xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Albus Dumbledore

Laptop At Highschool Has anyone got or plan on getting a laptop to use at high school?

Has anyone got or plan on getting a laptop to use at high school?I have, ive thought about it and i am planning on going through with buying myself a laptop for school. I mean, i can take notes with it..my math teacher has wireless internet set-up so i could use it during lunch hehe..i think it would be fun! lolso if neone has done that just post here that ya have, some info on the computer, etc... i plan on getting a dell :-D

You should take a few things into consideration, most important, that the laptop can be stolen and there are plenty of kids with devious ideas and this will definatly spark someones interest, so make sure you get one with a tracker whenever they hook it up to the internet, cheap but effective. Also check if you haven't with your teacher if he will even allow you to take it out let alone let you take notes on it. Some teachers believe writing it down helps with the learning process. I'd recommend against it.

eh, ive asked my english teacher, and freshman skills teacher and they both think its better than taking accual notes on paper...but the tracker would be a good ideal also thanx

I have a laptop.. I'm on it now XP I don't take it to school, cause I'd be terrified I'd drop it, and I don't think most of my teachers really like them. I do type a lot of my notes out onto it when I get home, though.As for stuff to think about if/when you go buy one, you want to make sure its not too big or too heavy, since you'll be carrying it around. Also make sure it comes with wireless networking, though thats a pretty basic feature lately.. If you'll only be using it for school stuff, you don't need to worry about the graphics card. You might need 512 RAM, if you're only typing, and.. a somewhat decent processor? I don't even know if you need all this info, but thats ok.. XP Oh, and Toshiba is generally the best brandname, from what I picked up when I was looking for mine. Just don't go with Compaq, and you're safe.

Edited by xaetos (see edit history)

yeah, well i do plan on getting this lap top not just for school but for home use also, i wouldn't just buy one for school it would be both for home and school...so i would need all the graphics and all the memory i would possibly be able to get..thanx for ya input..

I WANT a laptop, however, due to our school's stupid rules, it could be confiscated if I were to use it at school (if I had one). If you are actually allowed to have any kind of electronic at your school, without the fear of having it confiscated, then you are very lucky.If I could take notes on my laptop, that would make taking notes fun...I love to type (kinda weird, I think).

lol if i were to type notes, i would remember it allot better because i basicly say it over and over in my head again when i write them down the teacher jsut says it over and over again until i get it all down, bu like i said with the computer and typing i get to say it over and over in my head until its all typed up.. its kind of like my studying concept..i concider it best to wait until the last minute to study because if you do you are soo stressed that you are going to fail it will just stick in your head...

Here is what i think. I really dont thinkr. that you should get a laptop to take notes. I, for one, have used one at college for notes especially in my computer science classes but it tends to create sidetrackions from the actual lesson. I tend to want to search google or post here or research stuff on my own when i had my laptop in class since a ton of things are review. I personally think that having a paper and pen in class to take notes allows people to be less sidetracked and to pay more attention and remember the information better

I was considering getting a laptop to use at my school a few months ago, but as they use a specially modified version of Windows on all of the PCs they said I would have to install that to access the network. That didn't really suit me as it would mean I could install no software on it at all.Now they have installed wireless Internet in various places around the school, but they are all protected with a WEP key, which no-one can remember becuase it was randomly generated and they didn't write it down :huh:The few people who do bring laptops in to use at school seem to spend most of their time making their work look pretty rather than actually writing anything down. So if you do get a laptop, make sure you put a template in Word or something to make it quicker. If you are worried about dropping it I think there are a few companies now that produce laptops with mini-airbags in them to help if you drop them. You can also get shockproof laptop bags and things like that which help too.On the matter of it getting stolen, either fit it with a tracker or you could ask the reception at school to look after it while you are not using it. Our school has a safe which we can ask the receptionists to put things in such as mobile phones and MP3 players at lunchtimes or during lessons when we don't need them.

i'm already in college yet i still don't have my own laptop. i really need one since it has a relation to my course in college. ugh.. how i wish money is easy to get so i could buy things that i need (take note, i said "i need" not "i want". people do confuse that).

I'm hoping to get a panasonic toughbook to take to school. Lucky for me, I'm the stuent computer tech, so I know everything on how to use the network. As far as it getting stolen, I believe that many people respect me at the school, and they wouldn't take it. For the others, they know I'm in with the staff, and that if I report it stolen, I will get it back. The staff will search book bags, and everything. I'm so lucky...

lol, if anyone were ever yo go through my book bag for whatever reason i would stop and tell them to shove their foot up their A$$, but next to the fact everyone at my school knows me also. its a weird thing...lol neways..yeah i still think ill get a laptop to use at school, i know the wireless interent isn't protected because i had a friend that brought one to school and connected fine...as for putting it in the school vault i wouldn't trust it in there..they never shut it except when school is over...and it is all to easy to get into..i would trust it in my math teachers filing cabnet first >_<

I personally would have wanted a laptop when i was at school, I could never have afforded one when i was at that age tho... They can be incredibly useful tools, but keep in mind that you will want to back-up your notes and any school work that you keep on it because if it gets broken or stolen you could lose everything.rvalkass: if they want you to use their special operating system setup a dual boot scenario on your pc where you can boot into "school mode" to use their network.kevlar557: never assume you will get anything back that is stolen, even if the teachers search things they can't search the entire school from top to bottom and it can't be that hard to get it out of the school very quickly....

Wow... well in Richmond, VA in our school every student gets equiped with a Windows XP Pro Dell 600m laptop computer.... and all that other stuff, since we have a deal w/ dell and the middle schools get iBooks (hate em'). But anyways its great and then they suck, b/c we have so much filtering, and access restrictions so we can't install anything and mess around with the settings, but other wise they are great, and when the 4 yr contract expires, we can buy them for the $50.00 dollar insurance fee we pay. But then @ the end of the year we have to turn them back it, so there REALLY not ours, there the countys. :huh:Go with a Dell 600m, light weight, portable, cool design, and student/traveler favorite!

It really depends on what type of computer you are after, and what type of software/hardware you are planning to use for your studies.My uni as of late had recently installed wireless Internet in various places around the univesity, but not all of them are operational and all of them are protected, which no-one but probably the techs can remember as it's only been recently been implemented and they have been on catchup.There are lot of ppl that do bring laptops in to use at university/college/high school, but the prob is that it can be easy to slack off if your mind isnt really to it. So if you do get a laptop, as someone else said, use templates in particular programs such as Microsoft Word and Ecel to make it simpler and quicker. It is strongly recommended to get a laptop bag as those computers are indeed expensive. There are many retailers that also sell laptop bags, and as one the posters said, there are also extras such as shockproofing, etc which would help in the case of accidently dropping the bag.Thats all I got to say for now, so happy laptop hunting.

Edited by arnz (see edit history)