xisto Community
lacking_imagination

What Are Pros And Cons Of Ipods

I have the chance to get a 4 gig nano from best buy for $220... I'm wondering what the pros and cons of the ipod is, as I've heard a lot of mixed emotions about them... How is the quality of the device itself?Also, I don't have internet on my computer that has all of my music on it, will I still be able to transfer them to my ipod?And what all file types does it support? I have wma, atrac3 and mp3 files, so would I have to convert my whole mysic collection?Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

really, cause i haven't heard a single bad thing about them since they came out. the only thing that gets people is the price. I bought the shuffle recently and have to say it's the best buy i've ever made. the built it batter recharges in my usb port and last a week, and yes i know it's only a gig but it was cheaper than the jump drive i wanted to get, plus i get to listen to music. I guess when the battery dies i could still use it a drive.round

right to answer your question, you just have to install itunes on your computer. add all the music you want, attach you ipod and then just drag over the files, music and other to you ipod. It shows up on your side menu in itunes. It really the easiest thing ever. Plus itunes does all the conversions for you.round

Quite true. I also have an iPod Shuffle and it's a great little device. It'll definitely support MP3, but there are several different formats you encode/convert to when you sync it with iTunes. I'm starting to hear the difference between MP3 and AAC and I'm considering converting my music over to the latter format.Anyway, I'd also say go for the iPod. I think you'll be glad to have made the purchase!

I haven't had an Ipod myself. I do plan on buying one in the future once I make all my other purchases this holiday season. I am not sure which one to get but it might be a Nano. The only thing I think that would be bad about the Nano is that is could break very easily. My friend had it for a week and the back was scratched up very badily. It has games(solitare) on it though but can't really store that much music because of that. You can buy one for $200 at Wal-Mart.

Also if your planning on buying music online you must buy from apple because other stores put copyprotection on the wma files and they can't easily (with itunes) be converted to AAC.

Hey, thank you all for your input... the one I was looking at was a 4 gig nano, and it was $220, which is $30 less than the normal price... I don't see myself using more than 4 gigs of music, and I don't need video playback (PSP :)) so I think I am going to be getting it.Thanks everyone for your help!

Well I guess i have a chance to make a reply here that acutally means somthing :) lol because i my self bought a 4 gig black nano about a month ago. And all i can say is wow i love it. The other nice thing about it is that unlike the other ipods people honestly cant really say anything bad about the nano. First of all its Flash so there are no moving parts. Which means (not that you would) but if you did drop it there would be alot less chance of it breaking and i unfortunatly have droped mine from about three feet or so on to concreat.... nothing bad happened so i am very happy with mine. THe battery is good the color screen is great as well. THe only problem i have ran into is that they scratch very very easily, Your probably thinking "ya what dosnt when u drop it on concreat" no before that it was already scratched and yes it is just cosmetic but that is a little sad. However i think there are accersiories out now for it like the mini that can strap it on your arm and what not so that is a plus. ALl in all i would highly recomend that nano u wont be dissapointed. Zach

I would rather buy the Ipod Video. All the Nano is is just a little skinny things with color thats it. I would say its overpriced. The Ipod Video would be the perfect price. That has every option there is for music currently and also 30gb for $300 thats 100gb for every $100 you spend. So basically that would be cheaper than 4gb for $220 when all it is smaller.

I thought about the video ipods, but.. 1. I don't have internet on my computer to download the videos2. The screen is tiny for videos3. I have a PSP4. I don't need 30 gigs of storage. I use lower bitrates when ripping my mp3s, and I have 775 songs on the nano with 1.8 gb free... 4gb is enough for me. I really like my nano a lot, the interface is better than the other 3 mp3 players that I've had that broke on me. While it does scratch easily, that's why they make cases :)

there was an issue with the ipod nano's. Apple has admitted that they had a problem with the screens. They cracked and scratched extremely quickly. Some people had their nano screens cracked after only putting it in their shirt pocket for an hour. These people only had it in their pocket and didn't crush them or drop it at all. Apple basically admitted there was a manufacturing defect. I would be careful buying an ipod. If it was from the batch that first came out... it could have this problem. To be honest, I don't like Ipods. They are overpriced and you HAVE to use iTunes. I hate iTunes. Although, I have an iPod myself, the reason why I bought it is because all the accessories are made for iPod. I bought an iPod car connection unit for my car. No other mp3 player has that unit.

Pros: 1) Many people are having it, so you won't have any problems with support from peers for upgrading information, hacks, tricks and etc. 2) There are numberous books on IPod and ITune so even an idiot can be quite good at it.Cons: 1) It is fat, big, bulky and it looks terribly stupid. 2) older models have a old-fashioned monocolor monitor, which makes it quite interesting to historians 3) It runs on harddisk and you may have problems while taking it for jogging and etc 4) it is heavy 5) You have much better choices. 6) all of the above.

It appears that "The Register" didn't miss this subject:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
More and more people confirm that the iPod nano's screen is very sensitive and scratches easilly!

"I found that my black 4GB Nano scratched within minutes after peeling off the protective wrapper and wiping it with a cotton T-shirt. I put it in a pocket just once and it was inside the soft case that came with my third-gen iPod,"

Notice from jlhaslip:
Edit as per report

Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)