xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SuburbanalCuts

Black And White Vs. Color?

i sed to like color, and thought black and white was boring crap, but after seeing a couple of B&W movies, like chaplin, 12 angry men, and dr. strangelove, you know, i'm staring to like dat more. heh heh.

yeah, im more into colour movies, but i reckon that there is a certain quality about black and white movies, (almost like a classic feel) and when used properly black and white can be really really effective.

Color is best to b&W clearly, because it's like real thing. You can experience real life on the click of a buton :) You cand diferenciete the tomato for the colour.Mabye in the future will be the tv with smels, or touch even :D But the best thing to next to color changing is adding of sound to the motion picuture. This is the real diference from black and white to colour.The classics will still be the best in all the future generation in my oppinion.Becaouse they caputrate some epocal comedy, ideeas, jokes, ideeas etc. and so on. Like Tom & Jerry or Chaplin. Disney.

to stylize a piece that can benefit from it, I think black and white can be a very effective tool to create mood (which can ultimately become an unspoken character). just because you have the technology for color, doesn't mean other visual filters should be ignored. Playing with shadows and negative space can be very interesting, if the story warrents.

Black and white can be extremely effective especially in photos. A brilliant photo of you and your mates at the pub looks 10 times better when converted into black and white. The colour seems to take a lot of that away. Wedding photos often have copies printed in black and white for the effect.

I do prefer color over black and white though I like my color to be really dark and only bright when it really needs to be.

well if you are speaking of movies and tv then colour is best, ever tried watching a snooker game in black and white :) not good.. Photographs though are much nicer in Black and white, you see the picture better some how, the subject matter, with colour though you see the colours first and then the picture. Sepia is even better for that oldie worldy feel, which i guess is supposed to be old and faded black and white. :)

Well color or B/W doesn't matter if you are looking for entertainment and content. I mean charlie chaplin and some comedy titles are good in B/W. and they still rocks. and there was time when b/w transtioning into color at that time media quality was at primitive stage. Movies like Frankenstein, dr jekyl and other scary movies :) are worth a watch as well. :) so all those old B/W movies/serials and stuff are worth to watch as well. I like stuff that entertains i don't look it as b/w and color if it's high with content.

I agree.There is more atmosphere with black and white.It leaves more to the imagination. It is much more art.Mind you.I should actually turn on the t.v and watch something.Minesbeen collecting dust for three years at least.

Well, of course that we would like a color screen TV, instead of one with black and white, but that doesn't goes for everybody. Some pictures really don't 'make any sense' if they are in color, so it's better for them to be black and white. Also, lots of artists think that by making their image non-colored (in black and white), they will make a better photography, or any other kind of art piece. I like doing 2D and 3D arts in color as much as I do in black and white. And somehow, when I see an older movie(in black and white), something makes me think that the world didn't had any colors back in that time. Black and white really is making the atmosphere better.

Well for me....Televisions: Colour, because i watch Dave (a tv channel that always has top gear) :D and how can you watch black and white and that?? Please!Photography: It depends on what you are taking pictures of. If it is like a family photo or people then yeah, the fashion these days is to have a black and white photo, but if you are taking a picture of the outdoors then whats the point? You cant point out the shapes of clouds and some objects blend into others because they have the same shade of colour.But however. LCD screens are sharper in black and white than in colour, because the base colour is black and the there are no wasted pixels trying to blend the shades of colours (ie. lots of red, tiny amount of blue, some green) where greyscale is more like (some red, some blue, some green)

There has always been something epic about black and white, it makes even the cheesiest home film look artistic.Personally I prefer colour but when it is managed well, favorites of mine are the colours in 300, the matrix, heroes, max payne and top gear. Dark rich colours are just so much cooler than the stuff you normally see.With photography I think rich B&W is always going to be awesome, at the moment my colour photography has a cross processed or desaturated feel to it because I can't stand normal colours. Something that will change eventually I think!

Edited by novoAlias (see edit history)

Dave is a fantastic channel So many Top gear shows on there I had blown my head off the first time It came online.They show about 1 episode every 3 hours!!! Its like heaven

I don't like Black and White because I enjoy watching things in color. For graphical work I sometimes employ subtle uses of Black and White but fill it in with color to achieve an antithesis of ideas making it stronger. For TV though color isn't as rich as black and white as they say. To some extent I am fine with the colors my old regular TV displays and much more happier with my LCD. Its not that black and white doesn't appeal but that it doesn't display every detail those things that make you go "oh" or "yea" and the ideas that help you to understand. Color when employed properly gives a much better display than a picture in black and white. Black and White selectively used is for a general still purpose over the moving of colors, allows for more variety, and makes it seem in reality.