xisto Community
Tailson

Eragon Anyone else read it?

EXCELLENT BOOKS!!! They are exciting and make sense and are absolutely magnificent books. I love the books!! I read them over and over and over, every day, for at least an hour and a half. I can quote from the book, I can tell you everything about every person, place, item.... WONDERFUL BOOKS and I highly reccomend them.

The book is great, but the movie is rather disappointing. It doesn't follow the book correctly at many points and makes the events follow each other so extremly quick it looks like a rather standard action movie. I hope they do a better job in filming the next 2 books.

I agree with Empy! The book is very good, but the movie is somewhat...different. I mean, I didn't totally hate the movie, but I just didn't agree with the way the whole thing was planned out. I think they should have took out some of the nonessential parts in the plot and added the essential, if you all know what I mean. Well, I can only hope that the next movie will be somewhat better. I have a feeling that, after hearing some of the criticism going around on the web, they may try to improve the next in order to appease to the dedicated readers of the series. Speaking of, does anyone have any idea as to when the next movie is scheduled to come out, or did they not realease the date of expectancy yet? Also, what about the third book? I have been hearing so many theories about it, but none of which point to a date that it may come out? I heard that the third book is going to feature a green dragon, but this is just a theory. ;)

the book pwned! ive read eldest as well (that pwned also ;) )film sucks.....;)but yeah, even though the books totally rip off star wars and LOTR, doesnt stop them totally pwning (ill give u an explanation about star wars if u want lol, i know it sounds wierd)

Eragon is probably in my top 50 of favorite books. It was pretty good but I've read way better. And the movie sucked, I hated the movie, it was nothing like the book, they messed it all up. And the Shade looked like a shriveled up old man if you ask me. But the book was pretty good. I liked the dragons mostly, it's pretty cool how they can talk to you inside of their head. But the black one that belongs to the ruler is tight. SO is the gold one that belongs to the elf.

I love Eragon. I'm not that far into the book. I'm to the part where the egg hatches. I really want to read Eldest when I'm finished and the third one when it comes out.@demonatashadow: I agree. The book was much better than the movie. I understand that an entire book can't fit into a movie, but they should've done much more with the movie. Other book-to-movies were really good, why couldn't Eragon be?

Since I seen the movie reading it won't be so fun anymore, and the book is sooooooo long! I mean i can read lotr parts 1,2,and 3 but one book 800 pages? I don't think so. Well I've read the first 2 chapters of eldest, ain't that exciting, but could read the whole bok in 3 days.The movie was kinda like lotr except without the travelling around which takes like 1 hour

I wish the movie had more, like LOTR though. I like detail, that's just me.The book has a lot more in it than the movie, counting the important parts. The movie left out a huge chunk. But, like I said, you can't put an entire book into a movie, unless you make it three hours long. That's why I prefer to read the book. I've never heard of it until I heard about the movie.

i personally havnt read the book but ive herd from people who have and they say its great, ive seen the film which i have to say, personaly it wasnt the best film ive ever seen, it also wasnt the worst :unsure:

I haven't read it yet, but I heard it is good. I was planning to read it, but the movie kinda made me not. The movie didn't seem really cool, but I have not seen it so I have no arguement.

I read the book first so my influence about the BOOK never changed. But the movie was a piece of ****!!! I thought it was a bunch of boloney. And you know the worst part, some guy was all like wow this movie is so good, the book must really suck if this movie is so good, and I was like, you must be an idiot because the movie sucked and the book kicked the movies *bottom*. I swear some people just want to watch the movie because they are lazy and don't feel like reading the book. Well Zlash don't be discouraged by the movie, it was a bunch of boloney and I suggest that you read the book because it is really good.

Read the book, read Eldest. The writing style is a bit simple, the plot a little... obvious... in some places... but all in all it's a great series.

And it's not long. 800 pages * 3 is nothing.

On the other hand, there's the movie. I can't say how dissappointed I was at how much was left out. Fox really raped a good story there. Paolini really sold himself there... There's a forum for it here.

For those who kinda liked it, perhaps enjoyed LoTR, mebbe some other good fantasy as well, and are interesting in reading some serious fantasy, you might want to have a go at the World of Time series. I'm on the second reread... It truly is a masterpiece of the fantastical genre.

The books are each about 900-1000 pages long, and there are currently eleven of them (Robert Jordan, the author, is working on the twelth, though he is having some serious health issues) as well as a prequel. Somehow, Jordan managed to place seeds in the very first book (The Eye of the World), that are only maturing now, 17 years later. I can honestly say it's the most extraordinary work I have ever read. Tolkien made a world, Feist made two, but Jordan has a universe from which, quite frankly, you re-emerge and are startled that things in the real world don't work in the same way. It's damn amazing writing - as well as the best fantasy plot of all time, of course...

Most libraries (even here in Norway) have WoT (they actually had the whole series, both in Norwegian and English, thankfully), and if not, they can probably order it from another library. Here they sometimes buy books at request (they got New Spring, the prequel of the series, for me when I asked :unsure:)

There are several great communities for WoT, starting with dragonmount.com and tarvalon.net

The first book is quite similar to the LotR, with the classic image of innocent Rand al'Thor (Frodo) and his partners-in-crime Mat Cauthon, Perrin Aybara and Rand's girlfriend Egwene (other hobbits) snatched away in the night by the mysterious Aes Sedai (magician) Moiraine Demandred (aka Gandalf). The only person who knows about their departure is Tam al'Thor (Bilbo Baggins), assumed to be Rand's father, who gives Rand a sword (aka Sting). That's about where the direct similarity ends. Obviously, they face several things before the end of the book, most of them pretty classical, with villages and stuff. There's even a Minas Morgul (called Aridhol or Shadar Logoth), though it is not the Dark One that owes it. It comes back later - pretty much everything does. Their aim turns out to be in the Blight (Mordor), but of course that's only the beginning. It's only the first book.

In some ways, it's not the plot that matters as much as the way the story is told. Jordan says that the resemblance to LotR in the first book was deliberate, to instill in the reader as sense that they knew the story, and felt, to some degree, at home in it. But even so, it's much more than LotR, spesifically character development - and you get to know each character better than anything Tolkien ever managed. But then, perhaps that was not Tolkien's aim.

In short, it's ****ing awesome.

So... what does all this have to do with Eragon? Hmm... It's the same sort of style. I enjoyed both, and I think that most people who like that sort of thing, as well as being willing to give up quite a few weeks of their time to reading these monsters, will enjoy it.

I really must make a reading recommendation list someday...

I really liked the book Eldest. The sequal to Eragon was probably (in my own opinion) better than the first one and is probably in my top 40's. I really liked how he got the power of an Elf and whiped that guys "bottom" in a dual, it was really cool. I also liked the new trick that he got, the one where he can drain from the things around him and use it as magic so it won't really weaken him. I was really shocked when I read that Murtough was the one who hatched the second dragon, then I was even more surprised to find out he was working with-whats his name?? Oh yeah!-Galbatorix, then when I heard that he was Eragons brother, I almost fell out of my chair (while reading the book). I saw, in the back of the new version of Eldest, that in the third book the dragon will be gold!!! It even gave a preview of the beginning of the third book. I can't wait for it to come out so I can devour it's content in a matter of hours, muahaha.

omg i loved it...... we were required to read it in class and at first i was dreading it.... but i got into it and it was really good .... now me and my friend are reading eldest..... The movie come out is the U.S on December 15 i cant wait... to go see it.... me and a couple of my friends are going to practically campout to see it.... definatly cant wait....