xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
freesoul

The Million Dollar Homepage One site that made a millionaire

Well, I'm not sure if this has already been discussed but here goes. How many ways can you think of to become a millionaire on the net? I'm not talking about starting your own Google or Yahoo! :P:) . Well there are few of us who can come up with something that brilliant. But here's an idea that's just abt crazy that it actually worked:

Create a page consisting of 1000x1000 pixels which has been didvided into small cells of 10x10 pixels. Now hopw about selling each of those pixels at $1 per pixel to advertisers. 'Well who's gonna buy that?!' - you say. Wait! Checkout http://www.milliondollarhomepage.com/ .

What started out as a venture to make some money for his college fees made this smart guy a millionaire. He's less than $300,000 away from a million and what sounds like cyber scam made him more that just his college fees. Now why didn't I think of that?!!!

- Freesoul

Creative.... That is a good idea to make money. Like always, there are people who follow along and copy. If you click on the little white cross with a red background it takes you to a similar page but in german.

BuffaloHELP  Posted Today, 10:22 AM  I am pretty sure this page has been discussed in our forum. Until I find or someone finds it this thread shall remain open. It is important that you SEARCH the forum before making a new topic.

I didnt know that either. Good thing I read it instead of accidentally doing it and getting scolded :) .

The key to making money in my opinion is to come up with somthing that is A.Original B.Visually appealing and B.Its cheap enough people wont think twice before buying it. I mean honestly people dont have to need it at all to buy it they just have to want it. I also think that selling lots of somtihng small is better than selling a few of somthing big because people really wont think twice if its cheap. They will just pick it up. Unlike a 5000 dollar plasma tv.

What a smart man indeed. Who would of thought to have people advertise on one big space? Well obviously that guy but that's besides the point. I did see a few places I recognize. People will just put their ad on there because it is famous and might get them a ton of hits. I agree with zach in saying that you have to be original because that was pretty original. This makes me want to think of something that would make me tons of money. lol *rubs hands together*

I've already seen that website and thought about it. It didn't work out too well in my mind. Theres way to many pages on that site. And it'll be almost impossible for one to find my site. Its possible, but that person will have to be really attracted to the pixel I bought, OR he's just going through all of them.

Wow, it read some stuff on that site that changed how I felt even more.I read the "Not sure if my pixels are worth buying" link you told me, and I saw how many pixels that each of those people bought. Thousands...In my mind, I always thought that one of those little tiny boxes was one pixel for some reason. So a thousand of those was just crazy. I read some more into the site, and found out that one of those little boxes was $100 each. :)I don't have the fundings to pay $100 for one little box...

@Gyad The problem is mutual man. I would also like to buy some pixels but then again I don't have the money. The webmaster dude is making really god cash. Checkout his blog which contains all the news from the day this site started. Its an amazing story.

I would never pay such a huge price just to advertise my website on a cluttered billboard-image that would only show one in a hundred times (unless I bought space on every billboard image, and there are over a hundred of them). It's just so cluttered that trying to focus on one ad out of the jumble gives me a headache. The website should be billboardchaos.comOn the other hand, it was a genious plan for the student to come up with to fund his college education. I'm just surprised that there are people stupid enough to spend good money on something so expensive and, chances are, unused as that for advertising.

Yeah i actually saw that today.. how freaky.. anyhoo. i how it is well smart and can make you a millionaire. Its soo weird when you see something like that because you would never think of something like that but when it comes to having or seeing it you would be like i want that.. that is so cool.. weird innit? :)

Currently, he's made $999 000 from his site! He started in August (that's less than half a yer)! Congratulations for making a million dollars in half a year, just by doing what you love :) . He's auctioning the last 1000 pixels in Ebay... the last time I checked (1 day after the auction started) the bid was already $36000 for his last 1000 pixels. Now why didn't I get that idea? lolHe has quite a few interviews in CNN and lots of people contacted him. Second Numa Numa type fame?

I find it funny that people can make money off such easy ideas...There are many things I have thought of that I look at and think "Who would seriously pay for that?!"....And then I see others do things similar and get rich off it.One of these days I'm going to quit being so against taking risks and just take a few and see how it pans out.Anyways, about his site...Keep in mind that it would not work for just anyone. It takes a social network to get there. No random person would just pop up and say "Hah, sure...Nobody has bought a square but I'll buy some from you!"