xisto Community
Cerebral Stasis

Ups Vs Fedex A vent concerning postal shipping.

If you want the package there the next day, use FedEx. However, FedEx has a designated pick-up time for every shipment location, so you will have to make sure the shipment/order is placed before this designated time or it will not leave until the next business day (causing your package to appear as though it is late, when if fact you just placed the order too late to go out that day). For my business, FedEx picks up from us at 3pm. All shipments needing to go out after 3pm won't go out until the next day.For international shipping, use DHL. The company originated in Europe and they really have their act together when it comes to overseas shipment. They are more experienced than both UPS and FedEx.For domestic shipping that does not require a specific arrival time, UPS is the best because it is the cheapest.The end.-reply by Mushimshi

Replying to Cerebral Stasis,30381,207258]UPS seems to give me the best service in my area- I expected my package in 3 days and recieved it in 1 from halfway across the country-I think you guys are being too hard on them..-reply by John

This is a pretty hard question for me to answer. More or less I completely disagree with either company. It may just be where I live at or something that is causing all of the issues but here are my issues for both companies.1)FedEx often, often brings packages way later than the delivery date. The driver always has some off the wall excuse as to why it took him an extra 3-4 days and when I contact FedEx about it they always tell me that it was delivered and so he's good to go. Along with this, the closest FedEx place is about 30 minutes from me and so it's not like I can just go figure out what is happening with my package.Probably worse than this is what happened the last time I got a package. It was 6 days past delivery date so I call FedEx. They tell me to go to one of their offices, the one nearest me(45 mins away) to get the package if it hasn't been delivered. We finally get there and give them the tracking code and they tell us that it's on a "contracted truck" meaning that the driver does not directly work with them and instead is just contracted to go out and deliver packages. Because of that I was told that they have no way of figuring out where the package is or even who has it, and all they can tell me is whether or not it has been delivered to my house.A couple days later, and after many phone calls I found the guy pulling in to our driveway at around 8 PM and all he does is apologize about how he was busy or whatever and fell a little behind with the deliveries. At that point I was too happy to actually *have* my package to say anything to him.2)My issue with UPS stems from both things I know for sure happen there and things I have had happen to me by them.I worked at UPS for a few months during the end of the year, and so I got a lot of experience about how packages get transferred and stuff there. We were told to toss packages, stand on them to get to others, we sat on them to eat our food, etc. because our supervisors told us that "if it breaks, it's their fault for not packing it properly." I completely disagree with this because even being fully packed in there are many different things that can still be harmed when packages are tossed around.On top of that I had a package that was 'delivered' to me one day by UPS...But it wasn't. I called UPS to figure out what was going on and they told me that it was delivered into a truck. Well I didn't even have a truck. So they said they would research it and figure out what he meant by that.About 2 days later I get the package and it's opened. It turns out the guy didn't know anyone was at our house and for some odd reason decided that it would be "smart" to drop it off at our neighbor's house. Neighbor ripped open the package, opened the contents, etc. which bothered me.Needless to say, I will not deal with either company again. I've had little to no problems with USPS and I'm fine with them.

I've had some pretty bad experiences with UPS in the past and fully agree with their nickname "Oops" (Also, to settle up that thing in the opening post, FedEx stands for "Federal Express"). UPS has delivered a bowl that my mom's friend sent her for Christmas one year in three pieces. There was a "FRAGILE" sticker on the top of the box, but they cared not, apparently. I fixed it with some super glue since it wasn't anywhere near as torn up as that poor Printer Scanner Combo, but the point still stands, they need to take some pride in their work and not throw stuff around, maybe even strap in things that say fragile in that big slow truck they drive.My own personal worst experience with UPS is their speed, or really, lack thereof. I paid extra for rush shipping or whatever it is... My package arrived in two weeks. If that's rush, I would hate to actually NEED something and not be able to pay for any kind of shipping aside from standard.As for DHL, I've only had one experience with them, and while they got the job done pretty fast, they skipped over my state (South Carolina) and went to Georgia. I don't really get that, especially since they got to Georgia in two days. From Georgia it was handed over to the USPS, which I will blame for the extra 4 days it took to get to me. Maybe we're all better off delivering our own packages...

I worked for one of those companies once.I won't mention whichone because I wouldn't want to be sued.The rate at which the trucksare loaded and unloaded is incredible. Packages are just basically thrown about,often with no regard forany 'fragile' sticker warning. If you are sending anything fragile through these companies,make sure youpad and protect it extremely well.I've seen what it's like.

I've worked in a FEDEX call centre before, we had nicknames for our rivals:
DHL - Deliver Half-way Lost
UPS - Undelivered Pending Shipment

HAHA "deliver halfway lost" that's a good one!
Personally I've only shipped with FedEx and it's great! Never had a single problem with them.

And regarding those photos of that printer... I agree, poor guy :)
That's some pretty major damage...

I worked for one of those companies once.I won't mention whichone because I wouldn't want to be sued.The rate at which the trucks
are loaded and unloaded is incredible.
Packages are just basically thrown about,often with no regard for
any 'fragile' sticker warning.
If you are sending anything fragile through these companies,make sure you
pad and protect it extremely well.I've seen what it's like.

Well said lol theres a company which works near my area called parceline and half of the stuff they deliver has been brocken or there is something missing off the item lol.

Totally AgreeUps Vs Fedex

I always hate ordering stuff on the internet that doesn't give the option to ship FedEx. UPS is sooo slow shipping stuff by any of their methods, and I completely do not understand that when shipping soemthing from California to Louisiana, it can go from Dallas to Jackson, MS, to Memphis, TN, then to Alexandria, LA before it gets put on a local delivery truck.  FedEx ground is almost always cheaper and like you said, they almost always deliver their packages early.  Even the government with their USPS can get packages here on time and cheaper. 

-reply by stormyknight

I also currently work at one of these shipping facilities. The other posters were spot on when they pointed out blame can usually go a lot farther than the company. The fact is that the volume we deal with either means your package will move slowly and we'll pack it very gingerly or it all moves quickly and packages are handled fairly roughly. If it is packaged well, there is nothing to worry about, and the repeat customers do pack well. 

As far as packages arriving late, the main cause I see where I work is companies getting the package to us late, or their truck arriving late. In the last few hours of the sort if we get slammed with late trucks people make mistakes sorting and it is more likely for a package to end on the wrong truck or outside a truck waiting to be taken to the correct one.

Also, imho, FedEx has been the fastest shipper, with USPS as the most reliable.

-reply by Loading Dude

USPS vS FEDEX VS UPSUps Vs Fedex

Statistically, USPS has a much higher rate of damages and theft than UPS and FedEx... So good luck.  It also shows that USPS has the lowest paid claim rate in the industry.  My Forbes and Parcel Industry Magazine did independent research on all of the carriers.  UPS came in much higher on customer satisfaction, delivery time, and low damages when it comes to Ground service.  Air, the two seem to be at parity.  They are both decent companies, but I prefer the guy in brown.  Very personable and brings my dog treats.

UPS = United Parcel Service = A Private Commercial for profit Company.FED EX = Federal Express = A Private Commercial for profit Company.USPS = Unites States Postal Service = An entity mandated by the Constitution of the United States for the purpose of dissemination of information.UPS and USPS are NOT the same. UPS is NOT a Postal entity. UPS has NOTHING to do with the government.In my experience: FED EX Overnight is VERY FAST. I ordered items from across the country and received them the next day. VERY EXPENSIVE.UPS is slower and also rather expensive. I have ordered items in the next county and received them 9 days later. Two packages were delivered to a similar address in another township with a different town name and zip code. But a vintage guitar was delivered safely clear across the country.USPS has been (for me) the least expensive and most reliable thus far.