xisto Community
dymondgurl

Linux, Linux Users, Linux Community, Etc. Me expressing my hate for Linux

For years now I have been trying to get away from windows and explore other operating systems. With all the security flaws in windows its no wonder people want to try to find something else that is secure. So I did my research and I read a few things that said that Linux, Unix, and FreeBSD was the way to go. So I tried my hand in it. I read the disclaimers and all that. I know that they say that it is difficult to start out and it is totally different from windows operating systems. But what I dont understand is why they choose to make everything so darn difficult. Yes, I said choose. Just now I'm reading a quick start read-me file for the ubuntu distro based on debian and it says to add repositories and DOES NOT EXPLAIN WHAT THE HECK A REPOSITORY IS. I've been to IRC channels and try to talk to Linux users to get help and they are all jerks. No one wants to take the time to explain anything to you. The manuals and tutorials are crap. And the GUI looks like poop! So I ask, what is so great about Linux anyways? I haven't seen anything to impress me yet. It was only my curiosity that drove me to check out Linux but it sucks.Reasons why it sucks:1) Drivers for linux are impossible to find and most of them are written by some college nerd that pretty much might be the same person writing viruses for windows.2) The GUIs (desktop manager or whatever they call them :huh: ) look terrible. I've downloaded themes for gnome and it still looks like poop.3) Installing applications are impossible. You open up terminal (command prompt thingy) and type a bunch of mumbo jumbo and you still get errors and nothing ever works right. You have to be a rocket scientist to figure that crap out.4) Everyone who uses linux is some egg head nerd that thinks he knows everything so why would he WANT to help you. Hence, the Linux community are a bunch of snobs. *flips bird*5) The initial installation process takes like 4 score and 7 years. I mean really, what the heck is it installing all that time? I've tried debain, ubuntu, and fedora, all the same crap.6) Cause I said so.No more will I attempt to use linux.

I have suse 9.3 installed to dual boot on my laptop.It installed without any problems and loaded drivers for all my hardware.Visually it looks very similar to windows and the desktop background looks stunning.It is all GUI driven and works perfectly.It has the advantage of being able to modify the text config files to configure it more specifically to your needs ..... i suppose this is where being a nerd comes in handy.

I also used to use Linux, but like you said, there were NO applications that were useful for me! I couldn't even find a driver for my network card! Even if I found an application, it took me like a day to figure out how to install it....It was a good file server until I was just fed up and went back to Windows....

I think Linux is a very good alternative to windows, but its not yet as easy to use as windows. I used to think the same thing about linux, I was just like you (probably still am just a little bit) the only reason I wanted to install it is because I wanted to see for myself what the big deal was, and just like you I wasnt really impressed. The main purpose for linux right now is networking, some friends I stick a lot with like it very much, as do the programmers. The only way to love linux is to hate windows (which I dont), Im not using it right now because for everything I do windows is easier, but Im not denying the fact that we will see linux competing with windows in the next couple of years. I think that some distributions have a very big future, and some very good programs are being made (right now you can find a good web editing program called Quanta wich is really awesome, way better than dreamweaver, there is also gimp for graphics, not as good and pretty as photoshop but for being free I think its awesome, I have yet to try this audio editing program which I forgot what its called,just like this there are more programs) It does take time but I think its worth learning new things.

No offense intended, but this sounds like a typical response from someone who does not understand the operating system or is unable to use it effectively. I'm not arrogant or foolish enough to think that using Linux automatically makes you 'elite' or any better than someone who uses Windows, but there is no denying that Linux is quite excellent - and it's free.

Most distros are ment for the Power User, meaning that a computer newb won't have a clue what to do. I've had a computer since the DOS-SHELL's and I still cannot figure out how to use linux. But, without linux, our lives on the internet would be very diffucult. Most web serversout there run some kind of linux distro, because it is a no BS operating system. They even have cell phones that use linux! If you are a hardcore gamer, or a plain guy that just knows how to use a basic computer, before getting a distro, do some studying first. Learn the basics of linux so you know how to use it. It takes practice to learn how to use linux. People went through the same thing after windows came out. They didn't know how things worked, and they took classes, bought books, etc... To sum it up, give linux a chance. It will be worth you while.

As i check Distrowatch.com every day in the last 3 months since i've set up my mind on linux i've learned and seen a lot and one thing is sure: there's a linux distribution for everyone and in many cases linux desktops look better than windows and can be way better customized. As about user-friendlyness just lately there's a real fuss on making linux very user-friendly. The only 2 big problems i see at linux this days is bad hardware support from manufacturers and the lack of will from people who don't give it a chance. When windows came up we did't have other nice alternative and we stuck with it gettinG nervous and hitting our heads into walls and thus we learned it and now we're happy. If the same would be done with linux many of us would use linux as it's free and there is a lot of open-source software for about everything. Personally i lack CAD software in linux and am not happy with the commercial ones and gamers lack 3d accelerated support (which lately is solved on many distros)and lack of games written for linux.As mentioned already Suse is very user friendly, same is Mepis,Ubuntu,PClinuxOS,Xandros-not free-,and so on. Almost every distro fights to get as user-friendly as possible and make most of tasks automated so that the user won't bother with network configuration and so on.My advice would be to get a live cd of some distros and check them out.There are many, i would suggest Mepis or Ubuntu (kubuntu if you want a more Windows-like desktop).ah, and check up http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ .Cheers!

Wow... my boss wanted me to explore other operating systems for their pc's, incliding Linux ;) After reading all this, I better not go into that, knowing that the pc won't survive (pc+window=no good)Anyways, after all this programming they did on Linux, there should be available drivers, software and all, but where-ever I look, everything runs on windows and Linux versions for most software is way too hard to find, those peoples who made windows and those who made Linux better fuse and make a operating system wich is both secure and easy in use. ;)

Before you go complaining about something that is for the most part free (except for distributions like Red Hat) you have to realize the limitations of anything that is free. The Linux developers do not program as a full time job most of the time. If you are not spending all of your time doing something like the people who created Windows how can you compete with them. Microsoft is a multi billion dollar company with millions of dollars who can hire full time programmers and lots of them. You always have to sacrifice if something is free.

I tried Linux a couple of times, but never on a computer that I owned or used regularly. I honestly didn't find it too bad. I guess I never had to get into installing things and finding drivers, but I was 14 at the time, and I didn't find it hard to grasp at all :\ Maybe I'm odd?

I've been wanting to dabble in Linux for awhile, because I'm convinced there is something a whole lot more efficient and stable than Micro$oft's Windows. Time has just not permitted me to dedicate the amount of time it would take to learn a new operating system. I have since upgraded a few times from my crappy IBM Thinkpad 365XD, but I still own it nevertheless (I suppose due to sentimental value :lol). I'd like to put Linux on that, partly b/c I've heard others do it, and mostly because the memory is only upgradable to an embarassing 40 mb, and it couldn't handle the recent upgrades (or downgrades depending on how you look at it) to Windows. If anyone has any tips, or advice on how I can start this project (distros, instructions, etc), feel free to post.Thanks in advance. ;)

Our professor tasked us to install Gentoo(one of the most difficult) Linux a few days ago in a 1.2 GB harddisk! It was very painstakingly irritating because you have to boot from cd and type everything, every command including the partitioning, making the files system and compiling and installing KDE (it's GUI). There's no next button and no install wizard but at least it takes very little space. We never thought everything would fit into 1.2 GB of disk space but apparently it did!

Installing Linux alone is far more difficult than windows and you have to rely on its manual to really get things right but once you get things done it is fulfilling. The GUI is fantastic! It looks like it was created using java and the graphics are super clean. Bu the most important thing probably about it is that it works really well even with an old x86 PC and 64 MB RAM. But then again you can't exactly bring your Windows applications to the system because they wouldn't work, I would probably have dual boot (XP and Gentoo) on my PC next time and install PHP, MySQL and Apache on Gentoo and the rest of course on Windows. ;);)

The new gentoo instaler will be totally GUI and seems to make everything easy. You will still need to make some choices because that's Gentoo about: tweaking and getting the most highly performance out of your PC. But it will be just like selecting things and checkboxes."Asteria Solutions Group, Inc. has taken the latest gentoo installer for a test drive. It's not finished yet, but promises to bring the powerful distribution to a larger base of users.". See http://www.osnews.com/story/12995. Cheers!

I haven't installed Linux yet (I will soon, though), but I wanted to reply anyway. Linux is very different from windows. It's not meant for users who just want to play games and organzie their photos. It's for power users that want to dig deep into their machine and get the most out of it. They don't need GUIs; all they need is the CLI. If you don't like the way Linux does what it does, go back to Windows. No one is forcing you to use Linux.