xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Florisjuh

Google, Real And Mozilla To Release Software In A Bundle

Today I read an article telling Google had signed a pact with Real (Creaters of the RealPlayer and other things like Real Arcade) and Mozilla (Creaters of the well known mozilla firefox internetbrowser and the Thunderbird email client) to destribute some of their software (Google Toolbar, Mozilla Firefox and RealPlayer) bundled together.

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Google Inc. has extended a multi-year deal with RealNetworks Inc. to promote Google software across Real's entertainment and multimedia products, the companies said on Wednesday.
RealNetworks and Google, together with Web browser maker Mozilla Corp., said they had agreed to distribute the Mozilla Firefox browser together with the Google Toolbar along with Real's RealPlayer audio and video playback software.

No financial terms were disclosed.

Google Toolbar is a software program users install inside a browser, allowing them to more quickly search the Web than by having to visit Google.com each time they wish to do a search.

The deal, which builds on an existing two-year distribution pact between Google and RealNetworks, is the latest pact Google has signed with major computer hardware and software companies to distribute its software.

In recent months, Google has set deals with PC maker Dell Inc. and software maker Adobe Systems Inc.

By ensuring wide availability of its Web search software, Google is racing to head off competition from Microsoft Corp. as it moves later this year or early next year to release Vista, a new version of its Windows operating software with more built-in search features.

All three companies compete in their respective markets with Microsoft. Mozilla is the maker of the most popular Web browser alternative to Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser.

The companies said that the Google Toolbar and Mozilla Firefox browser will soon be made available as options for customers of RealPlayer, RealNetwork's Rhapsody music subscription service and RealArcade games.

Source

well looking interesting but i dont think that it will make any effect,all software or programs are famous already they dont need to be sold together as everyone can get them easily,looks strange :s ,anyways thanks for sharing.

I really don't see a need for this either. People will probably just want one or the other and they can just go download from the separate sites. It will save download time and web space because they will sneak in a few other things I'm sure to be installed that you don't need.

I dont know how this is going to work out. I dont really like real player, but knowing that google and firefox make good things, I think that something really good is going to come out of this, or either something awful will come out.

For searching, I prefer Google and Yahoo!For web browsing, I prefer Mozilla Firefox, Opera and Avant BrowserFor music, I prefer iTunes and Windows Media Player.There is no need to combine these three software, after all, they are in hte Google Pack.

i actualy hate google toolbar and desktop... complete waste of my time...firefox has the nifty search bar in the upper right corner... so why in the name of whoever would i want a google search bar under that...

i was also thinking like u but google toolbar has much features,like some sites have no Subscribe button on their right side top,google toolbar has it,google toolbar shows the page rank of site ur browsing,i like page rank the most thats why i installed google toolbar for my firefox. also we can quickly search anything easily,we can login to our gmail without typing gmail.com ,also autolink ,auto form filler ,google toolbar has much good options. thats why!!i think real player must be releasing some new and cool version,i like the most about real player is that it loads very quick.it dont take time like other players.

Theres a hugh flaw in this plan though, no one actually likes Real Player. Google and Mozilla gain nothing from this, as if poeple see that they will be bundeled with Real Player I can see a lot of people downloading a standalone version or an entirly different application, just to avoid having to download Real Player. Lets face it after it was selected as the 2nd Worst Tech Product Ever by PC World (to be honest it'd have to go some to beat AOL), why would any one want to: a) use the program or :) have any sort of association with the program. It surprises me that Real still try and sell it when there are a multitude of better media player out there. That and i don't see the need for software bundles anyway, if people want an application they just want that if they wanted the other ones too, they'd go and get them seperatly it's that simple.

Hm...I use Gmail, Opera, and random video players (not RealPlayer). Like most people who replied, I have to agree that there's no need to put them all in a bundle. After all, they're only small programs that can easily be downloaded in the net. I used to use Firefox, but I found that Opera suited me better. I'm still wondering why Google and Mozilla teamed up with Real, though... I hated RealPlayer since I was a kid. It was full of crappy ads that made me flinch... Oh well... they must have their reasons.

Edited by icemarle (see edit history)

I like both real and google, firefox too but, it is not my default browser, my browser is Maxthon, for many reasons that firefox will never "know"!Anyway, i find this a good idea, it is always good to find good/strong/competitive partners in the internet, it is exactly as in the real life, and in this case, both 3 companies are very competitive in their areas/markets.I love google for all their free and not free services, most of the free services, i hate to pay for something that i know i can get for free!I love real because their rmvb format and codecs are the best on the internet, especially for movies compression, it can compress dvd to a high quality movie with 300 to 500 MB.I also use the real player from Real, it is needed to see the *.rmvb format, plus you can see many other formats both for audio and video formats, but usually i only use real player to see *.rmvb files, i prefer Video Lan as my default audio/video player, it's free and it's the best.Firefox is also a good browser, i use it for some things, i must if i want to test my websites before i upload them, all webdesigners must test their personal/clients websites with the Opera, Firefox/Internet explorer/Maxthon browsers before uploading.

Theres a hugh flaw in this plan though, no one actually likes Real Player.

Haha.. exactly XDGoogle already offers a GooglePack where you can download various things like that together.. I used it to quickly get back a handful of programs I use when I reformated my PC. Although I don't use even half the things on the list, you can select what to download, so it didn't hurt me. Also, it automaticly downloads updates for all the programs for you, when they become avaliable, if you let it (which might be helpful for people who dont want the hassle of it, although personally I'd rather update them myself, because some programs I'd rather keep in their lovely older versions XD)

Real Player is not gd at all...I prefer Windows Media Player,its simple and easier to use. And I like to use Google Toolbar a lot too, but I dun think anyone will be interested in Real Player that much.

I don't really like RealPlayer, I use WinAMP for my MP3s and OGGs but as soon as I will buy my iPOD I will use iTunes extensively, Google and Mozilla okay it is like adding "chutney" over a pizza where ketchup and cheese are already present.

I quote:

I like both real and google, firefox too but, it is not my default browser, my browser is Maxthon, for many reasons that firefox will never "know"!
Anyway, i find this a good idea, it is always good to find good/strong/competitive partners in the internet, it is exactly as in the real life, and in this case, both 3 companies are very competitive in their areas/markets.

I love google for all their free and not free services, most of the free services, i hate to pay for something that i know i can get for free!

I love real because their rmvb format and codecs are the best on the internet, especially for movies compression, it can compress dvd to a high quality movie with 300 to 500 MB.

I also use the real player from Real, it is needed to see the *.rmvb format, plus you can see many other formats both for audio and video formats, but usually i only use real player to see *.rmvb files, i prefer Video Lan as my default audio/video player, it's free and it's the best.

Firefox is also a good browser, i use it for some things, i must if i want to test my websites before i upload them, all webdesigners must test their personal/clients websites with the Opera, Firefox/Internet explorer/Maxthon browsers before uploading.
Today I read an article telling Google had signed a pact with Real (Creaters of the RealPlayer and other things like Real Arcade) and Mozilla (Creaters of the well known mozilla firefox internetbrowser and the Thunderbird email client) to destribute some of their software (Google Toolbar, Mozilla Firefox and RealPlayer) bundled together."

I quote:"

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Google Inc. has extended a multi-year deal with RealNetworks Inc. to promote Google software across Real's entertainment and multimedia products, the companies said on Wednesday.
RealNetworks and Google, together with Web browser maker Mozilla Corp., said they had agreed to distribute the Mozilla Firefox browser together with the Google Toolbar along with Real's RealPlayer audio and video playback software.

No financial terms were disclosed.

Google Toolbar is a software program users install inside a browser, allowing them to more quickly search the Web than by having to visit Google.com each time they wish to do a search.

The deal, which builds on an existing two-year distribution pact between Google and RealNetworks, is the latest pact Google has signed with major computer hardware and software companies to distribute its software.

In recent months, Google has set deals with PC maker Dell Inc. and software maker Adobe Systems Inc.

By ensuring wide availability of its Web search software, Google is racing to head off competition from Microsoft Corp. as it moves later this year or early next year to release Vista, a new version of its Windows operating software with more built-in search features.

All three companies compete in their respective markets with Microsoft. Mozilla is the maker of the most popular Web browser alternative to Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser.

The companies said that the Google Toolbar and Mozilla Firefox browser will soon be made available as options for customers of RealPlayer, RealNetwork's Rhapsody music subscription service and RealArcade games."

Im glad they have brought out a pack except norton is rubbish.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Use proper QUOTE tags next time. Contribute with your own words instead of quoting.