xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
delivi

Future Of Gmail Whats yet to Come in GMail

Recently news has come that the a person has found in the GMail JavaScript code some code snippets for features that've not yet included in GMail. The report says that it is likely that Google will include a new feature in GMail in Future that allows anyone with a domain to use GMail as server.

GMail code hints at coming domain feature

Google's GMail has been firing on all cylinders, but it could be on the verge of getting even more horsepower. Based on information found buried deep within the javascript source, we can start to see the bigger picture for GMail what else could they possibly add to this mail client?

Their next big move will likely be GMail for domains a powerful way for anybody who owns a domain to utilize GMail as a mail server, not just a client. Yahoo has their own small business mail product which does precisely this, and now evidence suggests Google is planning the same.

This is the line from the source that really makes me think this might be in the works:

function vJ(){if(uy){;return'<a class=lc target=_blank href="'+ry+'">'+"Manage this domain"+"</a> | "}else{return""}}In a line just before this, you can see some code which references "Caribou"  some suggest this is the code name for future versions of GMail before they are released.var kQ=ob(["Contact us ","Report bug","Caribou is slow","Send a suggestion","I need personal help!","Caribou-only features"],5); 

Assuming a new feature for domains is in the making, this is how I see it working. After deciding to use GMail as a mail server, the first step would be to add an MX record pointing to mail.google.com in the DNS for a domain effectively routing email directly to Google for it. GMail will not automatically put this incoming mail into your inbox as there is no link between that domain and yourself.

In your settings, there will be a tab to manage your domains giving you the ability to link domain(s) to your account. I would guess an authorization email is sent to the administrative or technical contact before it's officially added to prevent random people from adding domains they don't own.

Once a domain is linked, you can then manage email addresses for it by clicking the "Manage this domain" link (as seen in the javascript) when you are logged in as the administrator. It is likely that the domain email administrator could even set up quotas to best manage the 2GB of space given to them unless they are willing to pay for extra of course.

Besides the obvious account management, there are also advantages to a service like this. Companies can use it as a replacement to Microsoft Exchange as it has the potential to have shared contact lists, shared calendars, instant communication (the new talk feature), etc. Imagine also the possibility of Google allowing companies to skin their own GMail service colors, layout, and even the logo could be customizable. Of course, even if Google allow this, ads will likely be delivered regardless.

It will be interesting to see if they release a corporate email service soon. Google has not yet responded to requests for more information if anything turns up I will update this post.

Quoted Text from Googling Google

I got to know about this by Google's Alert Service.

Google Caribou?

Google Caribou was the name of GMail in Alpha Stage. And most probably it'll be the name of Future GMail.

Special GMail

Caribou is what Google employees use to check their Google mail. It includes some features that Gmail does not yet.

So there is lot of features yet to come in GMail under Google's Sleeve. GMail will dominate the Web mail, by providing complete features and facilites that are not found in any other mail service.

Read related topic here

Edited by delivi (see edit history)

I'm pretty sure that google will be the top e-mail service provider for a long time. Everything that they have right now, size of account(2.5+gig) plus all of their features, will ensure that they are the top for a while. Now with these extra features they are coming out with and different new ones in the feature will help them greatly.In my opinion, the reason google is so successful is because they actually care about their customers. They treat their customers well and are very helpful. Plus they are always adding new features and support which most other companys don't :huh: I know some do add new stuff to their services but not to the extent that google goes to.

I hope gmail follows his great evolution in the future, listening to the users and improving the weakest points of their service. This is good for everyone, google users will be satisfied and other mail provider?s users will benefit from the effort that these services will have to make in order to be a decent rival.

Nice find dude! No more neomail! This means easy webmail checking for all domain holders. The question is, will it work for subdomain holders like us? And do we even have the capability to hook ourselves up with a service like this?Google is the main topic of discussion here. What I am wondering is this. Will they hold up forever, or collapse under a build, dominate, collapse pattern? I certainly hope not, yet I wonder. Also, like you De Livi said, it looks like employies are getting benefits than us! I hope they make those available to us. Hey nice find, thanks.

Google is widening the features availabe for the GMail users. Now it has launched the Google Pages, the free webhosting for all GMail users with 100 MB space and unlimited bandwidth and an easy to use WYSIWYG editor so that even a newbie can setup his site without any knowledge about web desigining and HTML or any languages.I really forgot that my first post in this Thread was posted before GMail for Domains was launched. So the Information that I've given was true. Ha ha ha I've been quick and released about Googles new service even before it was launched.

Edited by delivi (see edit history)

Working with subdomains is not likely. 90% of places that offer webmail either offer services for your own domain or for THEIR subdomain. It'd be kind of hard to set it up for other subdomains since you dont get any control of the MX settings with a subdomain acct.

GMail will never be withdrawn as Google is still adding many features to GMail and services to the GMail users. Basically all the Google Services are based on the Google accounts and the GMail ID of the users creates their Google Account. So if GMail is withdrawn the user will not be able to continue to use their other Google services. This will be big loss to the users and also to Google. So there arises no question of Google Withdrawing GMail service.

This will be very good for a lot of people, because they can save bandwidth and quota fees with this free service. You have to pay for the domain though, obviously :(

I hope google could integrate all their services in just one person's account. I mean, we should not register for another service of theirs if we already have an account from Gmail. If you have a Gmail account you could automaticcaly have the free service for the web account etc.

I hope google could integrate all their services in just one person's account. I mean, we should not register for another service of theirs if we already have an account from Gmail. If you have a Gmail account you could automaticcaly have the free service for the web account etc.

Hi pal actually there is no need for you to Signup seperately for all the services of Google. You need a single Google Account to access all the Google Services. Eventually your GMail ID is an Google Account. So you can use your GMail ID to access all other services of Google.

But there are exceptions you cannot signin into Orkut without an Invitation from another existing member.

Will GMail ever run out of Server space? I mean:The Google Pages ervice only provides 10 MB of space.Isn't that a little weird?We don't need that much space for Email. But we do need a lot of space for websites.The point is: Google knows that we will not need so much email space. It is exaggerating the numbers. However, if Google actually has this much space, why wouldn't it be balanced between GMail and GPages?Consider if EVERYONE used that much Email space. Would Google be offering more space then?Or is Google actually buying millions of servers everyday?

Wow Google is trying to take over the internet because they have almost every service out there and its better than the competition. Gmail for domains is probably going to shut down mail servers everywhere because Gmail offers such a great service.

Google is simply the best. I have been using it now for a very long time and according to one of the users google is likely to launch an email hosting service. well, i would really appreciate if google provides this service free. I would have used my domain with it. Well i believe google is one of the best email services around. Google has a lot of products except Gmail like adsense.GOOOGLE ROCKS