xisto Community
lacking_imagination

Game Piracy <_<

I feel its kinda appropriate to post this now, since a hacking team found a way to dump some of the source from Condemned on the X360...Most game pirates piss me off. There's no nice way to say it. Anyone who is too cheap to buy a game or rent it until they beat it, which unless you rent an rpg or a massively long adventure game is one rental nowadays, should be shot.I don't have a problem with emulators of dead systems. Even if you do find SNES games used somewhere, Nintendo makes absolutely no money off of them. Even original gameboy and GBC is fine with me, as nintendo abandoned the systems and is abandoning the backwards compatability.But the things that really get me are people who use game launchers. They copy their ps2 and xbox games to their hard drives and run them from there. And PSP game piracy. The psp was a great device to play around with homebrew on. Sony _could_ have used that as a leverage point against the big N and could have possibly pulled it off. But then iso dumpers were made, and people started ripping games. I had somebody im me the other day telling me to downgrade my psp so he could send me iso files. I'm sorry, but I enjoy a working psp, GTA and Infected too much to risk bricking my psp.Another thing.. I was at pspupdates and they had a new firmware spoofer/loader. And one of the first comments was "does it load iso for games that require 2.xx?"Honestly, those people are the morons that caused sony to make firmwares in the first place.If you won't buy the games, don't buy the system. You only hurt everyone else who buys them. Corporations need our money to stay alive. No corporations=less new technology=no more gaming consoles to hack/rip/emulate.

the only way I might hack a game is if I use a no-cd crack but I have brought the game first I juswt dont have enough dvd/cd drives to meet my needs lol. But yeah game hacking is bad. Some people just download the game before they buy just cos most shops dont take PC gmaes back anymore cos they can be copied.So not all gmae hackers do it just to annoy all the gamers and the companies some do it just to test the game before they buy...an example is rome total war:you download the game but cant play it onlineit isnt as good as the real version but its still playableyou like the game so decide to support the company and the gamers by buying the game when you can..thats how some of these people work they dont do it to annoy people they do it to test the game cos demos suck and they dont do anything to hewlp advertise the game apart from maybe its graphics and that...it takes a proper play of the game ot understand wether its good or not

I agree with you not only about game piracy but of piracy of all kinds. People do not realize that people put time into the programs and movies that they create. Most people I know think its different from stealing something from the store but its not. It is just like art and most people wouldn't think about stealing a painting but they don't mind burning a c.d. It gets me really mad sometimes when people don't respect other people's work.

well, i guess if i CARED about big corporations, i would take heed of your words.. but i dont, so i wont. im not saying i do it. . . but if they cant protect THEIR software from being copied, then thats their fault.. if they cant invest a LITTLE more money into keeping thier shite safe, then piraters are just showing them their errors. u would think after the MANY years of people doing this they would get the point. and sony failed MISERABLY at copy protecting their software, kinda funny how they had to recall it all and start over AGAIN. i do agree tho, they are lazy and they are too cheap to buy things, but . . why buy if u dont need to. why spend money when the item you want is free. ok well im done.. happy huntin.. Pe@cE

back when i was 8-9 years old with a playstation...i used pirated games..when your that age you dont care where you get your games from etc...but now i wish i never done it in the first place...and im not even a fan of sony !!It is just crap for the company because they are putting so much money into somthing..and people are copying games ...it probably drops the sales of the original games by over 50 % ..? ..probably does.i dont think nintendo had a problem though..well at least until the releasment of the GC because discs are apparently more easier to rip , and they used carts...and about the ripping of cartrages for emulators..i can understand doing it for dead consoles though...i would actually like to learn how to do that ;) ..like when you rip sprites from games :D..but not for consoles that are still be produced ;) .

well, i guess if i CARED about big corporations, i would take heed of your words.. but i dont, so i wont.  im not saying i do it. . . but if they cant protect THEIR software from being copied, then thats their fault.. if they cant invest a LITTLE more money into keeping thier shite safe, then piraters are just showing them their errors.  u would think after the MANY years of people doing this they would get the point.  and sony failed MISERABLY at copy protecting their software, kinda funny how they had to recall it all and start over AGAIN.  i do agree tho, they are lazy and they are too cheap to buy things, but . . why buy if u dont need to.  why spend money when the item you want is free.  ok well im done.. happy huntin..

Pe@cE

214938[/snapback]

You can't really say anything about their copy protection. They could spend millions on it and spend like 6 years, and any hacker with the right tools could crack it. Look at the psp, it's constantly being hacked. But still, if you don't support the corporations, people don't make money on making/selling games. Then, people will lose their jobs and nobody will make new games and the world will implode.

Please don't steal games. They're not exactly easy or cheap to make.

I think the main problem with games is the price. Look at Hollywood productions, which cost millions of dollars to make, and yet you can go buy the DVD in a few months, for about 1/3 the price of a new release game. Obviously, movies have the advantage of being in the cinema for revenue, but games, on the whole, would not cost more than a movie to produce. Also, with games you have to have the hardware. There's no doubt games are expensive to make, but make it more affordable to the masses (ie be less greedy), less will pirate, more will buy, and it should work out in the end.

My stance on the issure is:I agree with taking games you already own, if it be for PS2, XBOX, etc... and making it able to be played on a system of your choice (More than likely, a PC). I do not agree with downloading games that you do not own, or have not paid for, and using them yourself, or giving them to other people.

If there were no piracy life would become better for some ie: the Head of some game manufactorer can buy a whole new mansion in south of france... (just an example) and harder for others ie: some who can't buy the expensive games or the seller who needs money to live.. (that's not an excuse)

I'm not for piracy but the fact is: it will be there until something like a 128 bit alagorthim is introduced into a game... Sure owning a psp and seeing people get away with great games which you had to give an arm and leg for! :D;) but we have to live with it and accept such actions.. Then again if you are caught in my country with pirated software you are left for dead...! (in prison, Africa!)

So all you can really do is be happy accept other peoples actions and do what you think is right.. Sure no-cd hacks can be a great help esepecially if you have a laptop ;) but to use them for games which have been pirated and bought for 1 tenth of the price then i feel deeply sorry for them (or not), because they are criminals and have broken the law...!!!!.... Less pirated software = Lower prices and better games :D it's the way life works. So all you people who pirate software go be a better person and do everyone else a favour and don't pirate software.

Yeah and homebrew and the stuff is nice and all but really whats so great in have to play GBA games on a PSP!! sure SCUMMVM games on the PSP was great especially sam and max but I seriously don't see the use in having a PDA psp where you can just use your phone or PC.... The psp is for games, the odd movie and maybe showing off your pictures but having things like quake or doom please get real (oh now there is things like windows :D:D ) .. There are some great games now like GTA:LCS and Burnout. Good thing sony is making people upgrade using games like GTA you have to upgrade :D but they still overide that :D

oh well that's what I say and all opinion..

Enjoy Xmas and new year :D

The reason people turn to piracy is the cost of games. Around ?35-?40 for a game is pretty expensive, especially since most of the people who seem to buy games are kids, or young people, that have little or no money. Most game companies do seem to make a profit when they bring out a good game and don't when they make a crap game so while piracy is a major problem and does take away some of the profits luckily there are people who still buy these games so there isn't a major loss.Companies have put millions into making anti pirate software but like others have said hackers are always one step ahead and it isn't long until a new security program is quickly taken apart and made worthless.Another thing is the companies could reduce prices of their software. Sadly I don't think this will help that much either. Think about it. If you choose between paying for a product or getting the same product for free which would you go for? I still think piracy will occur even if games were cheaper because of the fact that people want things for nothing.

I think the only way to stop this piracy is to reduce prices a lot, most coorperations are allready millionair or even billionair and most games or software you buy today are absolete tomorrow.Lemme show you how those companies work:Software you buy today are allready developed like 5 years ago, in these 5 years they bring out version 1.1, version 1.2, version 1.3 and so on till the version you have now, just to get more money from it. They say these guys who hack and crack are the pirates, but those companies are the biggest pirates themselves.If they bring out software, the same week as it's invented, it would save us a significant amount of money and there would be less interest in piracy-software and such. (Same goes with HardWare by teh way)My 2 cents :D

Just thinking about piracy makes my blood boil. This is such an easy problem to solve but there are a lot of people in this world who are very greedy and don't care about others. If you want a game just go get a job, work a few hours and buy a game. 10 hours of work for a game that gives many days of entertainment is a pretty good deal.Every time I buy software I am enraged at people who pirate because I think about how much money I could have saved if people weren't being so greedy. If everyone purchased the software there would be trillions of dollars more in the market and prices could have been much cheaper for higher quality products. It's all because of criminals this doesn't happen.If people can't afford software then they shouldn't be using it. Everyone who pirates is a criminal. In my opinion the world would be a better place without people who just take without giving anything back.

Piracy really pisses me because they force companies to make harsher and stricter protections. Some of these protections like StarForce change fundamental programing in drives. It might ensure people cannot pirate some games, but I don't appreciate them changing vital code taking up system resources. However on the other side companies really piss me off when they release a half done game, promise a patch, and then 2 years later announce a patch is impossible. If they want us to uphold the contract they shouldn't back out on their word either.

Well if games wouldnt be so frickn expensive here in Mexico it would be a whole different story. I Mean paying about 80-90 dollars (about 800 -900 pesos) for a game is a huge rip off. So then there is people selling them at flea markets for about 500 -600 pesos when its original (they are stolen or something I dont know) and when they are pirate cd games they cost about 3 -5 dollars (30 - 50 pesos).So do you think piracy is going to stop ever this way? People want to play games, and their level of aquisition is way lower. There are more people living in third world countries then there are in other, and those are the ones that develop these sort of things. Stores are so stupid here, but its not really their fault, Its the stupid and ridiculous politics and taxes you have to pay here. Thats why the stores cant lower the prices because if they would, then no one would go to the flea market just to save 5 or 10 dollars. I bet everyone would but their games from a store and have their warranty or something, but all this is impossible since they have to pay 35% import taxes, 15% sales tax, plus the store has to pay water, gas etc. (the ridiculous thing is that they have to pay these even though they might not have a faucet or anything). Which makes the sellers have to sell their games at around 80 dollars to make enough money off of it. Thats why piracy exists, cause a lot of people cant pay the prices of original stuff.

Piracy is bad, I'm not going to deny that......but it's a "buisiness" that conforms to all of those who want "supply in demand". Yes, it is illegal, and yes, the companies are losing "big money" from all the hackers around the world.....but if you look at the bigger picture, there's not enough of them to really do any huge damage to the video game / music / movie industry. Sony, Nintendo, and M$ are all still coming out with brand new shiney objects for all of us to blow hundreds of dollars on, and people are still buying those systems, correct? No piracy group of people has been able to deal the video game industry such a large blow that Bill Gates has had to say "Well, looks like my profits are down.....gonna have to sell one of the talking gold toilets in my mansion". They're not going to go bankrupt from hackers and piracy. They still make money off of the video game sales as well as the rentals. The video stores pay the specific movie / video game company XX amount of dollars to rent out that game (it's a lot more than the actual price of the game). Then once that rental store makes enough money off of that certain title to break even, they sell it used, and make money off of that. So even if you have your hackers just renting games, copying them, and taking them back to the store, they're still helping the game industry out, whether they want to believe it or not.

Every time I buy software I am enraged at people who pirate because I think about how much money I could have saved if people weren't being so greedy. If everyone purchased the software there would be trillions of dollars more in the market and prices could have been much cheaper for higher quality products. It's all because of criminals this doesn't happen.

It's called inflation. Over time, the cost of living goes up, the cost of technology to build the latest and greatest system goes up, and in return, the price of games and accessories go up as well. Even if M$ had more $$ coming there way because everyone decided to become good little boys and girls and do the right thing, they would have still come out with the same 360 that you see flying off the shelves today

I will admit, I have a modded Xbox...but before you start jumping down my throat and run after me with pitchforks, let me tell you what I use mine for: To prolong the life of my games, music, and movies. Rather than putting a disk in everytime I want to watch something / play a certain game, it's stored on my hard drive already....saves me from having to go buy disk cleaners...even new games or movies if they ever got that badly damaged. I modded because I wanted to protect my investment because, just like almost everyone here has said, games aren't cheap. Nothing is cheap anymore. Not everybody here was waiting around for the midnight opening of the 360, ready to drop 300-400 on just the system alone, followed by games that are $49-$59....let's not forget about the wireless controlers that you can buy, the Xbox Live subscriptions....oh hey....did you get the HDD add-on? I'm sure I stand with a lot of people when I say "Screw that, I'll wait for the price to go down".

Piracy isn't the end of the world, people. There's that one phrase "To Each His Own". If you know someone who's pirating games, let em do it.....it's really not your place to tell them to stop. Sooner or later, they'll get caught, and if they don't, well they've done one heck of a good job doing what they do. There are a lot more serious things to be frustrated over in life than prices on video games. Here's an easy fix: You don't like the prices on video games? Stop buying them. The companies keep making games and selling them at prices that they do because.....guess what?? People buy them. Until everyone in the world decides "hey, these things suck, let's go do something else", there will be more and more systems coming out, with higher and higher prices, and the number of people who hack all of it will only get greater. Get used to it, because that's the way it's gonna be