xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
CrazyRob

Terrabyte Hard Disc

Thats alot of hdd... but i though a terribyte is like 2000gb? i think i saw it on g4tv.com They had 6tb on one computer! it was amazing, they had alot of wire connected to one computer. It was like the fastest computer ive everseend. It had a water cooling system that was cooll

yes .. 1 terrabyte is 1000gb. .. I once saw a 1 terrabyte hdd on office max website once. It was huge though. It's not regular hdd like we use, it's like a big box. Not sure about the size because i only saw it in pictures. But it's probably just a box filled with many hdd and connected it all together. Lol.. i'm not sure.. too lazy to do any research on that.well.. if i add up all the hdd space of all my computers including laptops. It would probably be over 1 terrabyte =P. I once saw this one guy on DC++ (if you know what that is)... he was sharing 1.1 tb of stuff. lol. the guy must have no life downloading all those stuff =P...

But who needs 1 Terabyte of disk space?I think its hard to fill such a disk only with legal stuff, if you understand what I mean :)

Few companies make disks that size, and those that do aren't really pushing them. Sure, you'd be able to store a lot more stuff, but a lot of people don't realize that the computer actually has to look for the stuff on the disk before it gets used. You might not realize it right now since hard drives are relatively small compared to that, but the wait would increase by a lot if you have that much information on one disk.

It won't take long before we all will need terrabyte hdds, just look at how everything is exploding in size. 2 years ago a movie would be on a vcd at only 700mbs, now movies come on dvds and you need 4gbs just to store one movies. Games too evolved form the standard 1-2 cds(700-1400mbs) into the typical new game at dvd size. Thats 20 movies/games for a 80gigabyte hard drive.My friend has a 1.2tb sever, but its made out of 3 400gb hhds. We all ripped our music/games/movies/anime we've accumulated all life(legal stuff for backup and lan parties) and it came out to 800gbs. So it is possible to fill a tb with legal stuff.

Hehe..why do ppl need soooooo much disc space to have 97% free???I really dont understand that...Ok lets say 500gb and this is moooooore than enough but that much..i dunno..I guess programs are goin to become so big that we will need that sort of discs...

My friend has a 1.2tb sever, but its made out of 3 400gb hhds. We all ripped our music/games/movies/anime we've accumulated all life(legal stuff for backup and lan parties) and it came out to 800gbs. So it is possible to fill a tb with legal stuff.

219763[/snapback]

I have to agree with him.. I could fill a TB easily.. I'm dying with only 120GB.

But then.. I remember when I only had a 20GB HD, and didn't think I could ever fill it, so.... who knows. Even if you dont think you need a TB now, you will some day.. ^^;