xisto Community
electriic ink

Spreadinternetexplorer.com yep - at first i thought it was a joke

Whether or not it's a joke, it made me laugh. :) I can imagine them making up some fake blogs just for show, I don't think they could be serious. If they are... Well, I guess I don't feel too bad having a laugh at their expense.It is interesting though that SpreadFirefox has become big enough for parodies to arise. The market is opening up to new browsers, and even the Windows line of operating systems is losing some ground. In my opinion, this is a sign of progress against Microsoft's near-monopoly on the computer industry. It'll be nice to see things broken up a bit, and it might make things safer--it would make things harder for viruses, and malware wouldn't be compatible on everything.Let's hope this change of pace continues! :P

Why not get started? No-one who actually knows anything about these things is gonna take your opinion seriously anyway.

208745[/snapback]

People who THINK they know about standards won't take me seriously because they are too stubborn to understand how standards actually work. People who ACTUALLY know about standards will agree that the WC3 "standard" is just a pipe dream.

Talking down to people is simple. Everyone can do it. Now be quiet.

People who THINK they know about standards won't take me seriously because they are too stubborn to understand how standards actually work.  People who ACTUALLY know about standards will agree that the WC3 "standard" is just a pipe dream.

Are you now or have you ever been a professional web designer or work/ed in any other web development related field?

I personally use Internet Explorer 6... Why? Because I'm just used to it! (even though it sucks, but I use Firefox in my second os - SuSE Linux 10)

Believe it or not, you have to be an advanced user to use IE! I haven't caught any spyware or viruses using IE, but my friend ended up with a couple of "dialers", spyware programs, smiley central installations, additional explorer toolbars, "sexNOW" icons on his desktop and start menu etc. only after a week after his first day online! Why? Because he just clicked "yes" on any dialog that popped out mindlessly (most of them were offering him to install some sort of an ActiveX control). Some of those windows are asking you to install e.g. a new version of Macromedia Flash Player, while others are offering you "The Free XXX toolbar, get it now!", or worse "To view this site, you need to install this program" (aka - Heavy Duty Spyware).

One more reason why I use IE, despite my existing Firefox installation: Some sites have stupid popups, nag boxes or changed home pages that say "switch to firefox!" or "Internet Explorer has prevented you from experiencing a better internet!" - so, what's up with that? One of the Top10 unwritten rules for creating a website says: "I doubt that any of your visitors will switch over to another browser just to view your site". Additionally, when a bunch of newbies (that can barely use Google) start shouting "Firefox RuLeZ!!!111", my stomach makes a 180 degree spin... These creeps make me feel like Im joining a group of junkies, not Firefox users ;) Just take a look at those losers at the Spreadinternetexplorer.com forums! They don't have the human decency to even read what the website says, and find out that it's just a joke, instead they just go on straight to the forums and make one liner posts saying "F**k off! FF is the best!". Would you switch over if somebody made a suggestion like that to you!?

To make the long story short, I agree mostly with this site: http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/
Just use any browser that suites you best! Of course, I also agree that only one browser available out there is not enough, far from it, without Firefox, Opera or Netscape, we would probably be stuck with a buggy, slow, and feature-poor IE, after all, competition can do wonders! Firefox is another browser that will make the Microsoft staff scratch their heads and say Where did we go wrong?

PS: Although I did go a bit over the line here, let's try not to make this thread turn into a Firefox VS Internet Explorer flame :)

Are you now or have you ever been a professional web designer or work/ed in any other web development related field?

208996[/snapback]

Why should that matter? Web design has nothing to do with the concept of how standards work.

If you must know, I have been in the web development field (professionally), for just about the last 15 years. In terms of browsers, I have gone from Gopher clients (not really a browser, or HTML, but it was all we had... ) to Mosaic to Netscape to IE and everything in between. Don't even try to tell me what I do and don't know about browsers and WC3 standards.

Why should that matter?  Web design has nothing to do with the concept of how standards work.

I asked cos the last time this discussion came up the points you were making sounded like they came from someone with no experience in this field. I made the wrong assumption.
Fair enough if that's your take on things - it's certainly not mine and you're definitely the only person I know who holds those views.
I could argue the toss with you over this but I can't be bothered really. You're obviously comfortable with your position, as I am with mine and it's highly unlikely anything said by either of us would change the other's position.

Man, that site is almost like spreadfirefox.com - the guy used the same looking CMS (or got some professional to copy it for him - don't ask me). Anyway, who needs to spread IE (to bad there's no 's' for me to write as '$') when it's on 95% (and shrinking) of the world's PCs? I have no complaints about FireFox, and I use a sister of it, Netscape 7.2, for day to day use.
Edit: Hold on a second, he did copy the Mozilla site's theme. Here's the code:
On spreadinternetexplorer.com:

<style type="text/css" media="all">@import "themes/spreadfirefox/style.css";</style> <style type="text/css" media="screen">  <!--   @import url(themes/spreadfirefox/modules.css);   @import url(themes/spreadfirefox/nav.css);   @import url(themes/spreadfirefox/layout.css);  --> </style>
On spreadfirefox.com:
<style type="text/css" media="screen">  <!--   @import url(themes/spreadfirefox/modules.css);   @import url(themes/spreadfirefox/nav.css);   @import url(themes/spreadfirefox/layout.css);   @import url(themes/spreadfirefox/homepage-insert.css);.style7 {	font-size: 14px;	font-weight: bold;}.style9 {font-size: x-large; font-weight: bold; }     --> </style>
Quoted to prevent earning of excess credits.

Edited by michaelper22 (see edit history)