xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
TanisLinkEragon

Web Browser Coming To Nintendo Ds? We hope

At its DS Lite conference, held in japan, on 2/15/06, nintendo anounced the plan to release, for the DS, the Opera web browsesr. They also announced a TV card add on, which will, obviously, allow players to tune into TV.

Currently the TV tuner has only been announced for a japan release.

This could be GREAT for nintendo, expecially if they release both in the US.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by TanisLinkEragon (see edit history)

That sounds really cool. It'd also be a lot better than other web browsers on hand helds (PSP, phone, etc.) because of the touch screen keyboard. I hope, since it's on a normal cart, it doesn't cost $30, though. It'd take away from the advantage over the others because those are all included.

i don't understand why all devices aren't "web enabled" straight out of the box, it has become such an intergral part of our lives these days. the small screen size may make it a bit annoying to browse some sites but overall i think it would be a great tool for most of us.

Yap, Nintendo Ds will include a web-browser.
And it will be Opera browser, and it's official already.

I've seen this announcement from Opera website while I was downloading a latest version. Well I think Opera browser will dominate the mobile community for web browsing. Likewise for RealPlayer.

Now it's mobile phones, Nitendo DS, and palm computers. I'm not surprised in future it will be on an iPod or a Creative Zen Micro.

http://www.operasoftware.com/press/releases/devices/giving-gamers-two-windows-to-the-web-the-opera-browser-for-nintendo-dsa

i don't understand why all devices aren't "web enabled" straight out of the box, it has become such an intergral part of our lives these days. the small screen size may make it a bit annoying to browse some sites but overall i think it would be a great tool for most of us.

Companies now refer to another company to do the job that they are best suitable for. It's called "Out-sourcing".

Take this as an example:
Nitendo didn't want to create it's own web-browser not because they couldn't. It's because it's cheaper and more efficient to let Opera Inc. which has already developed that speedy mobile browsing technology and proved to be working and well regconised, to put their browser in compatibity with Nitendo DS. At the same time, Nitendo will not need to form another sub-group to develop its own web-browser, thus they can save this cost and place more efforts and priority on Nitendo DS device instead. Also, because both companies had coorparated, and in their future, they both again can do better in their products while relying on each other's technology at a lower cost and higher efficiency.

It goes the same for other companies. Some companies out-sourced for Google, and many people know it. It's the same for Nitendo and Opera.
Edited by Inspiron (see edit history)

As beeseven said, hopefully it doesn't cost too much. It'd definitely help give the DS an edge though - with the good pricing, and with the games finally picking up (in terms of quality and quantity). Damn that'd be cool watching TV on a DS.

ummm i doubt that you will ever see the tv tuner unless you live in Japan, sorry to be the bareror of bad news but in Japan there are these special signals or something in the air that increase the quality of handheld and portable devices such as tvs and mobile phones with video.

The browser will costs approximatly the same price as your standard new game on Nintendo Ds ...meh im not sure if thats bad or not :P..the only pointless thing is..If ur using your own computer with the USB WiFi connector ....theres no point in using it...because u can just browse the web on the computer itself...its only decent property would be if you brung ur DS to a wireless internet hotspot somwhere :Dill prob still buy it for the novelty of it tho :).And like antwill said...yah..the TV tuner will probably not be released anywhere but japan....and if it does..the quality will prob be crap :)

It's funny how consoles strive to become more like PC's... In the possibly near future we don't even need a seperate console / pc for gaming / work I guess. But the nintendo Ds screen is so small, wouldn't it be very hard to read text etcetera?

This was in the latest issue of Nintendo Power. They had a picture of a DS browsing the internet. The bottom screen is for toolbars (that's what it looked like, at least) and the full view of the webpage. The top screen is a zoomed in view of the page which you can move around.

seems realy good for ds owners. It was only a mtter of time before they added the browser. The only thing that sucks is that you have to buy that wifi thing i think. But i dont think it is to expensive.

why do you need a web browser when it's made for gaming? Also, what would you do with the top screen? the bottom screen would be for navigating and clicking and stuff. Plus the screen is so tiny and not widescreen. It would not make a good browser, unless you used it for mabie WAP stuff. Even so, that's why I have a cell phone... LOL