xisto Community
Mortanis

Odd Phobias

Wow, so many phobias! I'd hate to be around someone with Sinistrophobia (fear of objects on the left side of body/left-handed), since I'm left handed...One thing that I find funny about one phobia, is the fear of long words. It's called Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia. Someone with that phobia would be afraid of the name, itself. I'd hate to have some of those phobias that I saw on the list at phobialist.com. I wouldn't be able to deal with most of them. To me, some of those just don't seem like they'd be possible, but I guess they could be...

I think a lot of them are made using latin or greek terms... Hex is something for six.

Latin for six is (don't laugh, if you do, you're immature) sex.

one = unus
two = duos
three = tres
four = quattor
five = quinque
six = sex
seven = septem
eight = octo
nine = novem
ten = decem

So, yeah, a Latin scholar you are.

Actually, just found out Hex is greek :( So I was right.

EDIT: damn, I just noticed all the posts above me... I was responding to the guy who said I wasn't a latin scholar...
Edited by Mortanis (see edit history)

one = unus
two = duos
three = tres
four = quattor
five = quinque
six = sex
seven = septem
eight = octo
nine = novem
ten = decem

jk

lkklllllllllllllllllllllllll

Ephebiphobia ? Fear/dislike of teenagers < that's funny lol! I know there are lots of weird phobias but I'm quite lucky because I know some Greek and I understand the names. Like phobia means fear or whatever.

That sounds a bit scary... I mean, being scared of a teenager... Oooh... Tell me more, I mean write a few more down... I'm a bit insane aren't I? Is there a fear for that?

Whoa, I wonder what coulrophobians think about insane clown posse. Lol.Those Phobias are pretty hard words to pronounce, I myself think that I would have emetophobia since I dislike vomiting so much. I dislike it so much that whenever I am partying I try not to drink to much because whenever I get a hangover I usually throw up and feel like crap the whole next day.

Yep, indeed most of medical conditions are named using latin or greek words. i believe when it comes to numbers - greek names are used, as far as I remember my chemistry classes :)and to contribut to phobias list, there are some some:Agoropbobia - fear of open spacesArachnophobia - fear of spiders (as Arachnids are all spiders and similar creatures)

and to add to my last post, there are some more weird phobias:

Arachibutyrophobia - fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth. (as arachi should mean peanuts, butyr probably means butter and and phobia :)

automatonophobia - fear of ventriloquist's dummies and wax statues (as auto means self as in autoportret nad the rest is up to you guys)

caligynephobia - fear of beautiful women. Should be a tradegy for any man

peladophobia - fear of bold people (intresting, when one with this phobia gets bold, is he afraid of himself?)

hippopotomonstosesquippedaliophobia - fear of long words. Thanks goodnes one can find out about his condition without freaking out :P

one = unus
two = duos
three = tres
four = quattor
five = quinque
six = sex
seven = septem
eight = octo
nine = novem
ten = decem

I found the whole thread interesting but I wanted to mention that in german six is sechs which is very close to pronounced like sex. There is a slight difference in the annunciation.

There is another phobia for fear of being touch. Anchraphobic or something. Not all people with phobias have them all the time either. Most of the time I am a very touchy feely type of person. But occationally I really don't like to be touched. It bothers me to the point of neurotic. It is not all the time thank goodness. Its just sometime. I have no idea why I get that way sometimes. Its just one of those crazy things that make me unique. LOL

Pyrophobia – A fear of fire. This is the phobia that I possess. I sometimes go sleep fearing the house will catch on fire in the middle of the night, but like unicornrose said “Not all people with phobias have them all the time either” So most of the time I am fine.I am actually more afraid of small fires like candles. I cannot stand being around candles.

Wow, so many phobias! I'd hate to be around someone with Sinistrophobia (fear of objects on the left side of body/left-handed), since I'm left handed...One thing that I find funny about one phobia, is the fear of long words. It's called Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia. Someone with that phobia would be afraid of the name, itself. I'd hate to have some of those phobias that I saw on the list at phobialist.com.

im afraid of clowns(just the scary ones), bees, dying in a very stupid manner like gunshot or car accident, and giant red squid. im not sure where the clown thing came ffrom but i am allergic to bees. im definately not afraid to die. i am a big wave surfer and will challenge any wave anywhere but to be shot in a drive by or killed in a car accident freaks me out. its such sad way to go. some people might think dying in a wave is stupid but it's my passion so i cant complain. my parents didnt like it too muh but they got over it. the red squid thing... just watch the discovery channel when they search for these 300 foot long giant red squid at night. these things have beaks as big as your hands and they wrap up thier prey and squeeze them to death. look up pictures on google or something. im sure i will never encounter one but i'd rather see a shark then one of those suckers!

Phobia of odd numbers anyone?

Odd Phobias

Hi guys,

I'm a film and tv student from swinburne university( Aus), making a short documentary about

Bizarre phobias, I am quite interested in the phobia of odd numbers. If anyone out there has this phobia, or knows of anyone that does, I'd love to hear about it. If you can give me a bit of information about the phobia, how it effects your daily life, or any interesting stories where the phobia has effected you or someone you know, send me an e-mail at jblawton a.t hotmail.Com

Much appreciated,

Jess

-question by JESS

I have a slight fear of odd numbers

Odd Phobias

Replying to Trap FeedBacker

Just replying back, I have always disliked odd numbers, but I work with numbers much more now... I work in a hotel. I don't like typing in or writing down odd numbers I tend to almost always round something up so that it can be an even number. I wouldn't say I have am an extreme case, but its like I don't feel right if the number is odd and always find a way of making it even. Most of the time I will put guests coming into the hotel in all the even numbered rooms first, and when authorizing credit cards I ALWAYS round up to the nearest even number. And when I see someone else who authorized with odd numbers just looking at it makes me nervous, I just feel like its not complete for some reason. I really feel weird even saying all this, but its progressively gotten worse through the last year or two.

-reply by Angela