xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mjay06

Rubbish Song Lyrics

While sat here aimlessly browsing the net, i've had my itunes playing away in the background.

It occured to me that a lot of artists arnt really putting much effort into the lyrics they write.

Example 1: "My hump, my hump, my hump, my hump, my hump,

My hump, my hump, my hump, my lovely lady lumps." - The Black Eyed Peas

Now you dont have to be a professional lyricist to beat that.

Another example: "This s**t is bananas / B-A-N-A-N-A-S" - Gwen Steffani

Now thats just bizarre :)

Yet another: "If precipitation is drowning all your plans/just call information up, ask for the weatherman" - Delbert McClinton - weatherman

How many artists have managed to use 'precipitation in a song...

Finally, a classic from Shakira: "Lucky that my breasts are small and humble So you don't confuse them with mountains" - What was she thinking? :P

Can anyone beat these lyrical masterpieces?

Edited by Mjay06 (see edit history)

how about "peaches" by the american presidents. Its from the 90s and sounds very much like nirvana / punk rock. very good tune tot he song but all it is about is "moving to the country, gonna eat alot of peaches". "Peaches come from a can, they were put there by a man in a factory down town"... :)great tune, bad lyrics.

i must agree with you on that so many artist must think of these lines while they are having lunch or something and then after lunch they go and record the song. It one thing having lyrics that just repeat the same thing over and over but atleast with a song like my humps atleast it has a good tune behind it, which is more than i can say for gwen stefani's song i think she needs to get a time out for that song. I enjoy most of her songs but that one was just *BLEEP* there is no other way to describe it. I don't like r & b one bit but listening to that music one thing i can say is that their lyrics are usally quite deep and does not consist of 5 words repeated and few hundred times. Although i recon all artists do it at some stage of their carreer if it is just because they are bored with what they are doing or they are just to lazy and they need a few more songs before they can release they cd's ? But i think there is one genre of artists that take the cake when it comes to the dumbest , lamest, and generally pointless lyrics ........................................... that would have to be the rap artists i don't why they think that they can get away with these completly retarded lyrics because they sing it fast or it rhymes. look at 50 cent he must just think a few words that make absolutely no sense and then make a "song" with them. I use the word song loosely with him. Anyone could do that but most people would be to embaressed to make such a **bottom** of themselves!!

A lot of people run down bands like Coldplay, but at least they do tend to put some effort into their songs.Peter Gabriel's 'we didnt start the fire' is a brilliant display of lyric writing - the entire history of the 20th century condensed into a 4 minute song.

That's what drives me crazy about bands today. It's like they are trying to be rappers and make stupid lyrics. I agree with Mjay06, We Didn't Start The Fire actually has a point to it and means something. If they could only make lyrics make sense.

Yeah i agree, alot of lyrics today are crazy, stupid or just don't make sence, one song that comes to mind is clint eastwood by gorrilaz,"I ain't happy, I'm feeling glad, I got sunshine in a bag, I'm useless but not for long, The future is coming on"I searched on google and apparently hes not happy because he is on drugs but he caught sunshine which is a drug so he is glad but he is sad??So i think artists are making these stupid lyrics and then making up this deep meaning in them, it is like some current art which really has no artistic value but people are too embarassed to just say wtf this aint art.Some others i thought of are:But nothing compares to these blue and yellow purple hills, Ok are they blue, yellow or purple oh and by the way blue+yellow doesnt equel purpleRed hot chilli peppersIt's understood that Hollywood sells Californication Wait what do they sell??? And it aint understod by me.And my final set of lyrics are from sum 41Then if the egg don't stainyou'll be ringing off the hook, you're on the hit listwanted in the telephone book.No comment, it is easy to see the utter stupidity of these lyrics,

Replying to Mjay06Just had to point out that if you google We Didn't Start the Fire you'll find it's a song by Billy Joel that references a catalogue of headline events during his lifetime, from March 1949 to 1989. -reply by Isaac

Maybe some of those "rubbish song lyrics" are written because the singers/songwriters do not know what else to write. :P ...or because of the fact that they are not very good in English. I have got an example for you.The Norwegian band a-ha wrote a song in 1985 they named "Take On Me". Later they told there fans that "the song sometimes got misunderstood." They later wrote a song named "Touch Me", which was the meaning of "Take On Me." So they tried to fix the whole thing. Later some other dudes named A1 use the "Take On Me" song, maybe, just maybe some of you know it from there... but it is a long time ago, so I do not know. ^^"Take on me, take me onI'll be goneIn a day or two"It is not really "rubbish lyrics", but it shows that sometimes people do not thing about what the meaning of the song actually is. ^^

Daft Punk - Around the World. Its just a mixture of techno music, with some guy saying "around the world around the world" x30 times or so. If you ever seen the video clip for this, its even more repetitive, it just shows a bunch of guys walking around in a circle.. then walks around in a circle.. if you get the drift. The song maybe popular in the techno clubs, but it had a lot of critics.

What you need is a good dose of Black Sabbath. The lyrics in their songs are very deliberate, and with a purpose. In fact, they've written some songs that attack lazy lyricists. For a combination of good writing and good music, give them a listen. I think you'd like the song "N.I.B."

I seriously fail to see how you can even call Gwen Steffani, etc. artists... honestly, the only talent they have (often a small amount) is the ability to sing, rap, etc. There is really something wrong when we call these people artists...

I dont mind rappers in general, but I have to say is talking really fast a form of singing at all. I dont have the time right now to even bother typing an essay and/or debate on this. But talking really fast in a song (eg not singing), for example "yowassupsnoopdoginthehouseandgonnagetonwiththechicks" seems more of a how fast they can get their point across in 3 to 4 minutes.

Finally, a classic from Shakira: "Lucky that my breasts are small and humble So you don't confuse them with mountains" - What was she thinking? :D

What's so wrong about that? She has some great lyrics that powerful and moving, some of which even address political issues throughout the world. I suggest you try looking at the lyrics from some of her other songs (not Hips Don't Lie) to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Here goes another rubish song by Cat Power:

Oh how times flies

With crystal clear eyes

And cold as coal

when we're mending with diamond eyes

Oh come child

in crossbones style

oh come child

come and rescue me

cause you have seen some unbelievable things

The melody is ok, but the lyrics does not make any sense to me!

I hate songs that repeat the same thing over and over again.

Here is a example-- Akon-Right Now:

I wanna make up right na na na

wish we never broke up right na na na

we need to link up right na na na

wish we never broke up right na na na

we need to link up right na na na

I like the beat and everything but it repeats the same thing over and over so it gets old real fast.