xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Gyad

Noob Talk

I remember when I typed like that but I got over it in like two days of typing. People should improve.And I don't even do typos loll(Get it loll :) )

I am in this RPG at another message board, and the rules state you have to type up to [of course more is WANTED] four lines if text, before hitting submit, and you have to use proper spelling and grammar. Well, one person seems to think he doesn't have to go by the rules. He changes everything from "know" into "no", "says" into "sais", "boy" into "boi" and so on, and then continues to type one line of text. I have brought this up to him in IM before, and as a result he called me a control freak, and a punk **bottom**.[not directly to me in IM, he called me this in someone elses IM box] True that that particular typing bothers me a GREAT deal, I mostly correct him, so he will learn how to type better, especially when in the rules it states you have to type a certain way. I don't understand why people think it is okay to type like this, Would they type/spell/write like that on an essay? If they do, I pity them and their grade.

When I was new one of my priorities was spelling. If nobody could understand me what's the point of posting? I can understand mistakes and shorthand on chatrooms and games but I can't understand why anyone would post so badly on a forum where you can take your time to comment on posts, even with dyslexia you can use spell checkers.
From now on I'm going to ask those who use newbie talk to speak in plain english before giving an answer.

'Noob' is an offensive term rarely applied to people that are actually new to a particular online game or community. Different online social groups consider different types of people to fall under the category of being a 'noob'. For instance, people who type with correct syntax will often label people who substitute words such as 'you' and 'are' with 'u' and 'r' as being quite 'noobish'. Immature players in video games will often label their opponents as "noobs", regardless of whether they have lost or won.
Generally, however, people use 'noob' as an applicable insult for anyone who happens to piss them off. A person will also often use this term to describe people that they feel are beneath them. Many times, during online arguments, players will pull this term out of their asses as an insult when their own 'wit' is running dry.

A newb is quite different from a n00b, being that a newb IS a new player. Not only are they new, but they ask politely for things, are respectful, and are pleasant people. With this said i completely disagree with the others comments.

-----Overswarm

Notice from serverph:
COPIED CONTENT from http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Noob
quotes added. member suspended for 3 days. please take time to REVIEW Xisto forum rules & TOS.

I tend to find that the level of experience (ie noob or not) has very little emphasis on the way people type, sure there are a lot of people who do type like this that are new to the whole internet thing, or they found they could do it on some rubish fake MMORPG (read: Runescape) and get away with it. then they decide to branch out and try something else, they visit a forum and try it and thats when it happens instant flamings. These people tend to grow out of it pretty quickly, I find. Then there are the people who continually do it just to annoy everyone else, they tend to see a quick ban related disappearence. But the reasoning behind it isn't the annoying factor that makes people start posts like this, that is the fact that certain people feel the need to do this, and the more people getinto the habit of doing this, the harder it is to combat and the larger a battering the English language takes, Seriously people how much harder is it to type 2 extra letters, try it one day, you never know you might find people respect you a bit more and you last longer than a day on a forum. I know theres not really a name for it but I tend to find your labeling of Noob talk to be slightly off, I would prefer te naming of Text Speak (due to it's large use in Text Messaging), as this tends to be less offensive to the large numbers of new people who are indeed normal. Don't get me wrong I won't pull anyone up on a few spelling mistakes (you've probably noticed the ones that litter this very post), hell the occasionaly shortening of words is fine too, I use cause (insted of because) myself, but when you start going the route of cuz, plz, tnx all those then you really have to ask yourself one question (and no it's not do you feel lucky) do you want to look like a 5 year old, well do ya, Punk (sorry about that, it's late and I'm tired and I don't get out much)

Edited by dontmaimyourself (see edit history)

I've been on the net since I was 6... and even then, I didn't type "n00b talk"... I dunno, I guess it's how my attitude is again, I expect everyone to conform to their level of intelligence. If they are old enough to type well and know how to spell correctly, I also expect them to do so, no matter how formal or informal the environment is. Look, the web is a place where you don't often see the person you're talking to. Thus, the only way they get an impression of you is the way you type. They don't care if you didn't wash your face or if you dress badly. They don't always see you... so it's natural that some people get picky about the way other people type over the net.

Edited by icemarle (see edit history)

Everyone makes spelling mistakes,It's normal.And people like me are some times to lazy to go back and correct them hahaha. I still got to work on that. :)

Yes, everyone does make spelling mistakes, but changing the way something is spelled completley is childish and annoying. If it is a simple typo, i would expect someone to one hardly notice it because it is probably common [like Razer/Razor] or two actually TAKE THE EFFORT and edit it, and fix it. But people are lazy, and Its okay to make one or two typos in your post, but if the whole thing is full of typos, shouldn't you go back and edit it, so you don't look like an idiot? Though, i personally think i rather see "I typ like this, becaus I'm New and cant type well" then "I tipe lyke dis cuz im nu n cnt tipe well" that to me just says you are trying to hard, to reach some goal that i don't even understand. I don't even get how it would be easier to type like the second example.

Although, in my opinion it was probably older 'internet people' who taught newbies to type like this. So who is really to blame? Besides, i honestly see more regulars type like this, i see newbies have bad spelling [errors, not out of the way different spellings] then regulars, which is understandable...but as for boi, gurl, nu, lyke etc....its normally regulars.

Doesn't matter where I'm typing, I always use correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation. I lose all respect for someone if they use noob languages. I'm lazy, but I can at least take the time to hit two more keys in order to make myself sound less stupid. As for 1337, it's dead. Anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong. 1337 is now used by script-kiddies and "hardcore" gamers, the exact opposite of what it was originally intended for. It's a shame really...

I usually only shorten words when I'm talking on AIM, but that's only because its easier and I usually talk to a lot of people at once. On messageboards, forums, and e-mails I try to talk as proper as I can. I think that the way you spell and puncuate (sp?) can show a lot about a person's intelligence.

1337 talk is really annoying. Only people who think they're cool use it. And usually, if someone thinks they're cool, well, they're not. I get really annoyed when people start using chat speak on their websites. It really is bad for readability. I can understand if people use it for AIM, but it's a lot easier when people use correct spelling and grammar.

A problem i haven't brought up, but yeah...i will now. When i see a word, such as "know" spelled as "no" it really confuses me because i dont go by the sound of the word when i am reading, i go by how its spelled, so when someone spells it wrong [same with their, there, they're, and two, to, too] i get really confused.

English isn't the primary language of most people and I'm one of those. But I still think that it's best to write as best as you can when posting in forums. It's a way to show respect to other posters. I agree with Tetraca. It's acceptable to write shortcust/abbreviations on chatrooms and gamerooms as it's real-time. Community forums, on the other hand is different. Each of us are given enough time to write clear and concise replies/posts. (You can even write a single post whole day!)As I mentioned, it's a matter of showing respect.

to jasperikNoob Talk

dude. What you are talking about isnt 1337 at all. Its just n00b talk.Real 1337 looks like this.  1[-]|$ 1$ /-(1//-| |331 translation: this is actual leet.