xisto Community
fdpvip

Pop-up Makers Know What They're Doing

Lately I've gone to sites that have things scroll across the screen, and the only way to make them go away is by clicking a miniscule X in the corner, and if you click anywhere else it takes you to their site. Drives me nuts. Also bad are the rollover ones, when you roll the cursor over them, they get bigger. ARGH! :) I wish the internet could just be clean and nice!

yea true, they are annoying but a good way for those peope to make money becuase sometimes you accidently click on them so, whoever has those ads in their sites. But they do drive trafic away so i don't relly think it's a good idea to have them.

Argh, I know exactly what you mean! It gets to the level where it's basicly visual pollution (really obnoxious, especially as an artist).I have found one good solution though (i'm sure there are others out there): If you get a copy of firefox, and then get the 'adblock' plugin you can remove all of those obnoxious types of ads. Plus you can get rid of banner ads, javascript pop-ups, etc, etc, etc. The one thing that it seems they havn't found a way around is one specific loophole in java. But the 'faster fox' plugin has an option to fix it (as well as providing all sorts of nice proformance tweaks).P.S. Wouldn't this be more relavent to the vent section? Just my 2cents.

Edited by gaea (see edit history)

Yeah, I wasn't sure which one to put it in, but I figured since it was about popups it would go a bit better in the popups section. I won't accept hosting with popups, because I couldn't stand to work on a website that constantly has things popping up.

spawn of satan = pop-upsnuff saidbut seriosuly, god dam annoying. . . . i find the "roll-over" flash block adds annoying too. . . . the oens where you accidently roll over it it expands over parts of the page grrrrrrr

Actually... I still don't see the point of those stuff. Even if you accidentally <- snipped -> it doesn't really mean that you were interested in going it in the first place, so you leave the site right away. So what happens to those who pay to get their site advertised through pop-ups? Nothing. They don't really get the visits they need most of the time and they gradually become infamous. Nobody likes being forced to look at something. They're as annoying as those guys forcing brochures in your face about some real estate company.}}

pop-up makers always try new way to by-pass new popup blocker. Can't really say popups are bad because some people look it at a good source of money. I'm pretty sure everyone would have advertisement on their sites if they get 5000 clicks everyday.

Can't really say popups are bad because some people look it at a good source of money. I'm pretty sure everyone would have advertisement on their sites if they get 5000 clicks everyday.

I humbly beg to differ. On some websites, such as the political work I have hosted here at Xisto, ads would be completely inaproprate. It all depends on your intent, content, and audience. In some cases it's great, but in others it can undermind the entire foundation (and respectiablity) of a website.

pop up and pop under are soo annoying, especially now that they're using java so that the pop up blockers can't get to them.sites that use them will suffer from lack of visitor interest.

I do hate now how all the pop-ups get worse and worse but look at it this way. The more annoying the pop-ups are, the less likely someone will return to the site but almost more likely you will get one click out of a couple people because they accidently hit it. Other than that, you get nothing. I think if people would use Google Adsense which are related to the topic then I think they would probably make even more money than they think they are getting with their pop ups