xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
electron

Create Your Own Smilies.

Ever wanted to create your own smilies!

Posted ImagePosted Image

This is the tool palette. I've highlighted the tools that you will be using for this tutorial. I've provided this as a reference to guide you as you progress through the tutorial.

Posted Image

1) Create a new document with the dimensions 15x15 and a transparent background.

2) Press the D key. This will reset your background and foreground colors to black and white.

3) Zoom in by either pressing CTRL + + or: Edit >> Zoom In, until you're at 1600%.

4) Use your pencil tool to draw the following:

Posted Image

5) Use your Polygonal Lasso Tool to make the following selection inside of your circle.

Posted Image

6) Pick a background color. I used yellow (#FFFF00). Set the foreground color to white.

7) Go to the gradient tool. Set the option to radial gradient as shown below:

Posted Image

8) With your gradient tool, drag inside of the selection from the center to the edge. Press CTRL + D to deselect.

Posted Image

9) Press the D key to set the background and foreground colors back to black and white.

10) Create a new layer: Layer >> New >> Layer. Hit OK. Use your pencil tool to draw the following:

Posted Image

11) See if you can draw the faces for the following smilies:

Posted ImagePosted Image

verry nice, its a first ive seen here meaning it is an unusual tutorial but good! i will try this out later and see how bad good, i am at doing this drawing stuff although i dont think i will do too well :) thanx for posting it and keep up the goood work!

Thanks, nice one, pretty easy for me, but it's a different and good tutorial because it is usefull for those that prefer to do them selfs the smilies for their forums insted of downloading from websites for that purpose.Perhaps you could show us how to create animated smilies (flash or gif) since those are the most wanted right now, and i'm not even asking for smilies with voice messages wich are also among the most wanted smilies for web applications.

Edited by Lyon2 (see edit history)

great buddy.....very nice . Its been a great help to me . I always wondered how these are mady. Thank u again and keep up the good work..hey buddy great stuff. I liked the way u simply tought us. I always wondered about how to build these. but u did it very easyly. keep up ur good work buddy....hope to hear from u soon. bye..

I made these ones here

Just to let you know that link brings a php error. As for the tutorial, very nice job. I have always wanted to make em but wasn't quite sure how. I might have to try it when i get a chance to see waht kind of emoticon I can make. :) Thanks

Thats a very nice tutorial, a little hard to understand for me considering I only have access to Adobe Photoshop 5.0 LE but its still nice non-the-less. :)

thanks dude thats a really cool tut and its worked i made a whole load of smiles in millions of diffrent colours ha i cant be botherd to post any of them because there is so many, ha, lol any ways very nice tut and it really works, you get:5 stars out of 5 stars for ease and brilliance, seriously thought that is really a good tut and i look foward to your next tut on what ever it is, thanks dude it totally rocks and keep up the very good work!!!

I followed this tutorialCreate Your Own Smilies.

Hi, I tried to follow this tutorial,but I only have MSPaint on my PC, so I did not no how to use all the tools. I think I made easier way for me. What do you think? I made the two smileys you said to make. I did with banana

Posted Image 

-reply by Lemon

Wow this is quite amazing. Pixel work always fascinated me. I think they use the same way to do those avatar and items in avatar based online games. Really awesome. Thanks for sharing mate!