xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy

Help With Cpanel / Ftp For First Time Please!

Hi guys and gals...

I just set up the hosting account but can't log onto cpanel or ftp access - I just get http 404 error...
I checked the account set up and seems to be fine, with name servers directed to Xisto
Is there a period you have to wait before trying to access this, or am I trying to do something wrong:

Im attempting to log into http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Edited by Jimmy (see edit history)

your set up should be instant the only thing I can say is that your password is wrong in some way. But hte admin should be able to help you out if its a password issue.

Unfortunately I can't get far enough to enter the password. The only thing I can think of is i might be trying to access cpanel login at the wrong place???how should I be trying to access this?

EDIT: FTP works fine from this end. I get an Unable To Setup Secure Anonymous FTP Error but that's just because I don't have the password.

Have you checked firewalls and stuff? Usually they wouldn't give 404 errors but you never know....

When I try to access your cPanel link it works perfectly, and presents me with a box asking me to enter a username and password. With the FTP address I am slightly confused that it ends .co.uk.com ? Surely it's either .co.uk or .com? Taking the .com off the end allowed me to get a default cPanel page, so that link works as well. So, that is probably the problem with the FTP account, use ftp.projectjim.co.uk instead. With the cPanel link, the only thing I can think of is that there is sometimes a certificate you have to accept if you use Opera or FireFox to browse, and especially if you have firewall software such as Norton. Make sure you accept any certificates if they are from Trap 17, normally labelled as the Gamma Server. Also, allow Trap 17 and your domain in your firewall software (if you have any) and see if that helps.

Intriguing... what address did you visit to get cpanel login to show... no matter how much I try and play around with everything I can't get to itThe test worked fine - success!I removed port 80 from firewall blocker, but that didn't do anything...there are also no blocked Xisto things in Norton internet securityif cpanel works from ur end then I must be doing something wrong... where did u go to get it workingthx

Edited by Jimmy (see edit history)

You may have to wait a maximum of 24-72 hours for the DNS record (aka your domain) to propogate around the net. For my domain it took a few hours. Results vary.(Side effects may include broken keyboards, smashed monitors and crashed hard drives :angry: ).Try it again tomorrow. It should work by then if what I'm suggesting is the problem.

Edited by michaelper22 (see edit history)

You may have to ait a maximum of 24-72 hours for the DNS record (aka your domain) to propogate around the net. For my domain it took a few hours.

That's exactly what I was going to recommend. Other people may be able to access it before you because their DNS update first. If you really don't want to wait the day or two to have it propegate you can do one of two things. 1) Find out the IP address of your server, and connect using that instead of the domain name. 2) Go into your operating system and set one of your default nameservers to be ns1.trap17.com or ns2.trap17.com. However, if you have patience, I'd suggest just waiting it out.

Ah thx very much for this... during the time these answers rolled in, I found that server ip address and logged in fine...hopefully the normal one will be around soon enough :angry:

TThe procedure that WindandWater refers to can be found in the Xisto Readme file. The link is here : http://forums.xisto.com/topic/24588-for-those-who-cannot-wait-for-dns-propagation-dns-propagation-takes-time/. It sets your Host file to point to the nameserver independent of the propagation for the domain name you have selected. Try it and let us know if it works.