xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
serverph

Hackers Get Mac Running Windows and Apple thought it cant be done...

Hackers get Mac running Windows... and Apple thought it can't be done! :(

a bounty of $13,854 (�7,895) was "what broke the camel's back", so to speak. :( twas a "profitable" motivation enough for two "hackers" to do the "seemingly impossible" task. now, the word "hacker" may raise red flags all around, and some who are brainwashed by media's definition of the word (#4 below) may bring some frowns on their faces. but i'd like to point out that the "hacker" by webster definition in this case is #3:

hacker
Pronunciation: 'ha-k&r
Function: noun
1 : one that hacks
2 : a person who is inexperienced or unskilled at a particular activity <a tennis hacker>
3 : an expert at programming and solving problems with a computer
4 : a person who illegally gains access to and sometimes tampers with information in a computer system

the "hack" involved (which is an "open source project") is a legal download provided by the authors, but it won't do any good if you don't have a legal Windows XP SP2 (which is required to test it out of course). :( caveat again: a premade installation CD of Windows XP SP2 is not legal..

anyway, after dealing with that legalese stuff, your thoughts. i want to know if you are willing to try it, what uses would it benefit you, etc. :( unfortunately, i can't test it out, since i don't own a mac. but i'm sure some of you here do.

I don't have a Mac either, but if I did, I wouldn't run Windows on it. What's the point of getting a Mac, and then putting Windows on it, you might as well get an IBM compatible and install Windows on it in the first place. Windows for Mac is just a way for Micro$oft to try to get their programs on every computer out there. (And get the money from it.) I'm using Win XP for now, but one of these days somebody is going to come up with a Linux version that will run all the Windows games and programs, then I'm switching to Linux. :(If you don't want your Mac running Windows to get hacked, don't run Windows, use OSX, it's as simple as that.

...I'm using Win XP for now, but one of these days somebody is going to come up with a Linux version that will run all the Windows games and programs, then I'm switching to Linux. :)

i think there's WINE for that. :P not all windows games and programs may run as you require, but then again, there are windows apps also that don't run entirely on all windows versions, i.e. they are version-dependent (for win2k/xp only, etc).

caveat again: a premade installation CD of Windows XP SP2 is not legal.

It's not premade. If you buy the Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD (legal) you have the right to do anything with it, even copying it as long as you don't install Windows on other computers on the same time. And besides I'm sure that more then 70% of us haven't got a "legal" copy of Windows XP. I wouldn't give more then 100$ to a operating system that is full of bugs. I only use windows because there is nothing (yet) to turn to.
Windows on Mac... the news made quite a stir on a computer related sites. Well the guys that "hacked" (I'll use the word even if I don't approve it) are really good programmers, But it really doesn't help me a bit. I don't have a Mac and I don't intend to buy one in 10 years so... Still good to know there are still people that can challenge the big companies

It's not premade. If you buy the Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD (legal) you have the right to do anything with it, even copying it as long as you don't install Windows on other computers on the same time. And besides I'm sure that more then 70% of us haven't got a "legal" copy of Windows XP. I wouldn't give more then 100$ to a operating system that is full of bugs. I only use windows because there is nothing (yet) to turn to.

i'm talking about those *premade* or *all-in-one* thingies floating around the information superhighway. and that one is NOT legal. :)

UPDATE: A MacBreak Special: Leo Laporte rushes a demo of the XP running on an Intel Mac Mini. Video download (Direct .mov link & iTunes) available. :P

i'm talking about those *premade* or *all-in-one* thingies floating around the information superhighway. and that one is NOT legal. smile.gif

I don't know if you're right about that. Imean you can get a copy of Windows XP from torrent, but as long as you have a license for it Microsoft won't really care. Activation is made only to prevent people from sharing the same CD-Key, so they don't care if your Windows is premade or downloaded from Piratebay.

I don't know if you're right about that. Imean you can get a copy of Windows XP from torrent, but as long as you have a license for it Microsoft won't really care. Activation is made only to prevent people from sharing the same CD-Key, so they don't care if your Windows is premade or downloaded from Piratebay.

you can get windows xp from torrent, yes. but why is it there in the first place? because it's warez stuff. and warez are warez. and illegal. well, you can do whatever you want anyway. i'm just giving users a caveat, a cautionary warning. :)

Since the new iMacs have the Intel chip, it's been stated that it IS possible to run Windows on a Mac, but then again why would anyone want to ditch Mac OS X for Windows?

I'm using Win XP for now, but one of these days somebody is going to come up with a Linux version that will run all the Windows games and programs, then I'm switching to Linux. :)

Whether or not a program works on an operating system depends on the system on which it was compiled. All you would need to do to get a Windows-dependent program to run on Linux is to get the source (easier said than done, since so few Windows-only things are open source) and then compile it on a Linux machine.

If you don't want your Mac running Windows to get hacked, don't run Windows, use OSX, it's as simple as that.

I think you may have misunderstood the definition for "hackers" being used. It's not that they hacked a Mac that was running Windows, it's that they changed the Windows code so that it could be run on a Mac.

Well that's pretty interesting. I also think there is no point in buying a Mac computer and put windows on it unless you want both. I guess if you prefer Mac computers but like Windows then that will be pretty cool. I think they should just take the best programs from each, combine them together, and make one piece of software that can be used on any type of computer, but who would want to do that? lol

The real question is not "can we run windows on a MAC"... Who really cares because, like someone already said, why pay for a mac and run windows on it?The real question is, can we now run OSX on a PC without any emulation since OSX is now written for Intel processors. This is the REAL implication of putting intel chips in a mac. If mac can run windows and pc can run osx, then the implication is that MAc is nothing more than a pc.There are already "hackers" that are working on getting OSX to run on a pc.

I agree wth most of the replies here, what's the point of installing Window$ on a Mac, when it's easier (and possibly more economical, but defenitely more reliable) to just buy a box with Windows on it already? If I wanted to use Mac OS X and Window$ XP, I would put in the money (if I had any :) ) for both platforms on seperate machines.

The real question is, can we now run OSX on a PC without any emulation since OSX is now written for Intel processors. This is the REAL implication of putting intel chips in a mac.

I saw a thing on ZDNet UK about how they got an OS X for Pentium Beta working on a windows machine. Unfortunately, I don't have a link for you, but with some clever searching, you should be able to find it on that site.

Ok I hate macs. Windows and the Lunix series are the best that are around. Macs are easy for little kids and older people that can't use a PC. Windows has more options and things that can run on it and more user customizable. Macs are like easy and just are for "play around" business life is good stuff. And the iBooks we got last year crashed so easy and stuff. Windows PC's and Unix (Lunix) are the serious no kidding lets get to work type of PC's. Here is a funny Mac video. When I find the link.