xisto Community
husker

Member Of The Week

I think that this forum should have member of the week (or day or month) awards. This member would be someone who contributed a lot over the week. The prize would be like 10 credits. I think it would get more people involved and make them want to post to feel special.

Well instead of the week or month there is an award like that for the year. I started this last year and will continue it. We had many awards as part of the 2005 Xisto Awards and a 2006 will be held this year. I think I am going to take donations of credits so the winners can get as many as allowed. So if you guys can hang in there you will start to see more information about that soon.

I think there should be a two awards. One for the year that would get a ton of credits and then one for the month that gets like 1/4 of the year credits or something. I dont know just a suggestion.

Well you know I'd be willing to do this as well if the mods and admins agree. It would help members be more active. Hopefully though it won't go too far into the member's head to make them think they have more power then others and what not and should be mods at that moment although it would look good on a resume (well what the admins look at.) There would have to be nominations each month though which we could start I guess after 3 weeks and have voting during the first week of the following month.

I will donate some credits if that would help. I always seem to have lots.Let me know when you need them and how many.

One of the admins would need to put a donation mod on? Or just edit it manually (Which may take time)Also with the nomonation list, someone should start a thread and if people want to be nomonated, they have to post.

I like the idea about someone starting a post to be nominated. I think the Admins should do that. I think to be in there you have to have like over 100 or 200 posts.

Well we have done the Member of Year and they don't have to have 100 posts for the month it would be whichever member was helpful, generous, kind or whatever for that month. I think we already have a way for those to recieve the credits and if not we have a mod. If Buffalo or OpaQue allow it I can set it up.

that s a good idea!!! i also think that would make people post more and get more involved. and also we could win something like 5 credits for each friend that we invite and who register here and ost a minimum of 10 posts for example. that would make people spread the word all over and would be cool to the forums and stuff.

that s a good idea!!! i also think that would make people post more and get more involved. and also we could win something like 5 credits for each friend that we invite and who register here and ost a minimum of 10 posts for example. that would make people spread the word all over and would be cool to the forums and stuff.

Well I don't think the referall system would work out. People will come make 10 posts and leave then unelss they want hosting. I do think though that it would make this place even more active because people will strive for the extra credits. I wouldn't make a 2nd or 3rd place though, put all the honor on that member but you never know. I would give the winner probably 30 credits (enough for a month of hosting)

The only problem would be what would the non members get. I can make a banner or someone could to give as well to the winner and if the non member decides to get hosting he can then recieve his reward. If not, he will recieve the banner atleast to be recognized like the hosted.
Edited by Plenoptic (see edit history)

** IN THIS POST I AM PLAYING DEVIL'S ADVOCATE SO THESE ARE NOT NECCESSARILY MY VIEWPOINTS AND THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS **

The referral idea is in theory good but proxies would be an issue. Xman registers multiple accounts all under different IPs with the help of a proxy and the PC at school. He does this 10 times [5*10 = 50] and earns a nice, easy bonus. This would be even easier to exploit than the competition unless, like the transfer system, you need to acquire 30 credits before you can claim your bonus.

And as for the competition:

Who? - Who would run it? Only OpaQue has complete access over the credit system so he would have to take some part in the running of it. We all know how busy he is. If a member were to run it, they wouldn't be happy sacrificing their valuable credits each week. If we made members pay a fee for the competition, then they'll soon realise it's somewhat like a lottery, give 10 and get back 1.

Proxies - Although your average Dow Jones may not know what a proxy is, some people do and they're everywhere on the net and easy to use. All Hackzor would have to do is register a "control" account with which he'd set up a hosting account.

Then, just before every competition he'd register a new account under a proxy, become really "helpful" under he wins his 10 credits, transfer them over to the control. Etcetera, etcetera.

If members were running it, Hackzor wouldn't even need to worry about the proxy because members cannot check IPs, so a moderator would need to have some input in the competition.

Will It Work? - Are you sure the competition will be succesful in achieving one of the stated aims of increased activity? Members may be really helpful for the first few months but after they've won their prize they may "relax." That looks likely in my opinion.

The Novelty Value - When Plenoptic kindly organized the end-of-year competition in 2005, everyone entered because it was novel and new and "wow they've never done this before" kinda thing. Repeating over and over again every week and month makes the entire thing tiresome and dull. Saving it for later makes it more exciting.

So OpaQue and another moderator would ideally be required in the running of it and they may not neccessarily be available at the required time. Furthermore, it may become boring if repeated that often

The major thing is, however, the abuse of the idea and before you say that people won't abuse the competition, ask older members about the edit button and they'll tell you they will <_<

lol You had to bring that kind of stuff up didn't you. Well multiple IP's can't have a hosting account atleast and I wouldn't mind spending the credits like 30 a month, it wouldn't be that hard for me but you know saving it for the end of the year probably would be the best idea. It really doesn't matter to me either or both works, I could do both of them.Edit:By the way I meant I would only taking donations for end of year so those who win can get more and people can take a bigger part of it by giving something to them. Sort of like all of Xisto is giving them the award. But really it isn't up to me.

Edited by Plenoptic (see edit history)

Well seems like most people would like it. So... is it going to happen or not? Also what will people be judged on or should be judged on is a good question or should be at least brought up before the actual real deal. I was thinking on these things:People who have been helpfulPeople who have not been warned. You cannot win if you have been warned. (just for that month)Someone who posts a lot, but a lot of good, long, topics.Someone who is active a lot.And maybe more or less, but just a suggestion.

Well I figured 3 weeks into the month we will have nominations for people (not yourself) and give reasons why they should be member of the month and then after a week of nomination voting would start and end after another week. It would really be members that try to help out, show acts of kindness, or are really active like you said there could be many reasons.