xisto Community
EricDrinkard

Free Html Editor

I personally code using PHP Designer, but it's not free.I used to use Notepad++, but somehow I like Notepad2 much more, as it is more simple, of course with less features, but most of it is enough, using a paid alternative like PHP Designer, the live PHP syntax and etc. is really convenient :P

That's not all that Open Office offers. What i loved about it was that it offered pdf export. Also the high compatibility with Microsoft Office. If you're not forced to use Microsoft Office i don't see why you would chose it over Open Office. It does the same thing... and it's free. It has my respect !

i think you can also download Microsoft Expression, their upgraded software version of the now defunct Frontpage. hahahah It just hit me Front page was actually called Frontpage Express. so I guess Expression is trully a direct decendant of Frontpage.its a small program that does not take up as much space as most HTML, WYSIWYG compilers. I havent used it that much becauser I'm a dreamweaver person but i was travelling and needed to finsih some work I was doing and I downloaded Expression of Microsoft's site. Its only like 116 MB and I was using it with ease within 2 minutes of installation. It has a nice CSS view which makes it so much easier to see the source CSS of any part of the webpage. I think learners will find thios easy to use and of course they can use Expression to Express themselves.

Hi!Notepad++ is open source and free! I love Notepad++ too and I use it for quick edits, though when I'm working on something complex I switch to Adobe Dreamweaver, which is commercial software. I haven't had a chance to look at the HTML editor in Open Office though I don't really like using Open Office except for when I have to edit documents, spreadsheets, and presentations due to its long startup time.The folks at work provide me with a bundle of Adobe software - the Adobe Master Collection. It includes Adobe Fireworks, Illustrator, Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver, Acrobat Professional, InDesign, and lots of other stuff from Adobe. I often using Microsoft Visual Studio when editing HTML within an ASP.NET project, but it's primarily because most other editors don't provide autocomplete support, which Microsoft refers to as Intellisense, when working with the ASP.NET tags. In addition, when using the Microsoft ASP.NET MVC framework, an enhancement that works over the traditional ASP.NET WebForms framework, we frequently have to use server-side code - even for generating the FORM begin and end tags, the INPUT tags for the form fields, the SELECT tags for dropdown lists and list boxes, and the LABEL tags to associate labels with the form fields. Although some developers may have simply included in the HTML tags manually when working with the ASP.NET MVC framework version 1, the ASP.NET MVC framework version 2 automatically generates the code required for form field validation and thus provides a compelling reason to use server-side code for generating the HTML markup for the forms.Just as I use Microsoft Visual Studio when working with ASP.NET solutions, I use Eclipse when working with PHP or Java JSP projects, and occasionally use NetBeans for Java JSP projects. Eclipse is quite popular as a platform upon which to build integrated development environments for software and web developers, and there are a couple of HTML editors that are based on the Eclipse platform as well. Aptana is a pretty good example of an IDE built over the Eclipse framework for HTML and Javascript development. Aptana did support PHP earlier, but dropped support for PHP scripts in later releases.Adobe Dreamweaver is quite simple to use and it provides autocomplete and snippets for most common functions. I have not been able to get autocomplete for writing jQuery within Adobe Dreamweaver yet, but Dreamweaver does have plenty of commercial add-ons and I'm sure there must be one out there that enhances the auto-complete abilities of Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver also provides limited autocomplete for ASP.NET, JSP, and PHP scripts. Some folks out there use an alternate Javascript library, such as Mootools, ExtJS, Prototype, Scriptaculous, YahooUI, and any of the other popular Javascript libraries out there. jQuery has become the more popular of the lot and is here to stay, so it would be really neat if the HTML editors with autocomplete include support for jQuery, if not for any of the other Javascript libraries.@mandlaThe name Expression didn't come from Frontpage Express, but is rather another creation from their marketing team. The Express suffix usually indicates a product that Microsoft provides as freeware but with reduced functionality. For example, the Microsoft SQL Server Express edition is limited when compared to another of the other editions of Microsoft SQL Server, such as the Standard or the Enterprise editions. Similarly, the SQL Server Management Studio Express edition does not provide complete functionality, even when using it to connect to the full version of the database server - the database server includes a full-featured edition of the SQL Server Management Studio.

Now Open Office is not the best of tools for HTML editing since OO is more for Office Applications similar to Word or Publisher etc. The best HTML editing app for free that I can think of is Notepad++. It is perfect in the sense that it highlights the different areas of code of the HTML and it's very easy to find what you want to edit + it's very lightweight and can be used in many OS's, it's also Open-source I think??Notepad++ also supports more than just HTML language, you can code in PHP, C++, JS and many many more languages.

Hi!@kosmikI believe a good HTML and CSS editor ought to support a What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get (WYSIWYG) interface that web designers can use to quickly get the intended appearance for a web page. Although writing HTML and CSS manually does result in cleaner code, ther are times when something repetitive has to be performed, such as applying a particular CSS class to multiple paragraphs that are nested within multiple DIVs on the site. These can easily be selected in some WYSIWYG editors and the CSS class name can be set simultaneously for multiple selected elements.Notepad++ is a text editor that can edit many different kinds of files and although it supports syntax highlighting, it does not provide the autocompletion features and code references that some other editors provide. Adobe DreamWeaver is pretty much the ultimate in HTML and CSS development as it provides both a WYSIWYG (designer view) and source code based (coder) interfaces. It can manage files located on a remote server and can integrate with other Adobe suite tools.

When it comes to html editing there is non better than dreamweaver, provided by ADOBE. The reason why dreamweaver is so easy to use is because of its user friedly features and ease to understand in the graphical interface. You don't need to memories long monotonous codes; if you want an image placed somewhere on your webpage simply drag it there. When your finished Dreamweaver also alows the user to so the outcome of his site without actually having to upload it.

If you mean an HTML editor as in "a software that edits HTML files per se", I could say that gedit is the best in business. Notepad++ is also good but it is so Windows-y. If you mean an HTML editor as in "a WYSIWYG app with a drag and drop UI" then I think Dreamweaver is a good choice, though I'm not sure of it since I code HTML manually.