xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
raiderzx24

Laptop Keyboard Problem Dell Inspiron 6000

First post on here and here it goes....I got a laptop the "A" button now doesn't work. I pryed off the black top to check if any dirt or liquid is under there and cleaned it put it back on and it still doesn't work. I ordered a keyboard for my laptop off ebay. Now how exactly do i take off the old one and put a new one in? Thanks

First of all welcome to the forums. Unfortunately there doesnt seem to be many people here that has experience with laptops and Im sorry I cant be of much help either, especially because I dont own a dell. Replacing some parts in laptops can be a difficult task, but I would suggest you check out the following forums and post that there:
http://www.notebookreview.com/
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Just
go to the dell section of the forums and post your problem and you will get support with your problem a whole lot quicker than Dell or any other place would answer you. There is are lot of people there who are actually more prepared to help than most companys customer service.Good Luck. Have fun here in Xisto!!

Usually your manual will contain information about how to remove and replace the keyboard. If it isn't in the manual, or you don't have it, then contact the manufacturer and ask how to remove it. Alternatively you can try one of these two methods: Check the bottom of the laptop and see if there is a switch or slider to release the keyboard, just like the ones to remove the battery, CD drive etc. Some laptops just have simple clips next to the keyboard (usually between the F-Keys and the screen) which you just push to take the keyboard out. That's usually on older laptops though.

I have removed and replaced a dell keyboard, all i had to do was un-do the seven screws marked with a "K" the keyboard was then loose, then pull up and back on the ribbon connecting the keyboard, and voala the keyboard is off, to put a new one in just do the steps in reverse.But i would reccomend talking to the manufatorer, i got a new one for free because it was under warrenty.

Wireless switch

Laptop Keyboard Problem

I'm tring to get my Dell Inspiron 6000 to go wireless but are unable to find a "switch" to enable it??

Can you help?? Thanks

-reply by glenn

Wireless switchLaptop Keyboard ProblemI'm tring to get my Dell Inspiron 6000 to go wireless but are unable to find a "switch" to enable it??Can you help?? Thanks-reply by glenn ------------------------------------------------------------------------Go to this site by dell. It's a driver that might be able to solve your problem.http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Products/?app=drivers

Missing "Ctrl" key on my Dell 6000 Inspiron laptop

Laptop Keyboard Problem

I accidently popped off the right "ctrl" key on my Dell 6000 Inspiron laptop and lost it! Is there a way to buy just the "ctrl" key and pop it back on myself or do I have to send my computer in and replace the entire keyboard? I have tried calling dell but am having trouble getting through and getting a direct answer. Please help, I'm desperate to fix it!!

Thanks,

Lo

-question by Lauren Strom

My keyboard on my dell is screwy.

Laptop Keyboard Problem

When I press five or six on the computer the number six comes up along with the equal sign and a minus sign. I don't know if it's a virus or not but I can't use five or six. 12347890 are fine.. But the other two digits are messed up. Also an internet explorer window comes up and the cursor is non-responsive. I usually press *Fn* F8 to restore it but it still acts up like that. Only wth five and six it does it. Can you help?? thnx..

-question by Kent

Asus brand of computer is not effective because I had bough it,after  how many month it was not functioning well. When I bring it to the service center  they  long  time they fix the computer. Now  my Asus brand of laptop is damaged again. The keyboard is functioning! So, DON'T BUY ASUS BRAND OF COMPUTER!

-reply by Louie Serrano

issue with function key Laptop Keyboard Problem

my letters that have function keys will not type the letters unless the function key is pressed how do I fix that?

-question by marie holland

laptop function key not working!Laptop Keyboard Problem

The [Fn] key on my inspiron 6000 laptop  has stopped working I rarely use it but it is handy for quick access to certain functions   the combinations are working OK so maybe I have locked this or something anybody able to help me   Thank You Mary

-question by Mary Butler

function [Fn] key problemLaptop Keyboard Problem

Hi! All

every time I have to use any function key, I have to simultaneously press Fn key and desired function key..

for example:

for refreshing a page I have to press "Fn+F5"

which becomes way too annoying while playing some games...

so is there any way I can use the desired function key without pressing the Fn key

Thakns

Narak Putra

Hi,On switching my laptop, my kyboard is not responding...i am unable to put password, even a usb keyboard does not work...any solution to this problem??

Hi!I had an old Compaq Presario 2132EA laptop with keys that went dead and no amount of cleaning, prodding, or shaking would get the 'B' key working again. Eventually, the problem extended to the spacebar too. The laptop was about 6 years old so it did live its lifetime. I would have got an external USB keyboard, but I thought it wasn't worth it - I used it as a terminal server and would connect to it from a newer laptop to run some stuff on it. Eventually, the power connector on the motherboard went loose so it would occasionally turn itself off. It would also, at times, overheat and the fail-safe would kick in and shut it off. The laptop has since been retired, but it may rise again if it sees any practical use in an electronics project somewhere.I have another laptop, the IBM Thinkpad T60 that had rice fall into it and, as you know, rice has a tendency to become as solid as a rock when it dries up. When you drop cookie crumbles into a computer, the crumbles do eventually break up, but the rice stays as-is. I haven't been able to shake it out, but whenever I do pack up my laptop and carry it around, the rice does move around so the 'dead keys' tend to shift too. When the problem first started off, the 'E' key wouldn't work. Then, it shifted to under the '9' key. I managed to get out the larger pieces that prevent keys from working entirely, but I think there are still tiny bits that sometimes make keys harder to push or require more than one keystroke to press although it is quite rare now... either the rice managed to get lodged in some corner where it won't mess with the normal operation of the keyboard or there's bacteria in there that disintegrated it. In either case, I'm glad it's working well again. Those folks at IBM sure did design some solid stuff while they owned the Thinkpad line and Lenovo continues to do so in the T-series of Thinkpads.I did come across some strange keyboard problems in Dell laptops that were under 2 years old. Perhaps Dell computers had quality issues around 2000-2001 because it would be odd if five different computers used by five different people would have keyboard problems within two years of purchase. The problems always seemed to be around the Delete key, and back them Windows 2000 made it necessary to press Control, Alt, and DELETE to log into Windows. The problem was solved by 'borrowing' (read: stealing!) an external USB keyboard that belonged to one of the desktops whenever the computers had to be booted up. As soon as Windows would log them in, the keyboard would go around till all of the Dell laptops had been started up, and then the keyboard would be returned to its rightful owner, a Dell Slimline desktop PC (ironic, isn't it! Apparently, the owners of the Dell laptops failed to see the irony in the situation).For most keyboard problems, laptops just have one pricey solution - go back to the service center and get your keyboard replaced. Since the keyboards are proprietary, they are sold at a premium and the service center insists on charging a heavy fee as the service charge too. Shuttle PC, apparently, wants to change that by coming up with a line of laptops that are built from standardized parts so they would use the exact same or interchangeable components between laptop models. How do they hope to accomplish that? Go figure! With desktop keyboards, you might as well just toss away they keyboard away and get a new one. There are so many economically priced desktop computer keyboards from China that you can afford to get a new keyboard every few months and can open up your closet to find half a dozen keyboards at the end of the year. Man, those manufacturing companies in China seem to have got a magical thing going on there!