xisto Community
amit nigam

Robots : Our Future Or Our End

ROBOTS : Our Future Or Our End  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

when you think about the way bad programming breaks computers today (hello mr gates, you suck) you can only assume that in the future when robots do more and more for us that something like a computer virus could turn "good" robots into killing machines, robots could take over things like the police force (ala robocop) and the army, then having a virus, hacking attempt, anything like that could put us into a terminator style world.further to that if we ever create true artificial intelligence it could very easily see us as a threat to the planet or to the AI itself and decide to get rid of us all. I don't anticipate seeing any of these things happen within our lifetimes but are certainly issues our kids, or thier kids may face.

Terminal, you're thinking too much about science fiction. Robots are limited to their programming, and since programming all possible instances of good or evil would be virtually impossible, the robot would have to be taught using a learning program, in which case a robot could become "good" or "evil" just like any human, depending on what it sees and is told from the enviroment that surrounds it. Conscience isn't a God-given thing, it is merely the whisper of instinct, which is built as a child, so essentially most all of what our personalities consist of are nothing more than a reflection of what we have experienced.

Amit:But what I am saying, is that a robot will never have the capability to ever become what you are saying. Basically you are saying that if a robot has the parts, and a virtual brain, it has the chance to do harm. What I am saying is that it can't because it doesn't know what is wrong. It may do harm, but it will not be intentional. I believe that we are either good or evil. Programmed with both, but with one ruling over the other. Robots don't have that. So if they hurt someone, they don't have a chemical that say, "Oh no, what have I done, I am so sorry". Instead, it will be, I hurt someone. What has it realized? That is has done something, but it will need an emotion to act upon that information.Now we have a few options here. the programers could put in the "brain" of this thing the emtions of anger, hate, love, kidness, and contempt. Not we will need to do something with these emotions. You will need an action for each emtion, under certain curcumstances. It gives something to someone, the person if hapy and the robot logs this in the memory as good. It will what? Want to repeat this. Now it hurts someone, it logs it as bad and dpoesn't want to do it again. Buit how do we know that? Because it will be prgrammed to not do that again. Unless the program re-wrote intself with a program with a virus so that prepreogrammed actions of evil were to be repeated, the person who made the program would have to do something to make a response, it cannot formulate one on it's own.

I agree that robots can and will pose a threat to us eventually. One of mankind?s goal is to create artificial intelligence, right now, it is limited to bits of code that have a prearranged outcome depending on the input, which is not unlike the human mind except that we have the ability to distinguish which choice is the better one. Since the robots like in many plots see that humans are by nature evil and aggressive, they would obviously see themselves as superior to us and, ?for our own good?, bring the human race under robot control. While we build robots for regular tasks now, future robots will be used to fight wars so that humans would not be endangered. If we are able to create the ultimate fighting machine, what?s to stop it? Human beings are prone to error, and that fact is our downfall. One faulty letter or line of code can turn our greatest ally into our greatest enemy.

Robots..... Wow what a great idea. But yet can they do us good or harm us? The 3 laws? Who needs them. A robot is a machine. It does what it is told to do. It has no soul, therefore having no way of thinkign to determine if what it is doing is right or wrong. It does what it itold to do, plain and simple. Killing machines? Sure they are a possibility, but once again, no machine can move faster than a human can think. Hollywood has always made thigns to be worse than they actually are. That's why it's called entertainment and not reality.

The robots that will be made in the future and that can be useful to us some day will be programmed in such a way that from the programming they can logically find a way to perform a task that is not given explicitly in the program.simple machines that follow the program written are a reality even today and then if these machines are called robots , then i will have to say that my dear friend the medium through which we are interfacing ,that is the computer will be called a robot.this is the basic difference between a robot and today's computerised machines that a robot will not obey certain explicitly given orders but will be able to deduce logically from the program that what should be done to finish a given task.

Heres sopme stuff that might interest you Robots have been available for a long time and their use has been varied, for example: * Protecting human life by o handling hazardous materials or o relieving situations where people are at risk from repetitive strain o by carrying out operations in tight enclosed environments * Increased production options o increasing operational accuracy o 24 hour operation o lower down-time Robots are not always used in intensive manufacturing environments but also to protect and supplement an existing process and workforce. Typical costs of using a robot can be hard to find due to the unique applications of each user, however, examples of where robots can cost as little as 1.6 Euros per hour are regularly achieved. While employing a measure of new technology, many such robots are envisioned merely as new interfaces - more user-friendly means of combining existing ways of accessing the internet or reaching loved ones through mobile phone networks.In the quest for artificial intelligence, the United States is perhaps just as advanced as Japan. But the focus in the US has been largely on military applications. By contrast, the Japanese Government, academic institutions and corporations are investing billions of dollars on consumer robots aimed at altering everyday life, leading to an earlier dawn of what many in Japan call the "age of the robot".But the robotic rush in Japan is also being driven by unique societal needs. Confronting a major depopulation problem due to a record low birthrate and its status as the nation with the longest lifespan on Earth, Japanese are fretting about who will staff the factory floors of the world's second-largest economy in the years ahead. Toyota, Japan's biggest car maker, has come up with one answer in moving to create a line of worker robots with human-like hands able to perform multiple sophisticated tasks.With Japanese youth shying from so-called 3-K jobs - referring to the Japanese words for labor that is dirty, dangerous or physically taxing - Alsok, the nation's second-largest security guard company, has developed a line of robo-cops.The guard robots, one version of which is being used by a client in southern Japan, can detect and thwart intruders using sensors and paint guns. They can also put out fires and spot water leaks.It is perhaps no surprise that robots would find their first major foothold in Japan. Japanese dolls and toys, including a moving crab using clockwork technology dating to the 1800s, are considered by some to be among the first robots.Rather than the monstrous Terminators of American movies, robots here are instead seen as gentle, even idealistic creatures epitomised by Astroboy, the 1960s Japanese cartoon about an electronic kid with a big heart.

Very nicely put. I enjoy reading about them. I just wish I had the knowledge to build one. I mean really, It would so cool to have a robot. Not for meaningless tasks, but to talk to or to play pool with. That would just be cool. But then I have to think that I need to get out more and get some real freinds :) and maybe, dare I say it, a girlfreind :)

i think that as long as machines don't grasp our ability to be unrational, we're pretty safe.because it gives an edge if they go agaisnt us. we can always predict they movement but they can't so...computers and machines are needed, but they can someday turn against us. it's a possibility, but we can counter it with our abilities. For example a machine cannot manage certain logical and illogical problems, so using them we can create much problem to them.i don't fear them at all lolcheers

Two Things,

1. Robots ARE a part of our daily lives,

A. Robosaur, a robotic toy invented that thousands play with daily

B. Cars, Cars are made by robots that implant delicate features

C.Computers, Computers are robots, a robot is a non-organic device that is designed to accomplish somthing. With Commands, computers in all shapes and sizes, for millions of reasons.

2. Robots CANNOT turn against us, and thats for a simple answer

Artifical Intelligence

Although its around, Computers are designed in a way where any Human can over-power its control. Meaning they cannot be unstopable, when people can be in hong-kong, and be able to cause a robot in the USA to self destruct

I do believe that some day robots may become so advance and so capable of complex thought they maybe just as capable of evil and good actions, just like any normal human is capable of. However, I'm not thinking we are going to have robots running around with ray guns out to destroy all of humanity. We may just have another race basically we will have to learn to deal with and co-exist with.

I do believe that some day robots may become so advance and so capable of complex thought they maybe just as capable of evil and good actions, just like any normal human is capable of. However, I'm not thinking we are going to have robots running around with ray guns out to destroy all of humanity. We may just have another race basically we will have to learn to deal with and co-exist with.

that however seems impossible, how a robot can create its own thought, and emotion, and action completely on its own

hmmm... i think robots will start taking important roles in our lives in about 10 years... not 20... technology is blasting away at the rate its goin now. robots are an interesting topic. its the the robots themselves but the ai operating them. how safe can we make a robbot which is able to communicate and interact with humans? they would have to be pretty smart and may learn things which could potentially harm us. either way, i'm sure there will be counter-measures for such occasions as they would producce robots if they were a threat to us. but this brings many other topics. will robots be used in place of terrorists? well wars be waged by artifical lifeforms? onl time will tell.

Hmm, sounds like you've been ready a few too many Isaac Asimov books. I really doubt that robots will ever be a serious danger. Of course there may be a couple of fatalities do to a rogue person doing serious modification of a robot or something, but the machines we have now cause deaths anyway. We're still in the beginning development of robots and such machines, so we will see what happens in the future. They will most likely be wired with rules and such (read that in an Asimov book..) to prevent injury.

I'm sure that, as silly as it may sound :rolleyes:, the government/companies would do something as stupid as release dangerous robots, who can easily kill. Plus, I doubt that they'd give them "feelings" and human functions.I'm also sure that they'll have a "destroy" function. Eg, a small EMP located in the robot-only, etc.