xisto Community
husker

Do You See Colors The Same As I Do? color recognition

I was thinking, and what if I see yellow as your blue? It's a weird thought, but what if we each see our colors like red, blue, etc, as different colors then everyone else.Like I see blue as blue, but what if your blue is my green?I know this sounds really weird, but think about it.

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Colors are actually a measurement of wave spectrum that is "bounced" off of a surface with specific wavelength and color temperature. Therefore, however we named it, the temperature and wavelength cannot be changed. The average daylight is measure with temperature of 5000K. With this standard (a normal white light which is constant) a color blue shows anywhere between 440nm to 485nm. Human eye can be detailed but not by so much that these "blue" range is only distinguished to one color. Therefore, blue is blue. However blue may not be called blue if you were brought up to be calling that specific color not as blue but as dark blue, for example. But the universal acceptance of prime colors are set by the light wavelength, which is indisputable. Any deviance from the norm color is usually the lack of one's cones and rods present in one's eyes that transmits signals to one's brain. The extreme case of this deviance is called, color blind.

lol infact i thought about that the other day. I mean its not like we see it the same but the colors are diffrent. But imagine for me it was negativ of what you saw. but wed never find out because what you see as blue. looks diffrent for me. but i also learned the name blue when i was small. so this will be an ever going on mystery. :)I think theres some dogs that are colorblind. Or maybe all dogs are? Its easiyer to know if a person is colorblind or if the person sees colors but just diffrently. well as far as i know its impossible to find out the second one. :)

If one or more types of a person's colour-sensing cones are missing or less responsive than normal to incoming light, that person has a smaller or skewed colour space and is said to be colour deficient. Another term frequently used is "colour blind", although this can be misleading; only a small fraction of colour deficient individuals actually see completely in black and white, and most simply have anomalous colour perception.
Some kinds of colour deficiency are caused by anomalies in the number or nature of cones of the various types, as just described. Others are caused by neural anomalies in those parts of the brain where visual processing takes place.

Some animals may have more than three different types of colour receptors (most marsupials, birds, reptiles and fish) or fewer (most mammals; these are called dichromats and monochromats). Humans and other 'old-world' primates are actually rather unusual in possessing three kinds of receptors.

An unusual and elusive neurological condition sometimes affecting colour perception is synaesthesia - stimulation of one sensory modality gives rise to an experience in another modality. In an auditory synaesthete, for example, an auditory experience may give rise to an experience in the visual modality

I guess that colour, like love, ultimately lies in the eyes of the beholder...

Notice from BuffaloHELP:

I have always been thinking about this, and I always thought it was the real reason why people liked certain colors, but thanks to Buffalohelp it has pretty much been cleared up to me. Thanks.

i was like 4 when i thought about this. a way we can confirm that we probably all see the same colors is how they match on lets say, our computer screens and interfaces. if my blue was your red, your blue my green, wouldnt our desktops seriously be un-navigatable?

This must be something that people think of a lot, my sister just brought this subject up with me the other day.

There must be a way that science can know and measure how people see colors. Otherwise, there wouldn't be somthing like this website: http://www.wellstyled.com/tools/colorscheme2/index-en.html where you can find a color scheme and then see what it looks to people who have various sorts of color blindness.

I have thought about this many times, and ive tried to explain it but half of the people dont get it, or dont believe it. I think it would explain why people think some colours look good, when some people do not. People tell me, but wouldnt everything look strange? Not really because if you have seen it all your life it isnt going to look strange.

I guess that is true. If I think green and blue look good on me, and someone thinks orange and pink look good, then its the way we both see the colors and how they look. Also dogs are color blind, but can see in the dark, and I don't know about cats. But as far as I can tell... humans call see everything, unless there is something that we don't know about? :)

Also why do people in Europe say "colour" and not color? Same thing like "favourite?

What we use as colors (red, green Blue) are just labels to the frequency of light we recieve. there are a few disorders that change to color of the lens of the eye. one of my friends was taught the wrong colors as a kid. he still labels things the wrong color. he sees the same light that anyone else would be the labeling is differentanother fun(to talk about) disorder is synaesthesia. it's a cross wiring of the senses. people with this could be seeing smells or tasting colors. it's not common but interesting notheless.

People do all see blue as blue. But they won't see it exactly the same way as you do. Some people will see certain colors slightly darker or slightly lighter.I had been thinking on this for a long time aswell but last week someone in my class asked the teacher, and he explained this :)

i thought that we all see the same colour just not the same shade of it. That is the most likliest thing i can think of. And BuffaloHelp Cheers for that very interesting piece of information. You learn some thing new everyday.

it will be fun if you see red as blue or yellow like red, imagine what fun it would be, i know that persons who have this eye anormality even never know that they have it, they pass all they life seeing trees like purple, or even watching you like red, ja!, so fun!, it's a funy seek, pink elephants! lol!