xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Poppy Lou

Footballers' Pay

I have a real problem with the level of pay footballers' receive in view of the "job" they do. I know it's not only a matter of a few lads kicking a ball about, I realise they have to do a lot of training and there must be a lot of pressure on them both time wise and for always being in the public eye. But I ask myself, why so much money?What about firefighters for instance? They have to do a lot of training, are under pressure all the time, are always in the public eye and risk their lives every day of their working week. And yet what do they receive? A pittance!!! It Is immoral.And then there's the way some footballers behave on the pitch. In any other circumstance they would be jailed for their aggressive attacks on other players - and sometimes spectators. No jail for them, just loads of cash!It's about time a complete overhaul of our country's pay system took place. Divide the money out fairly, let footballers and other similarly highly paid individuals have less and up the wages of those people who we are totally dependent on to live safe and secure lives.Well that's my opinion anyway.

C'est la vie! And until people hate football it was always be that way. On the other hand though, they are the best and I think you're vent ignores their talent. Not everyone can be the best in the country and it's that way with all jobs. The best get the best.It would be hard to split the money equally. Arsenal aren't going to let Barclays sponsor them if all the sponsorship money goes to the RSPCA and the RSPB.

I have a real problem with the level of pay footballers' receive in view of the "job" they do. I know it's not only a matter of a few lads kicking a ball about, I realise they have to do a lot of training and there must be a lot of pressure on them both time wise and for always being in the public eye. But I ask myself, why so much money?What about firefighters for instance? They have to do a lot of training, are under pressure all the time, are always in the public eye and risk their lives every day of their working week. And yet what do they receive? A pittance!!! It Is immoral.
And then there's the way some footballers behave on the pitch. In any other circumstance they would be jailed for their aggressive attacks on other players - and sometimes spectators. No jail for them, just loads of cash!
It's about time a complete overhaul of our country's pay system took place. Divide the money out fairly, let footballers and other similarly highly paid individuals have less and up the wages of those people who we are totally dependent on to live safe and secure lives.
Well that's my opinion anyway.

Overhauling like communism to me. The reason footballers get paid so much, is becuase their employers (football clubs) are willing to pay that much for them, and can afford to pay that much, whereas the employers of firefighters simply cannot. Professional footballers don't deserve the vast amounts of money they get for the 'job' that they do, but if their clubs want to pay them that much, so be it.

The Canadian Football League and the National Hockey League have wage caps (ceilings) in effect for the same reason. Players were 'over-priced' and the Clubs were losing money, in spite of the lucrative TV deals, so the wage ceiling was imposed. And doesn't Pro Basketball have the same thing? Expect to see them some time soon in a Sports Arena near you.

Hmmm it is kinda hypocrite that some sportsmen earn more money then people who put their life on the line for others. Soccer for instance is really good paid here in Europe, a Barcelona forward earns more then I make in a whole year, over $120.000 a month, only to put a ball inside a net. Ok they do have talent and some can get injured for life, but a fireman can die on his job, while saving others. In my opinion, big $$$ ruins sport, because it's all about the money. Sport is loosing it's glance that way.

I truly do think they are paid too much as well. Sure they are good players and talented, and sure they entertain millions, but we don't neeed them in our lives. Farmers don't make much at all and they supply us with food. If I were a baseball player, which I have dreamed of being many times, I would play just for the fun of it. I wouldn't care if I get paid a lot or not. You see the sports players might be talented at what they do, but whatever job you are at you are talented at what you do, that is why you do it. I think people just let the money get to their head and become greedy. Why would people beg for an extra million dollars a year when they already have 15 million. They already are living big.

Let me make it clear that I don't ignore their talent, I just want everyone else's talent to be appreciated in the same way.Maybe " overhauling " does sound like communism but that wasn't my intention. I was only making the point that there should be a realistic pay system rather than the one we already have. Of course there are always going to be jobs that pay higher than others, but kicking a ball about versus saving lives or providing basic needs such as food - well come on!

Well, say you're the best, most talented firefighter (I guess it's possible..) - your pay still isn't going to match up with footballers. Sure, you could get promoted to HQ and get some sort of bureaucratic desk job, but I mean it's still only going to end up as a marginal difference as opposed to the footballers annual wage.Many Hollywood actors or pop musicians earn more than their worth also. Once again, sure they may be talented (though these days not always the best of their field, rather just the best looking), and their weekly salary can end up immensely more than most people's annual salary.

Professional athletes are paid more for 1 reason. People PAY to see them. If you think they make too much money, don't buy anything sports related ever again. You're little baseball caps, sports-team t-shirts, etc.. all of that goes to those players. In all honesty, if firefighters were more entertaining and had a job worth publicising, they'd make more. But the thing about most firefighters.. they aren't in it for the money anyway =)