xisto Community
Tetraca

Apple And "innovation"

People say apple made the first GUI, just as some say DOS was the first OS for MCs(Microcomputers - Any computer with a microprocessor basically). Either way both are wrong. Apple made the first popular GUI(Mac OS, though the Lisa preceded it), and Gary Kildall made the first OS for MCs(CP/M).Xerox PARC actually created the first GUI on a called the Alto in 1973. Then they came up with the Xerox Star, which is the first to have desktop metaphors - images that relate to real world objects in 1981, two years before the Lisa.Tabbed Dialogs are also not an original idea. IBM's OS/2 had the first tabbed dialogs. Also, Apple's Dock and the Windows taskbar were borrowed from RISC OS.Apple isn't so innovative after all...

Funny...I just bought an iPod shuffle last night, and now I have a bone to pick with apple about how you can only use iTunes to add music to your iPod (without hacking it), especially when iTunes is the SLOWEST program I have EVER seen.It's worse than running Counter-Strike: Source on my pentium 2, and all I'm doing is looking through mp3s. =/

I never used apple except for buying my ipod wich I hated it to death, it has nothing except putting music and some videos. And its pprice equal the price of a phone that has numerous features. I bought a JXD mp4 and it has all what I need: putting music and videos etc.. and memory lots, voice recorder, web browser, 5 megapixel camera with video and auto focus, games, tools (e.g dictionnary) and other features as well for only 120 US$!!!! On the contrary my 60 Gegs ipod costed 600 US$. So I hate apple.

I never used apple except for buying my ipod wich I hated it to death, it has nothing except putting music and some videos. And its pprice equal the price of a phone that has numerous features. I bought a JXD mp4 and it has all what I need: putting music and videos etc.. and memory lots, voice recorder, web browser, 5 megapixel camera with video and auto focus, games, tools (e.g dictionnary) and other features as well for only 120 US$!!!! On the contrary my 60 Gegs ipod costed 600 US$. So I hate apple.

Your logic is a bit flawed.

Your player: 512mb
iPod shuffle: 512mb

Your player: $120
iPod shuffle: $70

The reason your player is so much cheaper than the 60 gig iPod you had, is because it has an enormous amount less memory. So from a music standpoint, you would have gotten a cheaper deal with an iPod shuffle. From a general standpoint though, the $50 difference pays for the extra features your player has.

Finally, a topic that I understand! I'm stuck in the middle. What other operating system can use mac and windows software? That's just about all that Apple seems to do right! My dad's Apple computer got tossed out onto the deck because he got so annoyed at the thing for being slow and the limits that it placed on his working stuff. Sometimes Mac is better but there really are no programs for the thing, are there? Innovation? More like a giant step back and watching Windows from the side!

First of all, who cares who actually came up with the first OS and and first GUI because we all know that it was just a matter of time since we are visual beings. Secondly, dont hate on Apple. I am and PC user but my next computer may actually be a Mac. First of all, Macs are not really ment for the the average user who doesnt know anything about computers. It was built on top of linux which is for the computer adept people. Secondly, macs are not slow but are built more for graphical applications than what windows computers are made for. Finally, the IPod complaints. If you were a producer of the most popular player, would you let others sync with it when you could instead for the average user to use your software and use your song store? It is a smart business move for them and if you really want to use it with differnet software, use winamp which works great for it too.

Well I'm glad that I didn't pick an IPod for my MP3 player. I got a Phillips GoGear instead. It has only 30 gigs, but it has a FM Radio, a Voice/FM recorder and pictures. For the price of what it would of cost me for just for the 30 gig IPod, I got the MP3 player, a 2 year warrenty and a FM transmitter. I dislike Apple, because there system isn't as userfriendly as they claim it to be. I get more questions on macs at my work then anything else. The only thing I find Macs good for is for Video, Image and Sound editing, other then that I would never buy a mac.

The other thing that gets me about Apple is the commercal they are running about Macs, stating what is so good about a mac compared to a PC. Half the stuff they say about Macs in those commercals is false. They don't have very many "Fun" programs, since some can now run windows they are now subseptiable to all the windows based Virus, and they are more unlikely to not work with devices such as Cameras, Pen Drives, I've even had problems with IPods not working on some Macs. :)

I hope I didn't go too far off topic, I promise not to rant any more about Macs or Apple, at least for awhile :(

IMHO, Apple is pathetic. The only thing that keeps them alive is the iPod, a device which is terribly overpriced and lacking in features. Their computers have few nice features, are super expensive, and SLOWSLOWSLOW...

I'm stuck in the middle. What other operating system can use mac and windows software?

There are plenty - BeOS(Now YellowTAB Zeta), OS/2(Now Serenity eComStation), Plan 9(now Vita Nuova Inferno), Linux or BSD(One of the better choices), ReactOS(Open Source Windows Clone) and many other ameteur OSes that aren't as notable.

First of all, Macs are not really ment for the the average user who doesnt know anything about computers.

Then what's the iMac? Real techies get a computer you can actually upgrade without your head asploding.

It was built on top of linux which is for the computer adept people.

No. It was built atop FreeBSD and the old inefficient Mach Microkernel(50% slower than other UNIX kernels such as BSD, though I suspect apple has fixed that). They're two completely different kernels each sharing some POSIX standardiztion. Their binary formats are not interchangeable.

Secondly, macs are not slow but are built more for graphical applications than what windows computers are made for

That contradicts what you say about macs being for more adept computer users. Advanced ones like CLIs and avoid GUIs.I've used a mac before, but I hate things oversturated with eye candy. So I use FreeBSD + Fluxbox and Windows 2000 for Studio 8.

The only beef I have with apple is on the new laptops runnign core Duos. Apparently apple put soe much thermal grease on their CPU HSF that it overheats to the point you can burn your hand on the exterior of the laptop! There are pictures online somewhere showing this huge glob of the white crap. Even the manual tells the installer to put at least 3cm of the crap on the CPU... pitiful.

The only beef I have with apple is on the new laptops runnign core Duos. Apparently apple put soe much thermal grease on their CPU HSF that it overheats to the point you can burn your hand on the exterior of the laptop! There are pictures online somewhere showing this huge glob of the white crap. Even the manual tells the installer to put at least 3cm of the crap on the CPU... pitiful.

Apple actually sad that it's macbook is not a laptop, and it shouldn't be on your lap in the first place! There is also a warning the users manual about it also.

Apple actually sad that it's macbook is not a laptop, and it shouldn't be on your lap in the first place! There is also a warning the users manual about it also.

that doesn't matter in this case. Apple advertises it as a laptop but then declares it a notebook once you begin having heat issues? I don't care for that at all.

Good discussion:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Pic of thermal goop:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by Chez (see edit history)

Well, I have to say that all the people I know who have MACs love them - use Linux myself.

I used Windows pretty much all the time I got to know computers well, and never realised how much simple pain I was giving myself. I would probably have bought a MAC, only they have a reputation of being rather expensive - and have been since MAC1. And untill recently you couldn't dual boot them - not that I would want windows to contaminate a new computer.

I mean, from the small amout I have used MACs, they seemed pretty nice, though confusing at first. I didn't feel very much in control, but still, anything unix-based is better than windows... then came across a Ubuntu live CD, and my life began.

But the MAC was nice, so I don't see your problem with MACs being slow - even Microsoft liked MAC OSX Tiger, and are now cloning it as Vista (which, by the way, means chicken in Latvian).

If Microsoft can see something in it, then it must be OK, right?

I have had several Apple's over the years and they haven't always had problems. The MAC OS7 I had about 8 years ago was probably the sturdiest MAC I ever had, the only let down being it was old and incompatible... I then had a MAC OS9, it was good until it started having over heating issues and its screen became VERY defective. Then I got the laptop that made me leave MAC all together: The MacBook OSX... I had torubles with the heating, troubles with the screen, memory reading problems and a hard drive failure. Then one day I started it up and found that I had a kernel error :P . Yes, so I take it down to my local MAC shop and I ask them to fix it, they tell me that it will cost $AU350, am absolutely appaled at the cost of MAC parts and their customer service is absolutely disgusting. I wouldn't even buy an iPod from MAC, let alone another Computer.

3cm of thermal grease does not seem to be correct ! Usually even gap pads are not that thick.Usually companies that make laptop have a limit of touch temperature to be under 50C. So if you are touching the laptop and it is hot then possibly something is wrong with it.