xisto Community
Dymonz

Are Rpg's For Mature Players Or Kids

RPG's are for all ages, but, MMORPG's should be for mature players. My son won't stop playing Everquest he's on it right after school and not doing his homework. When I tell him to do his homework he whines for hours i'm uninstalling everquest tomorrow...

Not quite sure what this topic is about...are you saying that teenagers complain about game characters being teenagers, or are you asking if just mature players should play RPGs, and not kids?

Oh, in that case, I do prefer playing with older players, because they know what they're doing, they're reliable, and they don't speak like idiots (no offense, but it's true. You should see the warcraft 3 channels lately)But I do think that kids should be able to play as well. I mean, if I were shunned from some of the games I was playing when I was 12 or so (everquest, starcraft, etc.) I would not have been too happy.

YOu asked quite a mind provoking question. The generation who used to grow up with consoles and computer games has now reached the age of having considerable finacial power. That's why the market of RPG has changed from the younger generation to the 20+ group. That's why there are more and more "mature" RPG games out there in the market. These older kids probably can spend more on computer games, but they are less likely to have as plenty of time as the younger kids. This creates a dilemma for the game creaters. The characters in those RPG games are often small, because the younger kids usually put more effort in playing the game. The older kids, once young, are used to that setting too.

I think age is not important for people that they will play RPG or not. I think that they love to play or not instead. For example, I play Final Fantasy Series since I'm kids because I like this type of games and now I still playing these, but I don't like sports game (eg. winning eleven) I played games for 10+ years but I never touch this type of game more than 1 hour.So... It's up to people that's love to play or not.

Both kids and older people play games and RPGs of course, the same. But you won?t see too many old people (I mean above 35) playing games because it?s something they haven?t grown with. It?s only logical. But for the rest I suppose that you play a game if you like it and you find it funny... if a game is oriented to mature people, with puzzles that a child mind possibly can not deal with, children will get bored of it. And if it?s too easy, some older people will find it very simple. But anyone can play them.

Both kids and older people play games and RPGs of course, the same. But you won?t see too many old people (I mean above 35) playing games because it?s something they haven?t grown with. It?s only logical. But for the rest I suppose that you play a game if you like it and you find it funny... if a game is oriented to mature people, with puzzles that a child mind possibly can not deal with, children will get bored of it. And if it?s too easy, some older people will find it very simple. But anyone can play them.

People who are 35 now are the ones who were playing Asteroids and Pac-man in arcades when they first came out...

I think it all depends... but you do need a certain maturity level to play some - for example games with more "complicated" english like Vagrant Story. Or games that are based on philosophies or ones that have you question meaning of life, existance etc. Eitherway, I do believe there are RPGs for all ages!EDITING: BTW, I'm 21 - so I'm considered to be an "older" gamer - but that doesn't stop me from playing ^^

Edited by Tsunade (see edit history)

Being a long time gamer, and watch the evolution of the gaming unfold behind my eyes, I would have to say the only thing that has really changed are the battle systems and the way a character looks. RPG's are some of the least violent games in the sense that you don't see blod spatter all over the place when your wizard electrocutes a monster or anything. It is more or less a dumb down of what real violence looks like in some games like Grand Theft Auto and Manhunt. However, that isn't the point of RPG's as it is all about the story and the characters them, but you try to voice on the battle then all your really doing is ruining the game.

Age doesnt matter in RPGs, but I have to agree unfortunately u will meet a number of immature people of all ages in RPGs, granted older people are more nice, but with few exceptions, and many kids are immature but with few exceptions. I'm sure that some may think it's the reverse of the statement that I've just posted. Playing mainly WoW of late, there has been the factions debate, raiding and pvp debates and so forth, esp with the "raiders are for adults" and "pvp is for kids" comments that flys around sometimes.

It all depends on the genre. Some RPGs only relate to older people as its probably more detailed and has more story, dialog to read which isnt something children these days is quite interested within. These type of RPGs are the old school RPGs. As for the new school RPGs its more based on action and possibly quicker movement of the story. So I guess you could still say RPGs are for both younger and older audience but it all depends on the user themselves. I'm a big fanatic of RPGs with well developed story lines and characters.