as for names, how about TREVOR for the male one (yeah, from harry potter -- neville longbottom's pet B))? and PEACH for the female one (princess toadstool of super mario, anyone? :))!

Ok I have figured something out. We had two males. Then a few hours ago me and my sister were looking for crickets. She spoted a female toad the size of the medium male. Then she spoted another female a little bigger then the other male.(It is obvious because the fmale is regulary bigger anyways) And they way that I know how to ID The toad from Female and Male because the female are bigger and have more bumps on there back you can see them more better then you would on a male. So know we got four toads. And my mom is afraid of toads and frogs because when she was little she would always catch frogs in her back yard then one day these older kids threw frogs at her really big ones and they oviously exploded all over her and do not need to get in the details. So now she is afraid of them. But she is kinda being supportive about it tommorow she will bring me to a pet store to get some crickets for them.I decided to buy them. Can anyone tell me a site that you can get crickets to your house for not a big amount of money and also no credit card needed?

That sounds disgusting.... B) (the part of your mom having toad pudding on her head I mean :D not keeping a toad as a pet <_< ) I never touch toads so I don't know much about them. But why do they explode when you throw them at someone's head? Do they do that theirselves? Out of fear or something? Or are their bodies just built that way? Does it fall apart when it gets hit by something hard? Another icky memory: I remember hearing once from a friend that toads also explode when you boil them in hot water O-O;;;I haven no idea on what sort of websites deliver crickets to your house, but maybe you can check at some 'toad owner's forum' or something like that, whether people breed crickets at their home for their own frogs? Perhaps for a small fee they might share some of their crickets with you. I can't think of a name at the moment, but I just wanted to say that it's an interesting story :P I don't know anyone in my surroundings who keeps toads or frogs.

Edited by ink (see edit history)

No they just threw them really hard and if a frog hits you at high speed it will just splatter. Like someone jumping off a building. SPLAT! Yea and thanks to them my mom is now terrified of toads and frogs. She used to love them. But now she does not. <_< I feel sad that she had to go through that.

wow that is so weird. I'm from Queensland, Australia. Here the toad is a major pest. everyone kills them (although for some idiotic reason it is illegal to kill them "inhumanely". we must supposedly put them in our freezer..)weve been learning about toads and the massive effects theyve had on Australia in geograhy lately. Seriously, why would you save a toad? they are such destructive pests. just play golf with them..

<_< Ok first before you decide that toads and frogs are a pest why don't you explain why you think they are a pest? They are one of the main reasons we are not over populated with bugs. I hate most bugs nats and flys horse flieas especialy. So thanks the toads and frogs. Unless you have a good reason. And also we had to let them go. We just could not care for them. Wel still love them I also got some names for them. The big male was Papi the big female was Princess Toadstool the small female was Frog and the last one we did not name good old no name. We actually kept that one. But only one.

Haha, my friend had a toad (we were in maybe 2nd or 3rd grade at the time). He kept him in a hamster cage with a plant, a little rock pool and dirt. They would release live crickets into his cage and he would catch them. It was sort of cool to watch but still really nasty, his tongue came out so fast the cricket just looked like it dissapeared out of thin air.I remember once I was at his house and we noticed the toad was missing. We looked for about a half hour, and my buddy then became frantic and told his mother. His mother was even angrier, so she had us dig up all the dirt in the cage: we still couldn't find it. We spent maybe two hours looking for the toad all around the house but we couldn't find it. I think his name was Skipper. (Cute name for such an ugly frog-thing :XD:) After those two hours, my parents came to pick me. The next day, they still couldn't find him. The day after, at school my friend came up to me and told me they had found the toad. I asked if he was alive and the boy told me yeah, he was fine. Before going to class I asked him where he had found it and he told me that the toad had been at the bottom of the plant pot the whole time. Alive and well.Oh, how evil toads can be.

OK.I love animals. I have a cat, fish, moth (that I found hurt with one wing)a snail, tadpoles, and soon a toad. There population is going down so I feel that we need to protect them, and not play golf with them.Oh and I like the names from server.

Got two toads too. I Just Got A Toad

Hi, I ran into your page when researching what to do with my 2 new toads. I am a 2nd grade teacher and love teaching Science through our pets in the classroom. Another teacher was nice enough to bring me two toads from her pond. They were stuck together when she gave them to me and had been all night, They were in about an inch of water in a small container, when they became unstuck I showed them to the students, The kids noticed a million(their words)  eggs in the bottom of the water. Is this what happens right after mating? I moved the frogs and eggs to a large aquarium with half gravel and half spring water. I am hoping they are still alive when we return on Monday. I bought crickets for them and plan on getting some earth worms. What will happen to the eggs. Any chance of tadpoles? How many crickets will they require? They are black bumpy skinned with some cream color mixed in. I am in Houston. Do you know the type of toad this is? Thanks for any help you can give me! JL