xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tt3

Quick Question Is there a limit on the size of the MySQL database?

Question's in the title!

how do i start to build my site?
Notice from jlhaslip:

Blue angel: you are hijacking this thread. Please don't do that.
Feel free to start a new thread of your own.
This question would be best asked in the HTML Forum listed under Computers - Programming.

blueangel, this would not be the place to make such a post, you should post this on your own forum not the forum of someone elses problem, just a little tip from member to member..but you would start your site by getting 30 hosting credits...then putting in an application and waiting for it to be approvedi do not believe there is a limit on the size of the database, but you would have to wait for an admin or mod to tell you offically...

According to the mysql Manual, on a Linus 2.4+ system, the mysql Tables can be as large as 4 Terrabytes.Windows 32 with NTFS max 2 terrabytesWindows fat32 approx 2 Gigs, Linux 2.2 same.As you can see from above, the restriction is Operating System dependant. If the System allows for the mysql to operate at its maximum potential, then the limit for the mysql table is 64 Terrabytes, but, Operating System Maximum File Sizes pull the maximum down to force mysql to function within the constraints of the Operating System Max File Size. All this and more is to be found in the mysql Manual. This information is based on mysql 5. If you are using (cringe) mysql3, or 4, then the maximums are smaller, but still pretty big.

lol, jlhaslip you get really technical and have all kinds of stats and facts :huh:But yea, basically you can have the mysql database as large as you want, as long as its smaller than like 2 gigs as jlhaslip said above.... but if you have hosting on trap or something like that, you will never be able to have a 2 gig mysql database because your hosting account isn't that big ;) Mysql databases count towards your disk quota, so you can't have a database bigger than your disk quota.

A matter of interpretation, I suppose. I thought the question was how large can a mysql d/b be? You interpreted it to ask how large a d/b will the Xisto Hosting account allow my d/b to be. I guess we are both right.

Yeah, I think that it can't be larger than your storage quota (50 or 150 MB). You could probably request more disk space, but you shouldn't need it unless you have a forum like this running.

Yeah, I think that it can't be larger than your storage quota (50 or 150 MB). You could probably request more disk space, but you shouldn't need it unless you have a forum like this running.

Before I choose Xisto or any other host:

I'm trying to figure out how much space I will need for my personal website.

It will have a Xoops/Wordpress-based blog, a Coppermine-style photo gallery, a guestbook module, a large link database (web directory with thousands of web links), and down the road I will try a Xoops forum module (for the experience, if nothing else).

To be more specific, I have almost 50 MB worth of photos to upload to a gallery (and need a little room for the future), but the forum requirements will be very small as membership will be invitation-only and limited to about 40 or 50 members at most.

I'm guessing that I will probably need the 150 MB storage quota. However...

1) Question: Do you think it's likely I will run out of even this much quota space in the forseeable future?

It is very encouraging to hear that Xisto does not have a specific limit on the MySQL database.

Most other free web hosts have a specific maximum file size limit, like either 8 MB or 10 MB.

2) Question: Does this mean that, even if they don't specifically state it, their MySQL database(s) are also limited to their maximum file size? This is not made very clear...

I was told that Xoops stores almost everything in the MySQL database - except for uploaded files and the index.

3) Question: Does this mean that photos uploaded to an image gallery are not stored in its MySQL database?

1) Question: Do you think it's likely I will run out of even this much quota space in the forseeable future?

It's not very likely, that is if you choose the 30 credits package.

2) Question: Does this mean that, even if they don't specifically state it, their MySQL database(s) are also limited to their maximum file size? This is not made very clear...

Yes they are, but it is highly unlikely that you'll ever reach it.

3) Question: Does this mean that photos uploaded to an image gallery are not stored in its MySQL database?

No, as far as I know uploaded photos are simply stored on the FTP server.

Edited by Lightning73 (see edit history)

I didn't know what SQL was before I had to install a new accounting package at work. Me and the 'consultant' spent over a day geting SQL to talk....permissions all had to be set up...ahhhhAfter spending most of life with computers I finally worked out why a lot of guys in I.T. have grey hair...if they have any hair. Computers suck! lolI'm sorry if I didn't add much to this topic.KJ