xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Gyad

Noob Talk

Okay, seriously, this has been bothering me for a while now. Before I say anything, I just want to say that I didn't speak like I do now when I first started going on the internet. My typing wasn't perfect then (and it still isn't) but it certainly isn't to the level of noobs.

When I say noobs, I actually mean people who type like this.

hi my name is bobi relly need free hosting for my site
can i get free hosting plz
i dont have money and im poor and my parents wont let me use a credit card
tnx

Something like that (I can't think of a better example than those that request free hosting on Xisto without looking at the readmes and stuff.

I really hate them, they're annoying. They don't even try to put any effort into their typing.

Another thing about noobs, sometimes their typing is so illegible and horrible, I can't even make an example. It's like reading a whole paragraph (that's if they even write that much in the first place) and looking at all sorts of spelling errors, grammar errors, missing punctuations, and shortcut words, which I like to call AIM talk. (These include words like: u, y, plz, tnx, w/e, cuz, lol)

Another thing that semi-bothers me is 1337 (leet) talk. It's often used by "cool" or "respected" people that like to pretend to be noobs to make fun of them. They type absolute nonsense just to piss whoever that doesn't know they're actuallying making a joke off. I don't like them at all. For one thing, they're still talking in noob language and it makes me lose respect for them.

I understand it if people talk that way in games, or things like that. (chatrooms are okay sometimes) But talking like that when they're on forums or anything related to that is just annoying. Even instant messenger gets annoying sometimes, but I can deal with them because 75% of people that use instant messengers talk like that. It's like an unofficial rule or something.

In IM, i will normally spell you "u", and i will shorten somethings, but for the most part i don't shorten words. But on a message board, i hardly every shorten a word, and when i do its on accident. I ABSOLUTLEY hate L33t, Kewl talk, and overly shortening words. I seriously will chew out anyone who talks like that in my IM. It doesn't make you look cool, it makes you look stupid. Ets Lyke Y du u kneed 2 tipe lyke dis? Et Makes u luk stup1d. And especially on a message board, even a simple non professional one, its better to type educated answers with correctly typing.

I try to be nice, but sometimes it get annoying as hell. When i was a noob here no one even noticed i was even new. I don't know why they can't talk like i am now. I mean i'm not going "Ya man plz hlp me i n33d hostin" I put effort and read the rules and wrote things like a normal person. You don't even need to read the rules if you just look up the things your going to ask in the search.

I get really annoyed when people abbreviate words and you don't have the foggiest idea as to what on Earth they were trying to say. I can understand in an online game where time is of the essence, not spending ages typing your messages in full grammatical correctness, but in an instant message program you are not really under that pressure and there is no reason to type in leet or whatever else people come up with.On most bulletin boards and forums, not just here, the rules state that you can't abbreviate things or use leet etc. People blatantly ignore these rules and they lose people's respect by typing ridiculously and being ignorant to the rules.

Normally when I talk with my friends and what not on any instant messenger I will still shorten some words like Be Right Back, and I don't use the correct capitilization or puntuation marks because I sort of felt no need to and I still don't. Unless I am talking to them on a higher level or to someone of a higher level I won't use correct sentence structure. Of course when I started using forums two years ago I did type like I would on IM and it was also a Free Web Host site, I quickly learned to start typing normally on Forums and have gotten used to it although I in the shoutbox I don't. It really sort of seems to me like the situation I'm in. I know when it is ok to shorten sentences and when not to because I too think it's annoying to read run on sentences in a forum when someone is typing with no structure.

I'd have to agree with most of what's been said. IM'ing, usually I do shorten words, namely because to have a conversation without some shorthand, would be finger typing suicide in many situations. On forums though, typing properly really does help make everything more readable. Even then, I guess shorthand is acceptable, but when it also results in the loss of grammar and punctuation, then it really is irritating.l33t speak is another matter, but to be honest I haven't seen much of it on any forum. Rather it's more of an ingame occurance if at all, and it can be quite novel to decipher. Anyway, as there is no body language and appearance over the internet, the way you communicate tends to be how people get their first impression of you - typing properly results in a more sophisticated, mature image, which is probably a good thing :)

I get really annoyed when people abbreviate words and you don't have the foggiest idea as to what on Earth they were trying to say. I can understand in an online game where time is of the essence, not spending ages typing your messages in full grammatical correctness, but in an instant message program you are not really under that pressure and there is no reason to type in leet or whatever else people come up with.

On most bulletin boards and forums, not just here, the rules state that you can't abbreviate things or use leet etc. People blatantly ignore these rules and they lose people's respect by typing ridiculously and being ignorant to the rules.

Can you, or someone else please explain how the hell leet is easier then regular normal typing? If anything, i think it wastes more time, so i don't see how it would be easier or less time wasteful. I don't know, i dont use the number keys very often, because i normally spell out the whole number, so to use it, i am somewhat slow with it, and I hardly use % or $ or # or & i just type out percent, dollars, number, and and.

Everyone's been new to the internet at one point of their life. If you take that much time to point out that somebody is "new" to it and exploit it in every way possible without helping them, you spend entirely too much time online in my opinion at least.

When I was new one of my priorities was spelling. If nobody could understand me what's the point of posting? I can understand mistakes and shorthand on chatrooms and games but I can't understand why anyone would post so badly on a forum where you can take your time to comment on posts, even with dyslexia you can use spell checkers.From now on I'm going to ask those who use newbie talk to speak in plain english before giving an answer.

While im not new to the vast amounts of forums, I am new here and do make a point to use proper spelling and such (minus the occasional 'cause and chillen'). Im not so bothered about people typing like that, but rather how that mind set of abbreviating every possible thing effects our society. It seems that sometimes we try to abbreviate not just words, but everyday tasks. Don't get me wrong now, I do my fair share of lazing around (otherwise i probaly wouldnt be online right now) but it is rather dissapointing seeing this so prevalent today.

Wow... I thought I was the only one ranting about this. Personally I don't mind people talking with shortened words on chats... I do that myself, but I don't go lke dis u no. i simply talk without any capitalized letters.I get a bit annoyed with people who don't talk normally in forums. I mean, you've got all the time to post correctly... it's not real-time like in chat. Like Tetraca said, they can always use a spell checker. Is it so hard to type correctly? I can understand for people who are really bad at spelling and grammar, but I know not everyone who posts like that has that problem.

Well most of the time noobtalk is used by people who are very young and don't know how to type fast, or people who think that it's "cool" to type like that, or maybe just some low intelligent people who can't type or spell... but it certainly is annoying, especially in online games (like Maple Story, made for younger gamers). People who ask for in-game money "can i hav sum mony im poor" etc. And I noticed that the "Make Money Online" area in this forum is also filled with people who promote referal links and their own services in noobtalk too... sigh

Okay, seriously, this has been bothering me for a while now. Before I say anything, I just want to say that I didn't speak like I do now when I first started going on the internet. My typing wasn't perfect then (and it still isn't) but it certainly isn't to the level of noobs.

When I say noobs, I actually mean people who type like this.

Something like that (I can't think of a better example than those that request free hosting on Xisto without looking at the readmes and stuff.

I really hate them, they're annoying. They don't even try to put any effort into their typing.

Another thing about noobs, sometimes their typing is so illegible and horrible, I can't even make an example. It's like reading a whole paragraph (that's if they even write that much in the first place) and looking at all sorts of spelling errors, grammar errors, missing punctuations, and shortcut words, which I like to call AIM talk. (These include words like: u, y, plz, tnx, w/e, cuz, lol)

Another thing that semi-bothers me is 1337 (leet) talk. It's often used by "cool" or "respected" people that like to pretend to be noobs to make fun of them. They type absolute nonsense just to piss whoever that doesn't know they're actuallying making a joke off. I don't like them at all. For one thing, they're still talking in noob language and it makes me lose respect for them.

I understand it if people talk that way in games, or things like that. (chatrooms are okay sometimes) But talking like that when they're on forums or anything related to that is just annoying. Even instant messenger gets annoying sometimes, but I can deal with them because 75% of people that use instant messengers talk like that. It's like an unofficial rule or something.

Hey take It easy! Hahaha,You 100% right but I mean they still new to forums and problay dn't know that they should type proper (I know they should of read Xisto rules before signing up, but they noobs and think the rules are all the same for all messaging boards) We should just warn them from the begining because after all we were all noobs at one stage.Lets use this topic for noobs to get the point that they HAVE TO type proper at Xisto .

Hey take It easy! Hahaha,You 100% right but I mean they still new to forums and problay dn't know that they should type proper (I know they should of read Xisto rules before signing up, but they noobs and think the rules are all the same for all messaging boards) We should just warn them from the begining because after all we were all noobs at one stage.Lets use this topic for noobs to get the point that they HAVE TO type proper at Xisto .

Hopefully you were making the spelling mistakes on purpose... lol