xisto Community
nitesh

Blu Ray Discs About Blu Ray Disks

would blu-ray reall affect you if you didnt have a tv with hdtv? which is about 3000 dollars plus the monthly payment for the high-definition. it would only be worth it if you sat at home all day not doing anything but watching tv.....even then its a little over the edge.

Like all new technology, it is expensive, I guess we will just have to wait and see who wins the next generation optical storage battle. From what I have read, the hd-dvd will probably win the battle because of sony's past experiences, and the cost efectiveness of the hd dvd. Not everyone will have the money to upgrade to blueray, or even buy the playstation 3. We will just have to wait and see, but most people are going to end up upgrading to one of these in the end. And a couple of years later you can expect another thing like this to happen again, and again.

Blue ray will either suceed or fail... and sony will determine this with the ps3... having 50 gbs on one disc could unlock alot of things in the games comming out especialy with the new rendering products in the ps3.Did you know there are a equivilant of 4 graphics processors in the ps3? it is atm the most powerfull graphics card on the market... (only compatible with ps3 tho) anyways...

TDK has also announced the release of a four layered disk, which means 100gb of capacity. i never knew that so many companies were invloved, i knew about dell, sony (cuz the playstation 3 uses them) and tdk. but i mean there are over 20 big companies (would be nice to know all of them not just the ones listed there) it'll be exciting to see them come to the market (maybe then dual layered normal dvds will become cheaper :))just saw the thing on 8 layers, thats intense. that would certainly be awesome. but do we really need so much info on a disk, i mean we don't have enough on our hdd to put on a blue ray (8 layered) it would be nice to back up the WHOLE disk but dam that would take a while. but i guess it woulld be more for gaming, the ones for private use would be the single or dual layered ones (i would imaging). i just thought of somehting :) you would be able to fit all the starwars in hi-def onto one disk!

Edited by randomdood (see edit history)

Long term, I don't think it's going to matter because things are going to a digital download format anyway. People like Apple and iTunes are going to make optical disks go the way of the VHS tape. There is a rumored set top box called iTv in development and the newer Mac Mini's with the front row remote seem to be about one step away from the final product. And with Jobs now on the board of directors for Disney, one of if not the largest producer of direct to video content that a lot parents already buy, it seems that download on demand is going to be how things are transferred in the future. I work in video production and I've asked for years about HD content. Yes we have HD camera, yes we have FCP HD editing, but we have no way of getting that content to a screen other than broadcast or via a computer with an HDMI out connector. And I think this is going to happen real quick as cable and sat. companies have been quick to adopt DVR technology, I think that downloading videos is going to soon follow. As I said, Apple is already doing it with TV shows and some movies.

I hope the prices of the blu ray discs go down following the same pattern as the DVDS. I remember paying a fortune to buy DVDS a few years back and now they are dirt cheap. Moreover the quality should also be improved so as to tackle the issue of them geting scratched and becoming almost unusable for most purposes.

I disagree with some of the earlier posters, I think it stands a fairly good chance of catching on with some more time. But that's given that nothing better comes out first... Which can easily happen to anything I guess...I just think it stands a chance :) but maybe I'm rooting for the 8-track :)

Sorry for asking such a damn lazy common question... But what is Blu-ray exactly? I has something to do with PS3 and technology haha... No but seriously, what is it??

well maybe if you read the first post you would have an idea. it's basically a dvd but it uses blue lasers to read/write the disks and through this you can store a lot more information, 1 layer=25gb and it can go up to 8 layers. Answer your question?

Blu ray discs mean better capacity, wich means more games in better quality!! Or.... you could fit a whole TV series on one discs, maybe even a few series!! :)

And has anyone noticed that the title says DISCS, but the description says DISKS. Is this a case of American-English?:) God I hate that stuff.

I am really excited about the technology... I am waiting for it come to the market ... But i guess the cost involved with these discs will also be quite large.. atleast initially... But the very thought of the volumes it can store, who cares about the cost ?? Really happy that such technology has come out , and waiting to make good use of it..