xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dymonz

Ps3 Delayed A Year?

PlayStation 3 may be delayed a year

By Reuters
Published: February 19, 2006, 5:25 PM PST

Sony's next-generation PlayStation 3 video game console might not appear in key markets this year and could cost the company $900 per unit to produce initially, according to Merrill Lynch analysts quoted in the Financial Times on Sunday.
Sony has indicated a spring launch for its console in Japan and the industry is not expecting a North American launch until November, the FT said.

But Hitoshi Kuriyama of Merrill Lynch in Japan said there are reports that the PS3 could be delayed by between six and 12 months, meaning an autumn launch in Japan and a late 2006 or early 2007 launch in the United States, the FT said.

Merrill Lynch analysts in San Francisco have estimated that the initial bill of materials for PS3 could approach $900, falling to $320 by three years after launch, the FT said.

The implications are that Sony could have to take a substantial loss on the PS3 through subsidies or risk low sales at the higher price and hand the advantage to Microsoft to be first to market with its Xbox 360 next-generation console, the FT said.

Sony is likely to reveal more on its plans for the console at the Game Developers Conference in San Jose, Calif., in March and the E3 video games show in Los Angeles in May, the FT said.

Story Copyright Š 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.

Notice from electriic ink:
Do not copy and paste from other source without quote tags. Found here. Quotes added

Edited by electriic ink (see edit history)

This is definately not good news for Sony. By the time Sony is able to get the console out, microsoft xbox 360 will have already been out for 1 year. In that year xbox 360 will have a substantial library of games and the price of manufacturing will have come down a lot... meaning by next christmas, I would expect xbox 360 will have more games AND a price drop timed to the release of the PS3. Sony will either take huge losses on the first few systems or sell at a higher price. The higher price will mean fewer units sold.Sony should really not even bother releasing PS3 if it is going to be delayed another 6 - 12 months. If I were them, I would leap frog xbox 360. Come out with a far superior console that will justify a higher price. Skip this generation console. If that isn't possible, the next best move is to work with game developers in the coming year and produce some kick **bottom** games. Make more games for the release and some games that will be a "must buy".Sony is in serious *BLEEP*...

It is frustrating I wanted to buy it too. But I am sure they found alot of problems with them, so I would guess they're going to make very sure they don't have any problems when they are released. I wouldn't want a bad system and have to try and return it but get no refund from them. So I would say yes it's frustrating that we'll have to wait a couple months longer. But it's better than buying a bad system and wasting good money on a piece of junk. :lol: They're always debuging something and I bet they found alot of bugs that need to be taken care of. And when they're all taken care of then they'll release them. But I will wait at least a year or so until their prices go down before I go out and buy one. Then they should be completely bug free and should be able to get myself a system at a reasonable price.

umm...well,it is sure that bad news for sony entertainment market IMO.it is said that ps3 is very powerful than previous product.xbox 360 is really powerful as well,so only ps2 left to be against xbox is not a good idea for sony.however, then the falling price is a good news to players :lol:

It may be more expensive than Xbox360 but it also has different specs and stuff. If they are gonna have it come out they better make it now becuase people will own an Xbox360 when it comes out and figure oh I don't need PS3 if I got Xbox. As stated before all of the games for Xbox360 will be out already too. Sony would make more money having it come out now than later. It will be old news before it is even released.

$900 thats the current price Heck I would wait a couple of more years to lower the price tag hopefully they can exchange some parts that are still efective but cost less, but yeah only the desperate would pay 900 for it.

I just did a Google.com search to find out what the new Playstation 3 will look like and wow it looks to be very impressive. Looks like the controller will be a wireless controller and it certainly looks different. Here's a direct link that talks about it.

I think it looks pretty darn impressive looking. :)

well if you got the E3 pics or went and saw it or even saw it on tv you would know how amazing the ps3 looks. And you can also confirm it hasnt been delayed a year becuase they annouced it november release if i heard correctly. I can only hope the ps3 is as good as it looks. But as the look of it goes i say good job Sony!