xisto Community
AlanDS

Friday The 13th myth or reality?

13: The Devil's Dozen

I thought 13 was a bakers dozen? :D

rofl...

Well, I don't really think there is anything mystically unlucky about the #13. It is just a number... and if we have anything to fear... I think it should be the number 23... lol....

Interesting things pointed out here... though I don't really believe the Friday the 13 = bad luck bit. I think that perhaps the accidents and stuff go up because people are already on edge from thinking it's an unlucky day, that they get into more accidents. Then when they happen, it's obviously blamed on the day it happened to fall on.This Friday the 13th wasn't unlucky for me. I was at the race track, enjoying my racing and camping, with my father, whose birthday just happened to be that day. So we were both doing what we liked the most and didn't have any kind of misfortune :D But thinking back, I don't recall any car #13s while we were there haha... I guess when you are racing that fast, it's better to be safe than sorry, because you just never know, right?

I'm very interested in this superstition. Personally I have never experienced anything bad on the date but I know some have, and I really think it's due to a combination of the following: false belief + self-sabotaging behavior = negative self-fulfilling prophecies.

In plain English:

The belief is given so much empowerment & validation that some are litterally compelled to make stupid mistakes, and set themselves up to fail at something. Then, of course, they blame it on the date, rather than just admit & accept that they are to blame and could have been more careful.

Its just a number, Bad things happen all the time, and they can and do happen on any day and date. There is no such thing as bad luck and good luck... It all happens by chance and if its going to happen it will regardless of the day and date!

It's the power of suggestion that does the scaring and is responsible for all the bad things happening. If you and all the peole around you believe in this, you will attract negative vibes or something like that. We must not underestimate the power of the mind. I you set your mind to it, it will surely happen, like if you anticipate to get unlucky because it is a friday and the calendar says it's the 13th day of the month, you're most likely to notice the bad things only taking other nice things for granted.

What I heard was that its related to the slayings that happened some time in the early centuries of human history.The theory is that some people had copies of the original bible and were about to publish them before the church decided to clamp down on them and take the copies. A bloody battle and torture followed and eversince friday 13th has been associated with horror themes.This is of course just one theory, i didn't come up with it by the way :)

JAJAJAJAJAJAJa....

Friday the 13th is a myth linked with all those movies that exposed to Fredie and Jason and Chucky....

But now there is not a good evidence about this is true. But maybe in all this discussion some real things are involucrated.

For example in my country there are some people who says that marry in a Tuesday is pretty bad to the future marriage. In the staticts says that maybe 80% of marriages who make their ceremony a Tuesday end in a divorce or a tradegy. this is real there is no myth. Because of that there is a popular consideration which pass generation by generation: "Tuesday, Never marry and never take a boat".

The boat thing is not true but the thing with the marriages is real. See to believe....

Bye.

JAJAJAJAJAJAJa....

Friday the 13th is a myth linked with all those movies that exposed to Fredie and Jason and Chucky....

But now there is not a good evidence about this is true. But maybe in all this discussion some real things are involucrated.

For example in my country there are some people who says that marry in a Tuesday is pretty bad to the future marriage. In the staticts says that maybe 80% of marriages who make their ceremony a Tuesday end in a divorce or a tradegy. this is real there is no myth. Because of that there is a popular consideration which pass generation by generation: "Tuesday, Never marry and never take a boat".

The boat thing is not true but the thing with the marriages is real. See to believe....

Bye.

I agree that it is just a myth. My birthday falls on Friday the 13th quite often; I've never experienced anything out of the ordinary, scary, etc.

I really never understood things claiming one number is bad while another is good or anything -- it's a number. In this case it's a day and a number, but Friday is nothing but the day that falls in between Thursday and Saturday. 13 is just a number between 12 and 14. There is nothing negative about it.

Like many other people here, I believe that nothing depends upon a number or a specific day.Some days do have religious importance, like Friday for Muslims and Sunday for Christians, but that does not mean it affects luck.According to my knowledge, good luck can be defined as the probability of a good thing happening to someone. And bad luck as the probability of a bad thing happening. Calculating this probability is impossible since the happening or non-happening of an event does not depend on anything but Nature.Hence, in my opinion, Friday, the 13th being a bad luck day is not true.