xisto Community
semeticsister

Hope For Paralysis Victims? You have to read this

I heard somewhere that scientists have developed a way to help paralysis victims regain movement of their bodies again! How it works: Some electrical nodes are placed on the person's brain, and hooked up to a series of computers and machines. The person simply "thinks" of moving their leg, for instance, and that electrical brain impulse is transmitted through the nodes and all the wires, where it reaches the muscles. The muscles convert the impulse into a nerve message and then moves. How cool is that?! If only Chris Reeve were alive to see this...would've made all the difference in the world. Please comment on this, this is very interesting and I would like to hear your thoughts!!! :P

Yes, the concept of this is very interesting to me. I heard about this sort of thing a while back (maybe a year or two ago). I'm not sure if it was just theory then, or if it's even past theory now, but I'd be very interested in hearing more about the topic if I could find it.Thanks for reminding me about the possibilities! I'll have to look into it more when I get a chance. For now though, I have to head off to dinner :P

Chris Reeves' little tragedy is overrated. There are hundreds of paralized people that noone hears about, but when superman goes and finds himself hardly super, the whole world hears.Anyway, one wouldn't "think about moving" per se; one would move the same way they did before being paralized. It makes perfect sense, although hopefully they will either develop a method for regenerating/repairing/replacing damaged/dead/lost nerve tissue, or will be able to make the computers/nodes completely internal and much smaller, so one could go about their daily lives without needing to be plugged in like a vaccum cleaner.

Do you have any resources? I think that is cool but I guarentee it will cost you a ton of money to get it done. It would help those a lot who are paralyzed to have a new life to move. I bet eventually after you move it with the system you could get it to move on your own which would then basically waste the system after that but it will get the job done. If they could find a real cheap way to do it that would be great. I have always wondered if you could move say your leg up and down a lot with your arms or have someone do it for you, if you will start to get feeling in it again.

When that coming out? ;) Yea, that would be sick if there was such thing out, it would help many people. But the fact we would have to face is how expensive that would be. :)

They've been talking about this for years, true this would give paralized people the ability to look like they're moving but to get even a simple thing like walking to work would take more processing power and wired circuits that you might as well call them androids by the time they're done being worked on. This is a lovely happy theory to think of but it is still far too under-developed to even think about it happening anytime soon. It's more likely they'll develop methods for rebuiding/regenerating/replacing damaged nerve tissue before they come up with a feasible way of pulling this off... I'm still looking forward to the day they start making consumer jet packs that you can fly to your job everyday with ;) I hope that isn't too too far into the future :)

I don't expect that will ever happen, Vegikachu; it's inefficient and unnecessary.And I don't see why you would think that one would be "like an android" after being wired up; true, it may take a lot of processing power, but all the wires/chip would do is act as a go-between so that the damaged nerve tissue may be bypassed; it's hardly going to completely rewire one's body (once again, inefficient and unnecessary).

Oh, yeah; we'd better be sure to keep sharp objects out of people's bodies, or it may accidently strip the coating off of the wires, causing one to experience a huge and painful electrical shock. [/sarcasm]Shadow, the "wires" wouldn't be of the conventional type; they would probably be almost microscopic and most likely wouldn't be coated by anything. The electricity running through one's nerves isn't enough to produce an electric shock; the current would be small enough that the electricity would have a shorter path by travelling along the wire, versus the longer path of jumping to the surrounding flesh, which it wouldn't have enough power to do, anyway. For example, one cannot get a real shock from a triple-A battery; there's just not enough power.

Have a look at this device.
It just might work. It is faster than the laptop I am currently using to post this message and way smaller / lighter. Just might do what they are looking for.
$149 US ??? That's cheap. But it will require millions of dollars to research and program, I'd guess.

Well today in biology I actually figured out what happens to those nerve cells. They only grow at the very begining of your life and if you hurt them or whatever or lose them they don't grow back like all other cells. If they could come up with something that basically replaces their nerve it would be a miracle.

I heard somewhere that scientists have developed a way to help paralysis victims regain movement of their bodies again! How it works: Some electrical nodes are placed on the person's brain, and hooked up to a series of computers and machines. The person simply "thinks" of moving their leg, for instance, and that electrical brain impulse is transmitted through the nodes and all the wires, where it reaches the muscles. The muscles convert the impulse into a nerve message and then moves. How cool is that?! If only Chris Reeve were alive to see this...would've made all the difference in the world. Please comment on this, this is very interesting and I would like to hear your thoughts!!! :)

209943[/snapback]

Yes i have heard much about this. It actually developed from fake arms or legs that took back movement and turned it into arm movement. They have perfected this technology to ge safer by using gold rods or something like that to case the wires so the hazard of the wires is reduced. I do believe the operation does not cost too much but i don't have exact numbers to post, there might be several government web sites on this development or some hospitals might post thier research on the web.

Have a look at this device. It just might work. It is faster than the laptop I am currently using to post this message and way smaller / lighter. Just might do what they are looking for.
$149 US ??? That's cheap. But it will require millions of dollars to research and program, I'd guess.

A very interesting find, jlhaslip, but keep in mind that prices of new products always drop. If it could use a computer of that power, some an internal electrical system (using electricity generated by the body/brain), a program that could calculate the conversion algorithms, and some micro-thin wire to carry the current, this method may actually be avaliable (read: possible) at the present date, for probably not too much more than it would cost to have any other type of major surgery (still a lot, however).

Yes i have heard much about this. It actually developed from fake arms or legs that took back movement and turned it into arm movement. They have perfected this technology to ge safer by using gold rods or something like that to case the wires so the hazard of the wires is reduced. I do believe the operation does not cost too much but i don't have exact numbers to post, there might be several government web sites on this development or some hospitals might post thier research on the web.

Are you referring to the technology that goes with converting nerve impulses into eletric data, and then back to nerve pulses, or to the currently-used mechanical limbs (hooks) that move, as you said, by flexing one's shoulder?

That would be really cool if there was a way to "undo" paralysis. My brother is paralyzed from the waist down from when his camry got sided by an SUV. I was watching something about this about a month ago where they had someone moving a mouse on a computer screen with his mind.