xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kaylanicole

Hosting Quick Questions

a few quick questions, or well, maybe not so quick since they're really lengthy. i have enough credits for the 2nd hosting package but i still gotta clear up just a few more things because i'm just a really hesitant person about everything. i think i get the idea of the credits system but just to make sure before i request hosting...

1. every day that i'm not active on the forum, will i lose a credit?

2. this kinda goes with the first question. right now i have enough credits for the 2nd package. lets say i get a site today here at trap. if each day i dont post, i lose a credit, then how many credits under would it take for my site to be deleted. i dont wanna go down to like 29 credits and have it deleted

3. so would that mean each month i'm hosted, i need to gain another 30 credits? and how do i know that i have to gain a certain amount of credits more to get the required amount? does my hosting credits reset or something? if i got more than 30 credits for the month, will i still have those remaining credits the next month?

4. if my site gets deleted, do i lose all my credits? if i gain enough credits again and get hosted, do i have to start my site all over again? can i still keep the same domain/subdomains? how would people who linked to the site see it, would it be a 'page not found' kind of page

5. so my domain/subdomain url does not need to have Xisto in it? if i want the url of the domain to be amour-toujour.net (amour toujour means 'love always' in french) is that ok? and then i could link Xisto as my host on just the domain?

6. how would i do #5? or should i make another post in some other forum for that? if i need to post it somewhere else, where do i post it?

7. so with the 2nd package, since i'm active in the forum, i can have one domain, unlimited subdomains, no banner ads whatsoever on my site..... and its all for FREE?!?!?!?!?!

thanks!

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Topic title changed.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

1. Your credit drains everyday, that's why once you sign up for a hosting package, you must continue posting to maintain your hosting.

2. I think once you reach 0 credit, your site will be disabled.

3. Umm I didn't quite get that question. Someone else answer please? :)

4. Your site will just be disabled [i think], until you start re-posting. You won't lose any domains or subdomains, and you won't have to rebuild your site again.

5. Well your going to need to buy that domain to get amour-tojour.net and just link that domain back to your Trap 17 hosting.

6. You look for one and buy it?

7. Yes it's all free as long as you continue to stay active and keep your hosting credits above 0. :P

I don't think all the information above is 100% accurate. Things may have changed since I was here a few years ago. So if anything is wrong, please correct me. :P I hope these answer your questions kaylanicole. And goodluck with getting your hosting package.

Okay, here is the first answer: in my signature, there is a link for frequently asked questions.

Use it to review the topic and confirm the information I will give you below.

a few quick questions, or well, maybe not so quick since they're really lengthy. i have enough credits for the 2nd hosting package but i still gotta clear up just a few more things because i'm just a really hesitant person about everything. i think i get the idea of the credits system but just to make sure before i request hosting...

Credits are earned by posting on these forums. The number of credits received for a posting vary depending on the length and quality of posts. Long posts earn more. Better posts earn more. The topic and the description should be filled out and be related to the topic when starting a new topic. Use good meaningful topic names and descriptions. "I need help :)" isn't a good topic or description. "Questions about hosting credits" is a good one. Spam and one line posts are not preferred on this forum. There are lots of other forums that don't mind them, but not here. So these are some guidelines for earning credits.

Not until you are Hosted. Since you are a regular member only (for now), there is not a per day reduction of your credits. The only way you will lose credits as a regular member is by spamming or having posts deleted by a Mod or Admin. Avoid that because I don't think you can be granted Hosted status with outstanding Warnings. Might be wrong about that, but it would be difficult to get the Admins to approve your Hosting status with a warning against you.

2. this kinda goes with the first question. right now i have enough credits for the 2nd package. lets say i get a site today here at trap. if each day i dont post, i lose a credit, then how many credits under would it take for my site to be deleted. i dont wanna go down to like 29 credits and have it deleted

When you have 30 or more credits and apply for Hosting, the decision to award Hosting status will be made by an administrator responsible for that task. Let's say you are approved. Then you must 'process' your account to gain the 'Hosted' status. When you do that, there is a script which deducts the 30 credits from your account immediately. This is the 'front-end charge'. The script also resets your credits to an amount somewhere between a min of 0 and a maximum of 4 credits, depending on the actual number of credits you have earned. The rationalle behind this is to avoid someone building up a major amount of credits, gaining their hosting status and not returning to post at the forums. Remember that it is Forum activity that supports the Free Hosting here. At this point the regular script takes over and begins to deduct credits at the rate of 1 per day for each day you are Hosted..

3. so would that mean each month i'm hosted, i need to gain another 30 credits? and how do i know that i have to gain a certain amount of credits more to get the required amount? does my hosting credits reset or something? if i got more than 30 credits for the month, will i still have those remaining credits the next month?

*edit*

I may have misunderstood your question. Everytime you login to the trap, your "credits" are shown on the first page (http://forums.xisto.com/index.php)after a successful login. They are either green or red text. Scroll down once or twice depending on your display and they will be right there. Your credits are continuosly updated by the page script.

*edit*

If I understand you correctly, your concern is that you may not be able to post regularly? Not a problem. Most members here have lives, too. The most common strategy is to visit the forum, make a few posts and then return a few days later and do it again. It is highly reccomended to build up a buffer of 7 to 10 credits and then if for some reason you don't or can't post for a few days, no problem, you have some credits sitting there ready to cover you. When you are able to resume posting, you can blitz the forums (keeping in mind the rules against spamming) and build your credits back up to a comfortable level. Another common approach is to visit daily, make one or two smaller posts. This is okay as long as you are aware that you run the risk is dropping below the zero credits mark and may be "suspended". Suspended status is when your credits drop below zero. If you have a site up and running, access is denied by Xisto Corporation's "Suspended Page" splash screen. In order to re-activate your account, you have to regain the negative credits back to plus 4. There is a script which runs approximately every hour which will then re-activate your account. The same script is the one which de-activates your account. Your files are safely stored on the servers at this point for a grace period of thity days. After 30 days, the account (including the files) is deleted from the servers, never to be seen again, unless you have a backup copy on your local machine.

4. if my site gets deleted, do i lose all my credits? if i gain enough credits again and get hosted, do i have to start my site all over again? can i still keep the same domain/subdomains? how would people who linked to the site see it, would it be a 'page not found' kind of page

See above. By the time your account gets deleted, you have had a thirty day period to regain them.

5. so my domain/subdomain url does not need to have Xisto in it? if i want the url of the domain to be amour-toujour.net (amour toujour means 'love always' in french) is that ok? and then i could link Xisto as my host on just the domain?

Options for Hosting here are:

1: to have your own Domain name, which must be purchased and registered outside of the scope of Xisto and pointed to the Xisto servers.

2: to accept to use the "sub-domain" name selected when you apply for Hosting. This sub-domain will be something like "subdomain.trap17.com" ( no quotes, of course). using this example, the access to your site would be "http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/;.

6. how would i do #5? or should i make another post in some other forum for that? if i need to post it somewhere else, where do i post it?

There are a great number of services which can supply you with a domain name. Yahoo Small Business has just ended a program which had domain names for $2.99 US per year. Godaddy is a big provider of domain names. There are also other Forums that issue you domain names based on your posting there. Google it up, or do a search right here at the trap forums. I know that there are topics related to the free posting domain names. Personally, I accepted hosting here with a Xisto subdomain and now have a domain name which points to my subdomain. The cpanel here allows Parked and Addon domains. Also, there are specific bits of information you will need to "point" your domain to the the Xisto nameservers and I think you will also require the DNS number. All that is in the Frequently Asked Questions file which I referred you to earlier.

7. so with the 2nd package, since i'm active in the forum, i can have one domain, unlimited subdomains, no banner ads whatsoever on my site..... and its all for FREE?!?!?!?!?!

thanks!

218688[/snapback]

well, FREE is a relative thing. Your time to post here is surely worth something. Of course, you wouldn't benefit from the value of these forums if you got a job to pay for Paid Hosting, which, incidently Xisto Corporation does offer through the sister company, Xisto - Web Hosting.com.

The full list of features is available by finding the cpanel Demo that Buffalohelp created. It shows screen prints of the cpanel and lists the actual features. One word of caution there, though. That Demo was created at the previous Trap server, so some of the details may be a bit different, like this new server might have some slightly newer versions of software, but the General information in the Demo is the same. If the demo says you are allowed to use php, this server version of php may be newer than the version listed in the Demo. Get it?

Wow, I'm glad you asked all these good questions in one Topic. It has forced me to sit and explain all of this in one posting. Something which I am hopeful others will benefit from. I only hope all this stuff is accurate. If you find that there are errors here, simply report the posting and have a Moderator review and edit the information.

Notice from jlhaslip:

A couple of minor edits following a re-read of the post.

YES, I did a preview, but I guess it is late at night and I didn't catch them all

Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

Yes. You lose 1 credit every 24 hours.

Your site first will go to SUSPENSION mode when your credit reaches zero. And every 24 hours thereafter, you'll see credit constantly reducing by 1. So, after you hit zero, two days later will be -2 in hosting credit. Once suspended, you need to have at least 4 credits to bring your site out of suspension. It usually takes about 1 hour after you reach the target credit number. Your account is automatically deleted and terminated when you reach -30 credits, or 30 days of suspension. All your files are deleted then and cannot be retrieved.

Yes. You can gain 100 credits and remain inactive in the forum if you wish. Although Xisto encourages every member to be active in regular bases, you may choose to collect as much credits as you wish as long as you're not spamming or breaking board posting rules. Once you gain your credits, it will not diminish except for the normal minus 1 credit per every 24 hour period. And your credit will roll over to the next month. The bottom line is that there's no restriction how many credits you can earn.

See answer #2. The only way your site is deleted is either you neglected to be active for over 30 days since your suspension or you broke Terms Of Service. When you break TOS, you will not be allowed to host again under the same forum user. When you break TOS for the second time, you will be banned from our network. When your site is deleted, the contents and the URL goes to null. Which means as long as available, you can have the same URL. For demonstration of what suspension page looks like, click this link http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

As long as you own Top Level Domain (Xisto provides subdomain) you can set your nameserver under your doamin control to ns1.trap17.com and ns2.trap17.com. When you activate your hosting account, be sure to use your TLD name. Another way is using redirect services such as CO.NR or UNI.CC. Basically optaing a subdomain through Xisto and access direct service to name the target URL.

Already answered. Access the DNS control and change name servers to ns1.trap17.com and ns2.trap17.com. You must wait about 24-72 hours until your nameserver properly propagates through out the internet. Until then, you won't see your site. You can immediately see your site by typing gamma.xisto.com/~cPanelName and access cPanel by http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

218688[/snapback]

If you do not own your own domain, you're getting 1 subdomain, and under that unlimited subdomains. For example, 1-yourSite.trap17.com and unlimited-xxxx.yourSite.trap17.com. And the rest is yes, it's all true. No forced ad banner and it's all for free.

hey ppl, i just want to kno that if i get my domain now with this 10 credit package, n afetr som days is my credits become 30, then vil i b tranferred to 30 credit package? or i have to start sgain from zero after i get 10 credit package?

Once you get your web hosting with 10 hosting credits you have to get 30 more credits to upgrade your hosting to the new package.

Have just accessed this thread through one of the moderator's signatures. I'd like to say these questions are pretty helpful, especially to the new people who sign-up who don't really have knowledge of the Xisto hosting.Did you know that on the xisto suspended page example, the Xisto links are wrong. For example, Admin Area being shown as a forum link.Should this be hidden? Just thought I'd best report it in case it's a bug which needs fixing or something.edit: I've just clicked on the Admin link, but it only takes to the Xisto.com home page, so maybe its ok.Well done to all of the moderators/admins who've answered these questions! :lol:

Edited by sportytalk (see edit history)

Sorry, i'm rather new. but i wanted to know, can you write your own html code for your page(s) or do you have to use template based programs? :)

Edited by keri-j (see edit history)

Sorry, i'm rather new. but i wanted to know, can you write your own html code for your page(s) or do you have to use template based programs? :)

You have the complete control over your hosting account. Cpanel is your control interface where you set up different database, block hotlink, monitor bandwidth etc. You have your own FTP access or upload files via cPanel. Therefore, you have 100% control over how your webpage will look (using various codes, templates, scripts etc).

For a sample of what your hosting account would look, please visit Xisto Readme (my signature) and look for topic "cPanel Demo Page". Thank you.

EDIT
Topic answered and closed.

If you would like to add or post follow up question, please PM any moderator and request.