xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SuburbanalCuts

Organic Food! gimme

ok, homies. Who agrees that organic food is freaking yummy? (and healthy)It's dumb dat the shoprites and grocerie stores sell all the organic food at higher prices, when it takes less work to make organic food. (if you do it right)My grams plants tomatoes and they taste so much better than the crap at Shoprite. I advise everyone to make a small garden in your back yard. heh heh.remember not to use the pesticides. :)

I'd always rather go organic than not. I agree, homegrown tomatoes are always much better than those watery store bought ones. *gag* Oh and something else this topic reminded me of, buying eggs from free-range chickens instead of the ones they keep in cages all the time. I don't know if they taste any different, some people swear by em, but I think it's important to support chicken freedom! no, really lol

Personally I do not like the idea of organic food because, while I understand that those of you who buy it think it is better, what do you really gain from it?The knowledge that maybe it is healthier than the stuff from say Safeway or Albertsons? Or the knowledge that maybe you just might live longer than some of us who don't? But what if you don't?

Its just a chance that you have to take. And organic food is better. I don' think inserting chemicals and stuff to make the products bigger and juicier is healthy at all. Maybe to some degree of nutritional value.

I always preferred organic foods, but I can't always afford them. One gallon of organic milk can run as high as $6, while the regular is $2.35, though the regular tastes as cheap as it costs, even worse.Once you try organic, you will never want to go back.

Its just a chance that you have to take. And organic food is better. I don' think inserting chemicals and stuff to make the products bigger and juicier is healthy at all. Maybe to some degree of nutritional value.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it's not. now everything has pesticides and all dat crap. and it's dumb that organic food costs more. It takes less work to make organic food if you grow it right, so why should it cost extra?

anyway, organic food makes you live longer and less likely to die, if you know whats i mean.

Sigh....being a vegetarian I'm dissapointed when I see people not see what the meaning of organic is. You realize the FDA and USDA define organic something to the effect of "containing, comosed of, or based upon carbon". In fact, this definition is what it should be; since organic really means: "Of, relating to, or derived from living organisms" (The American Heritage? Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition). Thus, since we don't know of any non carbon-based life form, the definition works either way you go.

So....organic vegtables should not be trusted anymore then the cheaper one next to it unless you know the source of growing.

One last thing: the reason your grandma's vegtables taste so much better are not because they're "organic". They taste better due to freshness. Store bought vegatables were picked ranging from a week to several weeks ago depending on the season. Your grandma's crops are picked, then eaten. They are not sorted, stored, and the shipped countless times.

(By the way, it's much more labor intensive to grow thousands of acres of crops without pesticides then with them).

(By the way, it's much more labor intensive to grow thousands of acres of crops without pesticides then with them).

38567[/snapback]

well if people actually tryed out different things and found ways to get the same yield as with pesticides we wouldn't need them anymore. And it's been done a lot of times before (look up masanobu fukuoka as an example). Besides, lots of the insects are already developing resistances to pesticides so sometimes it doesn't even have a good effect.

:lol:

Personally I do not like the idea of organic food because, while I understand that those of you who buy it think it is better, what do you really gain from it?
The knowledge that maybe it is healthier than the stuff from say Safeway or Albertsons? Or the knowledge that maybe you just might live longer than some of us who don't? But what if you don't?

Organic food is often better if it is very fresh. To me, it depends on the food. Root vegetables especially are much better when organic as once pesticides get into the tap root there is no way of getting it back out. Also the vitamin content is often higher. Stale food is not nearly as effective as fresh, so certain frozen foods are actually better than there "fresh" counterparts.

Honestly, I can't tell if I'm eating something organic or not. Usually, people consume organic food because it is healthier; thats why I eat it.

It's not dumb that organic food is more expensive. It certainly isn't "easier" to make. The reason it is organic is because the farmers don't use harmful herbicides and pesticides with natural undisturbed soil. I would think that would be harder to manage.

Yea, everybody says that organic food is healthier and better tasting and stuff. It is probably healthier for you but i am not sure about it being better tasting. I think it tastes the same. I don't eat all organic foods, wait... i barely eat any organic foods but i will have some organic food all the time. But i couldn't imagine paying for a gallon of milk for 6.00 dollars, i would rather buy a gallon for like 2 dollars and .50 cents. They taste the same and are probably just about the same health wise.

Home grown Tomatoes taste a considerable amount better than Store-bought. And I know what additives are not in the one I grow. So I'll eat Organic first anyday, given the choice.

I eat organic wherever i can even though it costs more. That is stupid b/c they don't have to process it as much, why does it cost more. Not to mention, pesticides in food will drag your body down after prolonged intake. Also, real organic foods fill you up more, so your portions don't have to be as big. Thats why america is so fat. The processed food keeps you grabbing for more.