xisto Community
delivi

Phishers Target Google Gmail Users Be Careful GMail Users

IT security experts warned today of a "widespread phishing email campaign" that tries to swindle unwary recipients by pretending to offer a cash prize from Gmail, Google's popular free email service.
The emails claim that the recipient has been randomly selected for a $500 cash prize, and that the money can be paid automatically if they click on the embedded web link. Part of the email reads as follows:

'You won $500! Gmail congratulates you!
CONGRATULATIONS!
YOU WON $500!
Gmail gives members random cash prizes. Today, your account is randomly selected as the one of 12 top winners accounts who will get cash prizes from us. Please click the link below and follow instructions on our web site. Your money will be paid directly to your e-gold, PayPal, StormPay or MoneyBookers account.'

The embedded link takes users to a web page saying that there has been a problem sending the payment. They are then asked to enter their bank details and pay a membership fee of $8.60.

"Of course this email wasn't really sent by the folks at Gmail, and the $500 cash prize doesn't exist. Anyone tempted to try and collect it is in danger of walking straight into a trap set by these fraudsters," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at Sophos.

"People need to learn that there is no such thing as a free lunch, and be much more wary of unsolicited email communications whoever they may appear to come from."

Sophos revealed in a survey earlier this year that 58 per cent of people receive at least one phishing email every day.

Souce: Vnunet.com

Notice from Dooga:
Whether the source is given or not, it is important to quote material, as it will prevent other people from thinking that one has paraphrased or modified the original article, and it will also prevent search engines from thinking that the two sites are copying each other. The entire article was wrapped with quotes, and a 10% warning was given as a reminder. Sorry for any inconvenience this might cause, but this must be done.

Edited by Dooga (see edit history)

That spam is the least of my worries. I'm really jaded when it comes to my inbox. Hopefully the spam filters will block it out unlike one of the spam mail I recieved on gmail.

IT security experts warned today of a "widespread phishing email campaign" that tries to swindle unwary recipients by pretending to offer a cash prize from Gmail, Google's popular free email service.
The emails claim that the recipient has been randomly selected for a $500 cash prize, and that the money can be paid automatically if they click on the embedded web link. Part of the email reads as follows:

CONGRATULATIONS!
YOU WON $500!
Gmail gives members random cash prizes. Today, your account is randomly selected as the one of 12 top winners accounts who will get cash prizes from us. Please click the link below and follow instructions on our web site. Your money will be paid directly to your e-gold, PayPal, StormPay or MoneyBookers account.'

The embedded link takes users to a web page saying that there has been a problem sending the payment. They are then asked to enter their bank details and pay a membership fee of $8.60.

"Of course this email wasn't really sent by the folks at Gmail, and the $500 cash prize doesn't exist. Anyone tempted to try and collect it is in danger of walking straight into a trap set by these fraudsters," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at Sophos.

"People need to learn that there is no such thing as a free lunch, and be much more wary of unsolicited email communications whoever they may appear to come from."

Sophos revealed in a survey earlier this year that 58 per cent of people receive at least one phishing email every day.

is this realy truth ? please tell me now ? plz.

CONGRATULATIONS!
YOU WON $500!

huh, thats not surprising, I get thousands of email a day on a junk yahoo account just like that and when I say thousands i mean it.it just took the crooks longer to start with gmail, but I haven't ever gotten spam on gmail before, just 1 email in the spam folder about a year ago, and it took me a couple of days before I even noticed it

CONGRATULATIONS!
YOU WON $500!

I think you should put this text into the quote because you have coppyed this from another site.

hi frnds is this real so please tellme how to buy cash using gmail am also a gmail user.can any one please tell me how to win that gift.i an realy exitig for this topic.please pm me or email me on gaggu121@gmail.com and send me all info about his service.gmail is best than all email services bkos that is not able to hack soon.bkos it hv a big secuity i like it very much.please soon replay me or pm or email me at gaggu121@gmail.com hope some 1 ll soon tell me about this service.Thanks.Hv a nice day for all frnds..

hi frnds is this real so please tellme how to buy cash using gmail am also a gmail user.can any one please tell me how to win that gift.i an realy exitig for this topic.please pm me or email me on gaggu121@gmail.com and send me all info about his service.gmail is best than all email services bkos that is not able to hack soon.bkos it hv a big secuity i like it very much.please soon replay me or pm or email me at gaggu121@gmail.com hope some 1 ll soon tell me about this service.
Thanks.
Hv a nice day for all frnds..

You are kidding, right? Please say yes. It is a scam.

I have never seen this email in my account before. I do get plenty of spoofed(I assumed they are spoofed) emails that lead me to sketchy looking pharmacy sites. Nothing a filter and/or spam can't fix, though.

I'm too much mature enough to know that nothing comes for free unless I have lucky draw in hands. Especially such phishing emails are too obvious. They are so popular like some faithful guys who have been sending phishing emails from Nigeria and other countries. I will probably know and infact Google has filtered out the email that are suspicious of such things.

sometimes suspicious emails are real though. i got an email for a free magazine subscription and it turned out to be true.I thought it was spam at first. What I did was look at the message headers to see what domain the email was coming from and the path it took. Then instead of hitting reply, i typed in the email address to ask the guy if it was a scam just to see if the email was being spoofed.the other good test is the type of information they want from you. They asked for my name and mailing address. They did not ask for any type of payment information. I took the risk, sent them my info and a few months later, I started getting free magazines.

for this reason Unless i know who the sender is or the site name where it came frm, then i dont open it. i get about 20 emails a day all spam, and some dont even look like spam, also iread one of you weree getting magazine offers, those too, if i didnt request it i dont wnt it.

Another rubbish eh? <_< Jeez, they're getting desperate. Only newbies would fall for that. Anyway, thankfully, I haven't gotten one of these yet. I don't want to waste my time seeing such a poorly made joke.

I have a gmail account, and i never recived those emails yet. and besides, google will never give you $500 unless you are working for them...wonder if gmail support was contacted about the spam???