xisto Community
Becca

My School Website Bexley Grammar School

This is my school website.. in my opinion it's nice, plain and loads extremely fast. It's got quite a few detail on it.. like GCSE scores etc... our school is a grammar school as you can tell from the school's name.. which means it's boffins-land.

Anyways some teacher asked me and some boy to re do it.. I'm not I am going to though because the other guy has already started on it.. but if I am.. what do you think I should do with it? You can list anything. I can't do flash though but I reckon I'd learn quite quickly.. if i actually tried.. school colours are navy blue..

i don't think the school needs a new layout..but the teachers do .. so yeah..

my school website

This is my school website.. in my opinion it's nice, plain and loads extremely fast. It's got quite a few detail on it.. like GCSE scores etc... our school is a grammar school as you can tell from the school's name.. which means it's boffins-land.

Anyways some teacher asked me and some boy to re do it.. I'm not I am going to though because the other guy has already started on it.. but if I am.. what do you think I should do with it? You can list anything. I can't do flash though but I reckon I'd learn quite quickly.. if i actually tried.. school colours are navy blue..

my school website

203069[/snapback]

i dont see anything wrong with the website either, it seems fien to me, except that you have to scroll to the left more, which means their is an allignment problem...

thats your browser the alignment is fine, but was looking at the source code and sure know how to waste space on it, crunch down some of that wasted space to what is actually needed in the source code it would be even smoother, but it is i good set up with the Iframe tags they used.

I'd keep everything where it is, just add some more color to everything. Background color. Keeping it in the range of dark and light blues. One for the header, one for the footer, main navigation, and side navigation.

I'd keep everything where it is, just add some more color to everything. Background color. Keeping it in the range of dark and light blues. One for the header, one for the footer, main navigation, and side navigation.

203115[/snapback]

actually yeah, it definatelly is lacking some color... it's just to plain right now... spruce it a bit up with mild tones that are not dark nor too bright, pleasing color's/relaxing like truefusion suggested :)

Ya I would definately hadd some color. You could make the navigation more visible. Maybe add a mouseover javascript effect making it blue when you highlight it maybe. Maybe put it in a different area or something. I don't know, just experiment with stuff.

Becca, I agree with the gist of the comments posted above. It is a nicely laid out site. It could use some colour as suggested but keep it tame in deference to the school's conservative image.Reviewing the source code, it is a table-based site. Your challenge would be to convert it to an xhtml / css based site, using no tables for structure. Validated strict, of course. It would be quite a 'feather in your cap' if you were to do this.

my school website

203069[/snapback]

Looks fine to me too...

Now... heres what you NEED to do. The iframe looks horrible! You need to rename everything .php and then use includes on everything. You can still have the seperate files you edit but everythign will load and seem like its in the page. That way its esiar and auto expands. Unless you want the iframe of course.

it's really a nice flat loading fast templates,but as you said i have the same experience with you.we are the technologies,or web designer,but the other are not.for example the boss,the teacher,the site owner.yes.they don't know the web designing,they just have the impression that " this dynamic site is interesting"or"that's a good animation,we should do the same like that"my last boss is a man like that,he just let me do that,do another but he is a fool,he had none even a little knowledge of web desinging so i fired him.it' is a Wrong that,the peple don't know much knowledge of desinging to admining the people of designer.guangdian

Now... heres what you NEED to do. The iframe looks horrible! You need to rename everything .php and then use includes on everything. You can still have the seperate files you edit but everythign will load and seem like its in the page. That way its esiar and auto expands. Unless you want the iframe of course.

Now let's not be to rash, there is nothing wrong with iframe. Everybody always says iframes are a bad thing, but they are part of the wc3 recomendation, therefor they are fine. And be careful who you go around telling to use php includes, firstly do you know the server they are using suports php? Do you know if they know how to do php? And to the best of my knowledge php includes don't scroll. So if they were wanting to scroll then it wouldn't work. That being said, it really should NOT scroll, and I personal love php includes, but I see far to many people on this forum telling others to use php includes, without much follow up help.

Ok sorry then. I would use PHP includes on ym site except for some reason my images show above the includes. So on this iste, the iframes good. But I meant scrolling lke where the page scrools.. like where it will make your page longer lol. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I don't think that the current layout for the school site should be changed seeing how there is no problem with it. Right now it's easy to navigate and the layout is very clean. Although it's not the best looking layout I think it is very suitable for a school site.

Like most people here I can see nothing wrong with the aesthetics of the site. Perhaps a little bit more colour, but only hints here and there of the blues, would look quite effective. The code is all a bit jumbled up and padded out, and it should be brought up to the standards of W3C. I've never been a huge fan of iframes as they lower compatibility.

I've also been asked to redesign or make websites for my school, they have a separate one for each department :) Two of the briefs I've had have been "Make it flashy, but don't use flash, its too slow." and for the other one, we had just finished making a leaflet for the department, using Publisher, and the brief was "I like this leaflet, do the website exactly the same." For reasons of sanity I couldn't make the site in Publisher, so I had to take the whole theme out and do it manually :)

If they want the site a bit more 'active' then I would suggest using flash or perhaps some small, unobtrusive JS, but don't go over the top! Its very easy to get carried away using thousands of pointless JS that no-one actually wants.