xisto Community
thewebber1988

Google Earth Actually Shows The Real Thing. Microsoft Earth Does Not Show Everything

Download the two programs Google Earth and the Microsoft Version (I couldn't find what they name it :) )
The third thing that I have noticed is that Google Earth shows all the Military Bases around the world but the Microsoft one covers them up.

I'll try and find examples for this, I haven't used the programs in a while.

I haven't looked recently, but some Google Earth imagery of the Washington, D.C. Area was deliberately obscured, presumably so as not to give information to potential terrorists. If you have a current Google Earth image database handy (I don't at the present moment), see if you can see the Vice Presidential residence at the Naval Observatory in N.W. Washington. It is where RICHARD (defeating obscenity filter, which did not like his commonly referred-to first name) Cheney lives when he is not at his "undisclosed location."

Google Earth is great program like a computer program, but it is not mucn useful if you try do do a serious job with it. Like my dad. My dad is a sport pilot, and we figured out that Google Earth is giving a wrong information about a cordinates. I tried to type cordinates I got from Goole Earth in my Dad's GPS and it was show to me info on screen like I am in a different country, in a different place....So, this is a program for fun, and to view satelite pictures of every part of the planet, but I recomend to you all, do not take informations you get from google earth, it is worthless...

Well, this is basicly what Google has been doing for ages and will keep doing in the far future, keeping the power to its user so they have full control of what they want to do, while Microsoft obviously wants to have a much more "Big Brother" like position if you get what I mean. I rather take Google's example because less control to the user is more control to the company, which is allways a bad thing in my humble opinion. I prefer Google tools like Google Earth and Google Talk much more that Microsofts Mappoint and MSN Messenger. I don't like mappoint because you have to buy it, which is something I won't be doing to a microsoft product ever :)

Its all very fine when you can see your uncles car or you can see your friends house on Google Earth. But imagine this scenario - some mischief makers see some military site in some country which are not protected. They see the site, plan how to attack it and do it. These sort of scenarios can happen and that is why censoring the content is very much necessary. The country that is shown should have the right to tell what cannot be displayed openly. After all, we give that for a human. If you show C. Diaz topless, you are thrown into jail with hefty fines. Why Diaz's body cannot be see by everybody. Why the fine ? Same is the case with countries. I think the countries should stand up and demand that their rights to the images of their countries be protected and serious action taken against those who dont follow it. Why two different rules - one for humans and one for nations :)What say ?

Even though I don't agree with everything that is said in this particular forum, I do agree with some of the things that have been said. Yes, I do believe Google earth is better then Microsoft Earth, but don't understand how Microsoft earth does not show everything. If I am interperting this right, then why would you care if Microsoft Eath Covered Area 51? Or any Military bases as well. I don't think Microsoft Earth had any intensions of thinking their costomers were going to download their product just to look up those particular places. Give me a break! They're both good programs, so stop trying to put one down!

I don't mind Google Earth blocking out those secret parts, I'm not planning to do anything with those spots anyway, so why would I bother checking it out? I'd much rather have it protected so that certain stupid people can't abuse this wonderful software.

I do doubt that Google would be allowed to show any ultra sensitive information. Any secrets wouldn't be revealed in time for an enemy to use such information anyway. If it were real-time it might.