xisto Community
Tailson

Eragon Anyone else read it?

Well I have watched the movie... I did not really like it. They had a long intro, and then nothing much more happend! Maybe the book is better, but since I have seen the movie I can't see the point of doing that.

Eragon

This post must be very old because C.P. Has already finished book 3 and will be releasing it on Sept. 20 2008 (in you.S.)...And he has announced a 4th book to finish the series...The 3rd title is Brisingr...And if you go to alagaesia.Com you can read a chapter from book 3... Now I don't know about everyone else that is a fan...But personally I cant wait for book 3 or 4 and to anyone that hasnt read the series...Don't hesitate...They are the best books I have ever read and definately worth the time to read...But I do agree with alot of the people that have seen the movie...It SUCKS!...They completely ruined the story with it...But thats why I don't like movies that copy someone elses work...They can never get it right

famazing

Eragon

I love the books. I grew up reading the harry potter series and these books are better written and more intricate, paolini is a very intelligent author. As an adult, I can say they are well written enjoyable books

-reply by jumpanoxer

I've read both books and cannot wait for the third one to be released! What amazes me is just how young Paolini was when he wrote those books. He became an extremely successful author before he hit age eighteen.

The Inheritance series is pretty good; the similarities with Star Wars still bug me quite a bit (Obi Wan and Brom; farmer boy finding something special leading him on the path to greatness; Murtagh's role as Han Solo and Darth Vader.)... but the books are well written. I'm looking forward to reading the rest (September 20, you say? Awesome)

While the books were OK reads I can't say I found them impressive. The books felt too much like an amalgam of other works I've read before plus they don't really seem to have a voice of their own. Yes other authors have done this before and quite successfully, but the books just lack that feeling of authenticity. While it is remarkable that the books originally sprung from the mind of a sixteen year old (in the beginning, the author is in his twenties now) the influence of other works are far too pronounced. I can see how it came to be so popular though. A young fantasy writer comes on the scene when pop culture started to rediscover the allure of the Medieval fantasy epic. The Lord of the Rings movies of course being no small part of it. Still I hope when Pellini is done with this series of books he tries to craft something different and unique unto itself, emulating his predecessors methods and not so much their content next time around. I think for the most part this series of books is his ode to the authors that came before him. Now that he's got his feet wet I'd like to see Pellini create a work truly his own.

Edited by dimumurray (see edit history)

I have both Eragon and Eldest on loan from a friend but like the early Harry Potter books, i found Eragon a little childish and difficult to get into.I've tried but i jsut can't seem to get into it and i don't want to force myself to read it as i'll only hate it....but i do want to get onto Eldest as i've heard it's better.I even considered skipping Eragon as i've seen the movie now (even though it wasn't all that good) i just get the feeling i'll be missing out on quite a bit of the story if i did that.Can anyone advise if it's really worth trying to read through them?At the moment i'm reading through all of Terry Brooks' Shannara books while i await his latest in the current series being released on the 26th August so it's not as if i'm short of anything to read.....what do you think?

I have both Eragon and Eldest on loan from a friend but like the early Harry Potter books, i found Eragon a little childish and difficult to get into.

I've tried but i jsut can't seem to get into it and i don't want to force myself to read it as i'll only hate it....but i do want to get onto Eldest as i've heard it's better.

I even considered skipping Eragon as i've seen the movie now (even though it wasn't all that good) i just get the feeling i'll be missing out on quite a bit of the story if i did that.

Can anyone advise if it's really worth trying to read through them?

At the moment i'm reading through all of Terry Brooks' Shannara books while i await his latest in the current series being released on the 26th August so it's not as if i'm short of anything to read.....what do you think?

Personally I think that if you're into dragon-lore then one of the best series you could possibly get hold of is the "Temeraire" books by Naomi Novik. They are amazing works with a far more mature and dare I say realistic bent than most fantasy novels surrounding dragons. Novik does something quite remarkable in these books. She combines the Napoleonic Era, maritime warfare of the same period and Dragons to create an astonishingly intriguing work of fiction. She has already completed her first trilogy and is already two books into her second (having released the latest in the series in July of this year).

Here's the list of titles thus far:

His Majesty's Dragon

Black Powder War

Throne of Jade

Empire of Ivory

Victory of the Eagles

The author also has a site you can check out: Temeraire

From what I've already read (ie. everything except for 'Victory of the Eagles') I can honestly say that I found these books to be very enjoyable reads outstripping Eragon and its sequels by far. I highly recommend them to anyone looking for an engaging read.

ERAGON

Eragon

Replying to Tailson

I am now reading Eldest. The 3rd book will be out 9/22.

I started to watch the movie Eragon and was deeply disappointed with it. It skipped so much aruond and left so much out that I feel the Author got cheated immensely. It looked like some cheap overnight producer did it. I turned it off after 1/2 an hour.

I would like to see it done again but right by a major studio with the majic and awesome graphics it deserves.

The books I find good reading and have trouble putting them done. Looking forward to that third one.

Anyone have any idea how many he plans on writing on this series?

ERAGON

Eragon

Replying to iGuest very true!! the movie was so bad! I saw the movie first, and I thought it was okay, but not good. Then I read the book and I was like oh my gods! that's so stupid!the movie was so off of the book I wanted to rip my eyes off, and I have now read all the books out so far, including brisingr,and in order! also, someone has to make another eragon movie,too, like you said. Thanks.

I agree that the eragon movie was horrible but you got to admit the guy who played eragon in the movie was so hot! His name is ed speleers. You should go to his site sometime. There are some awesome pictures of him shirtless! :) 

-Swimrgal

Descriptive Title for Opinion/FeedbackEragon

I don't read books but I listen to them on cd . Loved the eragon series eragon,eldest,and brisinger, I think if they were able to make the movies exactly like the books we could have another type of movie like star wars  length wise it would take several movies to cover everything in them.  for money and not alot of people will sit through movies long enough to have 2 intermissions through out history of movies they have torn a book to shreds trying to make a movie interesting and and affordable that someone would want to go see for an hour and a half. Its a shame that the attention span and the fast pace life that american's live. Don't allow the time to actually take time to enjoy the movie  just critisis it . I enjoyed the movie and all the books. I enjoy it for what it is . A way to let the outside world go and drift into a fantasy world where all of lifes pressures don't exist. I hope they make the others into movies just to give me a great fantasy of beautiful fantasy creatures (DRAGONS)  and a way to escape this hectic life .Movies are stories to watch  and enjoy . Books are written to leet your imagination take you away . People complain because movie are so far from the books . I say you put the money and all the work that it would take to do it exactly the same and see where you stand in the end when someone points out a detail you left out. Point is quit being so up tight enjoy it for what it is . Anescape from life for  awhile.

-reply by Author Name - e.G. John, MikeKeywords: will eragon books be movies

i havent read the complete series... but i have seen the movie :D it is really a fantastic and epic story, i really like the plot and how the story unfolds. I do own the book series though, just never got around to finishing it unfortunately. If you guys haven't seen the movie as of yet, I recommend it.