xisto Community
cragllo

Making My Personal Site, Tips Please anythign will help

I already have a domain name, two infact, already hosted here. Sponk.co.uk and SponkIndustries.co.uk.

I want Sponk.co.uk to be my personal site and network homepage. Can someone please give me some tips on the best way to aproach this? How did you do yours? Did you use a CMS? Do it by hand? or coded your own?

I know HTML, CSS, PHP and what not, just need a little help in the ideas department.

Thanks,
Craig.

I don't really know you that well but if it is a personal site I would probably use a CMS. Maybe even add your own blog. I don't know if you have photoshop and can make a template but that would be a good way to make it look nice. It all depends on what you like. I know it is a personal site but what do you want to put on it. Make it however you would like if it is for your personal use.

well why dont you try putting a little intro about yourself and what you do. It would be great to put a slogan or menu at the top made in flash too. I have notice that many people like modern pages or the contary with an old skin or something, also urban art is well seen, i mean if you put some graffiti letters or like a used metal that would good a very good looking page.

I already have a domain name, two infact, already hosted here. Sponk.co.uk and SponkIndustries.co.uk.

I want Sponk.co.uk to be my personal site and network homepage. Can someone please give me some tips on the best way to aproach this? How did you do yours? Did you use a CMS? Do it by hand? or coded your own?

I know HTML, CSS, PHP and what not, just need a little help in the ideas department.

Thanks,

Craig.

208941[/snapback]

I like your logo but i really don't like the template. I think you should make the site more technical and flash. I think flash would really bost your site. ANd since your logo is green i think you should have a black or dark blue template with pointy features.

and from your site i know you are good at web design.i'd always coded it my self,yes,by hand.i think it's enough.by the site growing,you got the problems then solved it.it's a processing.but no need to use something like cms first beginning .guangdian

For a small personal site, use a blog software or light CMS. It doesn't look like you need anything as powerful as PHP-Nuke at the moment. You can do some quite good things with WordPress. Its easy to update and you can add static pages. As you say you know PHP, you can also adapt the pages to fit your needs.Good luck with the site.

Thanks for you opinions peeps, and yes I do have Photoshop.Also, im kinda suck of the 3 column layout of PHP-Nuke, Not Mambo, theres a nice CMS. I may end up either Coding my own from scratch the way I want it, or, Using some blog software like wordpress as you can easily add pages. I may even use a modified version of CuteNews and use it for my whole site. As for the drak blue background, yes, I think I will. Flash? No, a) because I cant do ood flash things, :P search engines cant read flash.I will work on this when I have a little more time, what with college and that.Thanks!

Thanks,

Craig.

208941[/snapback]

well you can do almost anything with all 3 of those lol...

if i were you its hard to get both on the same address but it could work as long as you have 2 templets really... for a network hompage im guessing more towards a buisness view and your personal just a cool page saying some stuff about you?

well heres how id do it for the personal i would use html all of those pages need to be simple and little confusion going on lol... depending on your use a darker tone of colors for the warm i want to stay here (dont do gothic unless your that type of person so i would say around a dark orange almost red to dark red and blue dont use black for a main color use it for accents or if you like this type of site thats bright and vivide lol... use colors like this taht are bright with dark colors as accents

Now for a networking webpage i would use php its a good start and is easy to coustimize but all of that stuff is but is normaly used for this type of stuff!

use brighter colors like here with a little darkness but you want people to get on it and just get waht they want and kinda leave... in a way that is... make it apealing and dont confuse them with a shity nav system or lots of words eveywhere that are worthless but yeah pm me if you need some more help!

CMS are always good for almost any kind of purpourse and/or bussiness project on the web. I guess you should try using Mambo. For me, at least, Mambo is by far, the best CMS on the web.

PHP Nuke is OK, but you better try Mambo :P

Cheers!!! :P

Thanks,

Craig.

208941[/snapback]

make it look interesting so that people will want to look at the whole site reater than just at the homepage