xisto Community
tyrant_dictator

So I Work In A Hotel Im a Hotel Engineer....

So the best thing, I run into volleyball teams, make pot smokers paranoid (Like I'll call the cops) and generally get to see all sorts of crazy going ons, Does anyone have any fun stories about hotel stays/employment? I'd like to see that I am not the only one.....

What exactly is a "hotel engineer"?I'm not trying to offend anyone here but one of my pet peeves are people calling themselves engineers when they aren't. I really hate politically correct terms and euphemisms. I know that most people just use job titles that are consistent with the industry but it bother me.For example, a "sanitation engineer" is not an engineer when he/she collects garbage or cleans washrooms. A "sanitation engineer" that does environmental studies, develops/maintains water purification systems, etc. is an engineer.Again, I'm not trying to put anyone down. I just think that if your job is a garbage man, there is no shame in saying "I am a garbage man". In fact, the average wage of a garbage man is higher than the wages of most real engineers.

What exactly is a "hotel engineer"?

I'm not trying to offend anyone here but one of my pet peeves are people calling themselves engineers when they aren't.  I really hate politically correct terms and euphemisms.  I know that most people just use job titles that are consistent with the industry but it bother me.

For example, a "sanitation engineer" is not an engineer when he/she collects garbage or cleans washrooms.  A "sanitation engineer" that does environmental studies, develops/maintains water purification systems, etc. is an engineer.

Again, I'm not trying to put anyone down.  I just think that if your job is a garbage man, there is no shame in saying "I am a garbage man".  In fact, the average wage of a garbage man is higher than the wages of most real engineers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think a hotel engineer is someone who fixes every thing??? Does all the engineering ?? Like the light bulbs....right ?

I swear a sanitation egineer was someone to clear the human excrete and stuff ??

Well anyways cool job....I have this funny story I went to a 5 star hotel with my friend,jumped on beds....GREAT FUN.And REEEEEEEEEEEEALLLY funny. Oh and we took all thhe expensive cosmetic stuff from the re-fill trolley when they come to add some to the empty rooms made fun of the male staff and laughed at all of them oh and I spilt nasty juice on the bed.

...Verry fun indeed....:D:)

i almost lit a hotel on fire once...it was a five star embassy suites and we went to a resteraunt, and they had a bowl of matchbooks. So we obviously filled our pockets. On the way back, there was a dry field, and you know we were shooting matches at eachother. So i lit a whole book on fire and threw it in the field. A huge flame came out of the center of the field, right next to the hotel. It was about up to my waist. I thought about running, but instead i jumped into the middle of it, and the flame went outit was great lol

i almost lit a hotel on fire once...

it was a five star embassy suites and we went to a resteraunt, and they had a bowl of matchbooks. So we obviously filled our pockets. On the way back, there was a dry field, and you know we were shooting matches at eachother. So i lit a whole book on fire and threw it in the field.

A huge flame came out of the center of the field, right next to the hotel. It was about up to my waist. I thought about running, but instead i jumped into the middle of it, and the flame went out

it was great lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...Lmao...yes it seams people have more fun ruining hotel rooms and trashing the place...rather than working in one....no affence.,,

Hotel Engineer

So I Work In A Hotel

I think a Hotel Engineer/supervisor/director is to be responsible for supervising engineering efforts at a hotel. The position requires proficiency in one or more building trades (e.G. Plumbing, electrical) and a solid knowledge of general engineering/maintenance. Promptly responds to guest and safety issues rather it is the building, lighting,sound, comfort and facilities etc.

-reply by Susann

What exactly is a "hotel engineer"?
I'm not trying to offend anyone here but one of my pet peeves are people calling themselves engineers when they aren't. I really hate politically correct terms and euphemisms. I know that most people just use job titles that are consistent with the industry but it bother me.

For example, a "sanitation engineer" is not an engineer when he/she collects garbage or cleans washrooms. A "sanitation engineer" that does environmental studies, develops/maintains water purification systems, etc. is an engineer.

Again, I'm not trying to put anyone down. I just think that if your job is a garbage man, there is no shame in saying "I am a garbage man". In fact, the average wage of a garbage man is higher than the wages of most real engineers.

Well you've said you haven't tried to offend anyone but the truth of the matter is you probably have... any how maybe you would like to know what the definition of an engineer really is? According to the Oxford Dictionary (this concerns you):

• noun 1 a person qualified in engineering. 2 a person who maintains or controls an engine or machine. 3 a person who skilfully originates something.
• verb 1 design and build. 2 contrive to bring about.

I believe noun 2 would accurately categorise your garbage man and some hotel management staff as engineers. Why? Because they 'maintain or control' aspects in the role they facilitate. Garbage Men and Women* (let me correct you there*) can be referred to an engineer depending on their level of qualification.

It seems to me that you become narrow minded when you say

'there's no shame in saying I'm a garbage man'

... Yet you assume that they are not qualified with a high level qualification at environmental studies?

Take my advice, and I'm not trying to offend you, but manage your right to freedom of speech for simple human kindness and the respect of those who occupy the corners of society making sure we have a happy, easier life. In this case, a comfortable, clean and healthy overnight stay...

:P
Edited by filmdesire (see edit history)

My job title is Technical Manager, Yet i do allot of similar things that you do this could include things like plumbing, changing light fittings , sound engineering, website maintenance, It administrator, desktop support to generator maintenance Basically anything that breaks or has todo with technology will come past me. At one of my previous jobs my title was 'Field Service Engineer' for a IT company , basically a computer/IT technician. I think the term engineer is very broad just like the term doctor is broad. One can study to become a doctor in fields like physics and hold the title doctor yet they aren't the same as your local doctor that you go visit in a hospital. If you have to 'engineer'/build solutions where you work , then you are busy engineering an solution. I think If you are engineering then your job title should include engineering in it. Weather you studied for it or not.

Nowadays, terms like engineer are often loosely incorporated into job roles that may have previously been considered of the entry level, blue-collar persuasion. An unconventional use of the term at best, at least from my jaundiced perspective. The phenomenon strikes me as yet another corporate ploy to make the rapidly declining work force feel good about performing menial labor for a shrinking paycheck. Factor in dollar decline and inflation and today?s American slave averages no more take-home than he did in 1972 (not sure on date, but if memory serves it was in fact this year). And the dollar continues to decline. I imagine this is more apparent in the States where we are currently undergoing a controlled demolition of the economy, thanks to the same parasites pushing global government and the "green" agenda. They envision an entire world of low-paid surfs at their disposal. I always chuckle when I hear the talking heads exclaim that employment rates are on the rise. For who, and doing what? They fail to mention the jobs in question entail flipping burgers at McDonald?s and scrubbing toilets at Wal-Mart, or....shoveling dog crap off a manicured hotel lawn. The skilled blue/white collar jobs that once fueled the American empire are being systematically shipped offshore where highly educated foreign counterparts perform the same work for far less. So your average slave is going to feel a whole lot better about changing light bulbs in a hotel room for minimum wage if he gets to call himself an engineer. And the employer, conversely, knows he?s going to weed out the fray by inserting terms like ?engineer? into the job category. It?s a win-win for everyone, in a twisted sort of way, that is.

Having said that, I have always found hotel maintenance people extremely hard working, coconscious employees, and above that, fun! Yes, when you get a chance to talk to them outside the prying ears of management they have many stories to tell, most of them involving what they perceive as incompetent management. Many of those I spoke to felt they were hindered from doing their best because a boss couldn?t see the forest for the trees. Still others acquire a jaded view of people in general. "People are animals," was a common theme. Having traveled extensively, I would agree for the most part, though the comparison to animals is an insult to our furred and feathered bretheren. I am always appalled at how people treat property that belongs to someone else. Usually the people in question are over eighteen.

I recall a recent stay at a west coast Holiday Inn Express. The property had seen better days, I think. It?s proximity to the Pacific Ocean and fine reputation subjected it to overuse form the vulgar, partying horde and business road warriors alike. While I was there a nurse?s convention was in progress. These medical professionals were feeding on junk food: chips, soda and the like. The irony. But they also had wine, which I happily availed myself to. Yes, I am capable of morphing into a nurse when free booze enters the equation. Thankfully none were wearing those pesky name cards and I slithered in unnoticed. These "adults" became quite unruly as the event progressed and after all was said and done it looked like a hurricane had hit. Hotel staff had never seen such a mess. These are the same scum sticking needles in your arm.

When I checked into my room I was impressed with the size. It was large for a non-suite Holiday Inn. But so much of the space was underutilized. There was square dining table, but no work desk. If any of you travel you know how essential a work desk is. After inquiring with maintainace I discovered none of the rooms, not even suites, had work desks. He rightly thought it was poor use of space. Management claimed they ?couldn?t afford work desks.? Never mind that particular property pulls in an obscene amount of revenue and every other Holiday Inn I?ve ever stayed at had a work desk, for crying out loud.

So in the final equation we?re talking about fun at hotels, eh? What I consider ?fun? during a hotel stay might not fit the common definition. My idea of a good time is being left the hell alone with no extraneous noise to cloud my misanthropic thoughts. Sadly, this kind of fun is hard to find in a hotel. It?s for this reason I prefer to scope out a property before checking in. This almost involves riding the elevator to the highest floor and locating a corner room that, 1). Faces toward the back of the property, and 2).is not parallel to the linen closet, i.e., the maid hangout. As much as I love the Spanish language I?m not about to subject my ears to these shrill cacklers all day.

I do not check in until after I?ve scoped out a suitable location for my kind of fun. I?m not the only one. Top floor corner rooms are highly prized among seasoned travelers. One need look no further than previous posts to understand why.