xisto Community
JdMxStyleZ

Are You Considered "fat"

actually jasper has mentioned this before, that BMI didn't consider the weight of a person that has more muscles than fat. muscles are more dense that fat (thus making fat people float on water than muscular people). so if you're the buffy person, then don't get thrown off if the BMI says that you're overweight. the doctor's advice would probably be more credible.with that said, i'm a little overweight with my height. but the last time i weighed myself was last year, so i really don't know how much difference i weigh right now. but since i don't feel different that the way i felt last year, then most probably i'm still overweight, although i'm still trying my best to go back to my normal weight because that's my goal before i graduate, or at least before i get a job.

The problem with the BMI is that bone and muscle weigh more than fat, and it doesn't take into account how much muscle you have. A study was done into the BMI and how long you live, and if you come as slightly overweight, you will live longer than someone who is "normal"I also read somewhere that the calculations in the BMI are slightly flawed somewhere, I think it is something to do with squaring something where it would have been better if it was cubed, so taller people are more likely to be overweight (Or underweight, I cannot remember)

I got 21, from my specs: 1.69m, 60kg. Yeah, Americans out there, you should use metrics :lol:. Hehe. AFAIK, It's the international standard, even used in academic matters.

Well my result shows that i am having a healthy weight with my Body Mass Index at 22.1. But this method is just a rough estimation of the weight in relation to your height. I agree it doesnt take into account your muscles. But if you are having a built up physique with all muscles around your hands , legs , torso then you need not worry about your weight and Body Mass Index. This is for those perons who are fat and obese.

I personally think its how you feel and if you are happy with yourself. We have to stop looking at the magazines and the abnormally skinny models, wishing we were them. Love yourself as you are, that is how you were made. I'm not perfect by any means, some people may call me fat, others may say i'm average, but i'm happy with the way i am and people must love me for me and not what i look like on the outside. As soon as you accept yourselves you will find that you will become alot happier with life and not trying to live up to other peoples expectations.

I personally think its how you feel and if you are happy with yourself. We have to stop looking at the magazines and the abnormally skinny models, wishing we were them. Love yourself as you are, that is how you were made. I'm not perfect by any means, some people may call me fat, others may say i'm average, but i'm happy with the way i am and people must love me for me and not what i look like on the outside. As soon as you accept yourselves you will find that you will become alot happier with life and not trying to live up to other peoples expectations.

Great post - now can you explain that to my wife? ^_^

I'm about 2st overweight, and if I even smell food I put on 7lbs.
She is literally half my weight and eats twice as much (no exaggeration) but never puts on an ounce.
It's just not fair! :lol:

Hmm, I don't have a problem with weight personally - I train a lot and conduct fitness classes.

But, I have an uncle who is pretty obese. But he's comfortable with it. As a matter of fact, he's so comfortable with it that when I think of him, the word 'fat' doesn't come to mind at all - rather, I'd think of the words charming, or witty, or helpful, or just plain happy. He has so many positive points that it's just impossible to think of him in a negative way.

And I don't think anyone's called my uncle fat, ever - I have the feeling everyone thinks of him as I do, as charming and humorous and helpful. So I think that if you're comfortable enough and happy enough with yourself, and just plain nice to people, pretty soon you'll have the people around you smiling and nodding and just plain liking you. Of course there are exceptions, there are always those; people who will be mean and rude - but if they can't see through to what a person is inside, it's really more their loss than anyone else's don't you think?

If you want to reduce a little extra weight, or have a health problem that requires weight reduction, go ahead and work at reducing it - but because it's what you want, or what you need, not because of what others think. And as for what other's might think of you - hey, I feel that it's what people really are inside that matters - their talents, humor, intellect, their caring, etc. The outside isn't important (well, at least to me).

Yup, a bit off topic, I know, but couldn't resist LOL - I'm just irritated that some people look at a person and say 'look, fat' sort of like passing judgement; :lol: it's rude, immature, nasty - it's just plain wrong.

6'4" and 146 pounds, 4th percentile. So no, I'm no where near fat.
I should gain some weight, only lower body and core would really help.

Hmm - for a person who wants to gain weight, I'd say follow these simple steps:
1) Take a look at your diet - check that you're not taking in more simple carbs and less protein.

2) Weight training is best for healthy weight gain - build muscle mass. Some of the best exercises for building mass are the bench press and shoulder press (for the upper body), and squats (for the legs, abdominals and lower back). I can post more detailed info on diet and exercise to increase pure muscle bulk, if you'd like.

Not fat!

Are You Considered "fat"

I'm a 27yr women at 5'5 150LBS & wear a size 8/10(US) BMI is 25 right on the line of being overweight. I do my no means conceder myself fat, I think I am just normal. So maybe I could lose 5-10lbs so that my BMI is in the normal ranges, but I am not going to make myself feel bad about it!

I am happy with myself and that�s all that really matter!

-reply by AlyCat