xisto Community
moldboy

What Is "alright"

We were in engligh class today and the topic was common grammer mistakes, things like, alot (it isn't a word) and the three theres (there, their, they're) and anyway, i learned that the word alright, well isn't a word (anymore). the only correct spelling is all right.

Next week, common spelling mistakes.  :(

222705[/snapback]

lol. Grammar isn't it?

I don't really understand how people can mix up their, there, and they're, so much. Okay They're is a contraction (isn't it? haha) its short for They Are, now wouldn't you have common sense that its They're when reffering to people, and not there, or their? And There is like here, over here...over there...very simple. Whats left? Their. It was theirs.

things like, alot (it isn't a word)

222664[/snapback]

Alot isn't a word but "a lot" is the correct spelling. People couldn't distinguish the actual word when used it in a sentence. "Thanks a lot" is just as same as "thanks a bunch"--it is thanking for uncertain measurement. This is similar to "thank you very much." If one were to say, "thank you very many" it's saying that one can count the gratitude. However, by saying "much" it's implied that one's gratitude is immeasurable.

Yeah, I learned that a few years ago. I think I was 11... I read my High School Subjects Self-Taught book on English and saw it... (I was doing advance studying back then) I didn't use alot back then, but I wrote all right as alright. I eventually corrected my ways. Hehe, I was actually worse before that. I wrote didn't as did'nt. :( Well, thankfully that has been fixed along with other things...

lolBut it's quite common development of language, though. People like something short.This has become more common with mobile phone text messages. Sometimes, people wanna fit everything in 1 text, so they use 'alright' in stead of 'all right'...'B4' rather than 'before'Maybe, It's just like 'wanna' and 'want to' or 'gonna' and 'going to'....or 'luv' in stead it 'love'

Maybe, It's just like 'wanna' and 'want to' or 'gonna' and 'going to'....

or 'luv' in stead it 'love'

'Wanna' and 'gonna' kind of make sense. But luv instead of love? Thats just lazy.. its a whole extra letter. Its not even combining more than one word. Even though I used to do it myself, stupid spelling things like that really bother me now. I mean, how much harder is it to type that whole extra letter to make you're words look like words? It even looks bad. Not only are you being lazy by cutting off the 'e' at the end, you're also changing a letter in it just so you can make it shorter. Makes no sense to me..

I think stuff like that happens more lately than in the past 'cause of kids being too lazy/slow to type the whole word(s) when they're using some chat program.. chances are, they'll grow out of it eventually. But until then, it annoys me..:huh:'

Alot isn't a word but "a lot" is the correct spelling. People couldn't distinguish the actual word when used it in a sentence. "Thanks a lot" is just as same as "thanks a bunch"--it is thanking for uncertain measurement. This is similar to "thank you very much." If one were to say, "thank you very many" it's saying that one can count the gratitude. However, by saying "much" it's implied that one's gratitude is immeasurable.

You see people who've spent time in college making the "alot" mistake. Just like your explanation, I taught my sister when she was learning how to write, "People write 'a lot' 'alot' a lot, but that is the same as writing 'abunch.'"

It's always stuck with her. :huh:

You didn't learn y -> ie in elementary school? This is why I'm annoyed that they don't teach anything but literature any more. People need to know the basic rules of grammar much more than they need to know that Robinson Crusoe loved raisins.I didn't even know what a mood was until this year when I heard about it in Spanish class.

maybe its not a word, but then most poeple use words that you wouldn't find in a normal dictionary, just that everyone knows what they mean, so they don't mind. If the title really was a question, alright means ok, not good or bad, but in the middle sorta thing. can be a question or answer though...

things like, alot (it isn't a word)

Well, I've learned NOT to use "alot" AKA: a lot. I've learned that using the words "vast amounts (of)" is a better way to say "a lot". Or sometimes, you could use, "copious" or maybe "numerous". In college, putting a word like a lot or all right just isn't "all right". So, judging by what you're learning, you're in middle school, right?